Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2014 Mantra equivelent?

What is the equivalent of a 184cm 2014 Mantra? (that is the 98mm underfoot, the last year before Volkl went rocker crazy)

Stiff, damp, 94-102mm underfoot, mostly traditional shape/camber with slight tip rocker?

Baxter blew her Mantra's underfoot edge out today. Brosia and I will need to replace our Mantras soon as well.

I was eyeing the Liberty Variant 97, but it has basically zero rocker. The 179cm Variant is SO much softer than even 177cm Mantra while the 186cm Variant 97 is both stiffer than a 184cm Mantra and has an edge length more like a 191cm Mantra.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Down showdown 95.
    (If only slightly more to rocker? )

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Down showdown 95.
    (If only slightly more to rocker? )
    That looks sweet, but where do you get them? Looks like direct purchase only and they ship outside the EU.

So you want flat tail, stiffish, metal and early tip rise? Sounds like the Fischer Pro Mtn 95 ti or the older Motive 59 ti. I tell people that the Motive 95 is like an older Mantra with early rise/tip rocker.

Fischer Pro Mtn 95 looks like it got a bit less damp vs the Motive 95 in the name of lightness

This is basically an every day driver up to 4"

Nordica Enforcer 93/100?
    Head Monster 98?

Enforcer compared to a Monster? Very different skis. You know that.

The Monster is closest to the old Mantra, but has zero anykind of rocker or early rise until this year's model and that is negligible but it def has some.

Jeez, grab Cinnepa's for $200. So cheap.

Might take a look at the Armada Invictus 95 or 99. The 108 is very solid, super damp and smooth, the narrower models have the same construction.

Up to 4"? The Kenja at 90mm might be worth a consideration. Kendos for you. MY son loved his Mantra Jrs and when he put on enough weight, I got him the Kendos while looking for Mantras and discovered the full rocker. He loves them for everything. A friend who loves previous Mantras bought the Kenjas for his wife who love's them.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Up to 4"? The Kenja at 90mm might be worth a consideration. Kendos for you. MY son loved his Mantra Jrs and when he put on enough weight, I got him the Kendos while looking for Mantras and discovered the full rocker. He loves them for everything. A friend who loves previous Mantras bought the Kenjas for his wife who love's them.
    These are ripping former race ladies. They rock 177 or 184 Mantras so the Kenja would be a small park ski for them.
    For their every day driver, they don't like tail rocker and don't want a ton of tip rocker (they've tried), so the Kendo is out. They have DPS and 4FRNT for their rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That looks sweet, but where do you get them? Looks like direct purchase only and they ship outside the EU.
    I got mine in the pre-season order direct from DOWN.
    I can't say enough about how good these are for their intended use. They rail, are super stable and damp and the low tip rise / shape is great.

A little wider underfoot, but, the Meier Doc is a similar ski. Very solid construction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

These are ripping former race ladies. They rock 177 or 184 Mantras so the Kenja would be a small park ski for them.
    For their every day driver, they don't like tail rocker and don't want a ton of tip rocker (they've tried), so the Kendo is out. They have DPS and 4FRNT for their rockers.
    Hmmm. Maybe I mis-remember what I was told, but I was under the impression the Kendos were like a narrower version of the older Mantras. Watching my kid rip on his got me interested and went through this last spring. The Invictis and Head Expereince were on the radar at that point in time. I ended up with the Renoun Z90s and love 'em as a daily driver (ie, more firm snows and variable conditions) and into some shallow powder and crud.

Curious, if they are former racers, why do they need mid-90s and above for daily drivers.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

If you found a ski you love, buy another pair used. They're very popular so it should be easy to source on CL or ebay.

What about some NOS or used MX98 ..... though might not have enough early rise ? I recently grabbed a set in 174 to be my travel ski. Also available in 184.

Check Ski Essentials website for a review on the newest “M5” Mantra.
    Also, I saw over at Pugski a link posted to Volkl’s new line up and there is also a V-Werks Mantra with metal.

I might be willing to part with a minty pair of 2014 Mantra 184's, I'll give it some thought. One prior mount for tele bindings, I mounted 916's at 305.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    If you found a ski you love, buy another pair used. They're very popular so it should be easy to source on CL or ebay.
    Yes, this.

What is the equivalent of a 184cm 2014 Mantra?....
    Answer: a 184cm 2014 Mantra

The Mantra was such a hype-driven hit, right from its first year, that other companies just had to copy it and get in on the hype. So if you want to try other copies of Mantras, then also look for used Nordica Enforcers, Salomon Sentinels, etc.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Take a look at the Stoeckli Stormrider 95 in a 183 length.

Come pick up my wailer 95s foundation construction... take 'em for a rip.

I'll even get you a 1/2 price ticket for the day and a place for you and the lady to stay....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Bonafides? Mrs Snapt T is a ripping former ski racer and loves hers.

Search CL and hoard the skis you love. Some has them and doesn't like them. They're ready to sell. Finding them is the hard part.

The most similar ski that I've been on is the rossignol e100. Lots in common with that vintage of mantra. Much in common between those two skis. The e100 was a real outlier compared to the rest of the Rossi line. Not sure how the latest version compares.

Parlor Cardinal 100, you can get it in 2-3 camber profiles. Don’t be afraid of their ‘full reverse camber,’ it’s basically flat. Some used sales out there on CL/FB/ demo days.

I'll throw out another vote for the Bonafide. Stout and damp with just a bit of tip rocker, but the lengths might be a bit off, although they do measure shorter than the indicated length. And Lord Thomas is also right about the Rossi E100. They are solid with a very traditional shape and damp feel. There should be a bunch out there for cheap. The Temptation 100 is the same ski with "feminine" graphics.

Kastle or, oddly enough, Rossi. I actually prefer the (livelier) Fischers and (looser) Blizzards, but my die-hard Volkl buddy doesn't find them Volkly enough. I bet the right (older?) Stoklis would work too, but I've heard they've jumped on the lightweight wagon recently, at least with some models.

2014 Mantra equivelent?

At the beginning of the season there was a pair on ebay. 2013 184 Mantras mounted with pivot 14 but never skied. Minty.

Buy it now price under $275 including shipping.

They went unsold and never re-listed.

I should have snagged them just to pass along.