Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Backcountry Ski Helmet

Looking to get a backcountry ski helmet. I have used BC helmets for a long time initially just packing the helmet and for the past couple of seasons using a Mt. Bike enduro helmet and wearing it both up and down. Works pretty good but I want to step up my protection a bit so thinking about a light BC specific helmet to do the same. So, kinda have it down to these two but open to other suggestions. The two are the Salomon Mt. Lab and the Salewa Vert helmet(Dynafit). Any thoughts?

The Mammut Alpine Rider is fantastic and rated for both skiing and climbing. Lots of options to customize, ears in/out, dial in the back. I've seen a few guides using the Black Diamond Vector even though it is technically a climbing helmet. There is also the Camp speed 2.0 which seems popular with the skimo crowd.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

No experience with either of those, but use and like a CAMP Speed, BD Vapor is another option

Petzl Sirroco. Or Hat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

I have been skiing in a Mt. Lab this winter. Compared to the BD Vector (which was my helmet the last two), it's maybe a touch warmer...but that could just be down to warmer temps this winter.

I really like it .The peace of mind of knowing it can actually take a ski fall is nice, plus the goggle strap/ venting is a definite upgrade from a climbing or biking helmet.
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 10-03-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

BD Vapor is real nice + real light + real breathable with a great adjustment range, though I can't say I've tested its brain-protecting-ness yet. If I were buying a properly ski-certified helmet I'd get the CAMP.

Smith Maze? Maybe a couple of ounces heavier than the Camp but looks more substantial, has MIPS and proclaims to be the "worlds lightest fully certified snow helmet.'

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Looking to get a backcountry ski helmet. I have used BC helmets for a long time initially just packing the helmet and for the past couple of seasons using a Mt. Bike enduro helmet and wearing it both up and down. Works pretty good but I want to step up my protection a bit so thinking about a light BC specific helmet to do the same. So, kinda have it down to these two but open to other suggestions. The two are the Salomon Mt. Lab and the Salewa Vert helmet(Dynafit). Any thoughts?
    I’ve been using the Salomon Mtn Lab helmet for a couple of years now, and am completely happy with it. It seems to provide the protection and durability of a resort skiing helmet, at the weight of a rando racing helmet.

Pret Cynic. As light as the Smith Maze but ventilated. And reasonably priced.

The Salomon MTN Lab is also nice but a bit bulkier and not as light as stated (heavier than both Maze and Cynic) but is dual certified. The Ski Trab helmet looks worth considering.

IMH (and unscientific) O most climbing helmets are not going to do well in a real ski crash - just not much side protection. If you’re going to bother with a helmet, get a ski rated one at a minimum. My Cynic with ear pads removed is less than 4oz heavier than my BD Vector.

Mtn lab ftw

I'm not convinced that any of the helmets listed here offer superior protection in a ski crash vs the MTB Enduro lids OP is using!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'm not convinced that any of the helmets listed here offer superior protection in a ski crash vs the MTB Enduro lids OP is using!!!
    My MTB Enduro helmet is much more ventilated (such that I will sometimes use it for Spring/Summer trips) rides higher and covers less of my head, is designed to self destruct on impact rather than handle repeated moderate impacts, and doesn’t match my ensemble. Using your MTB lid with a skull cap liner works way better than no helmet, but there are practical benefits to sport specific helmets. I’m very concerned about the health implications of multiple concussions, and I found that buying a touring specific helmet made it easier for me to to wear it all the time, and that’s easily worth the $75 I paid.

Well I'm glad you have a background at either DOT, Snell, ANSI, or ECE to back that up.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I'm using one of these Salomon QST Charge's as my do-it-all helmet and it offers a nice combo of complete protection while still being fairly light: https://www.salomon.com/us/product/qst-charge.html

Maybe that's not light enough for your tastes though, but I've been happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Well I'm glad you have a background at either DOT, Snell, ANSI, or ECE to back that up.
    No I don't. Do you? If you do, why are you mentioning DOT? If so please share.

Please explain how the CPSC/ASTM/CE standards for a ski helmet vs a bike helmet are different? IIRC from when I looked at the testing standards, the impact tests are basically identical, but there is a difference in penetration testing. Plenty of helmets out there carry both bike and ski certs. Please help clarify here I'd like to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    My MTB Enduro helmet is much more ventilated (such that I will sometimes use it for Spring/Summer trips) rides higher and covers less of my head, is designed to self destruct on impact rather than handle repeated moderate impacts, and doesn’t match my ensemble. Using your MTB lid with a skull cap liner works way better than no helmet, but there are practical benefits to sport specific helmets. I’m very concerned about the health implications of multiple concussions, and I found that buying a touring specific helmet made it easier for me to to wear it all the time, and that’s easily worth the $75 I paid.
    It all depends on which helmet you get.

My Bell Super 2R (and the POC Trabec before it) is MIPS and have occiput and temporal coverage that are the equal of my Smith Vantage.

In general ski and bike helmets are not multi-impact.

Your Solly MTN is not really multi-impact the way you might think. It is tested for CLIMBING multi-impact: 5kg weight dropped from 2m, twice. It is made to take two rockkfall hits to the top. Now, many ski/bike helmets can likely do that but imagine that some bike helmets won't take that, but they'll all take at least one hit. But your MTN helmet is not made to be multiimpact in a crash as in you rag dolling into stand of trees. The foam is EPS like all other single impact lids.

So the question is do you want a ski mountaineering helmet to protect from rockfall? Or do you want a ski helmet?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    BD Vapor is real nice + real light + real breathable
    + very fragile

NPlease explain how the CPSC/ASTM/CE standards for a ski helmet vs a bike helmet are different? IIRC from when I looked at the testing standards, the impact tests are basically identical, but there is a difference in penetration testing. Plenty of helmets out there carry both bike and ski certs. Please help clarify here I'd like to learn!
    I don't know if it's included in the cert testing at all, but my understanding is that part of the issue lies in the vent design. Because bike helmet vents are generally much larger, they pack with snow in an impact and the snow in the vents binds to snow on the ground, rendering the MIPS ineffective. But I don't have any data to back that up.

If you take your boda bag, and use your super sharp edges, than fashion a capo of sorts, it is MIPS.

Marinated to protect yer BC noggin.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So the question is do you want a ski mountaineering helmet to protect from rockfall? Or do you want a ski helmet?
    That is the real question.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I would want full alien protection at that altitude. Just me though.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

What about a boating helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Smith Maze? Maybe a couple of ounces heavier than the Camp but looks more substantial, has MIPS and proclaims to be the "worlds lightest fully certified snow helmet.'
    I have a Maze, and while it is indeed very light, it's way too warm to wear all the time (i.e. while skinning). The only times I wear the Maze going up are when I'm doing relatively short laps and/or it's pretty damn cold and/or it's nuking out.

I have a BD Vapor for ski mountaineering days, and while it certainly is very light, ventilated, and protects against falling objects, it is very fragile. My first Vapor died in my backpack when I accidentally cinched down a compression strap too much and the side cracked; I suspect the Maze would not have this problem.

I use the camp for spring touring but it’s pretty much just for rockfall. Doesn’t seem like it would do much for an impact at speed. Curious about the Sweet Protection Alpinist. Looks pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I have a Maze, and while it is indeed very light, it's way too warm to wear all the time (i.e. while skinning).
    I can't imagine skinning in any helmet, I usually just wear a visor or trucker hat on the way up. Honestly, this is my reluctance to use a helmet in the backcountry, one more thing to carry and one more thing to futz with on the transition. Probably not a big deal for big laps and single runs, but our reality here (especially this year) is 500-800 foot laps. I guess I just need to get used to doing it.

^ that's really why I got the vapor, it's wearable skinning. I even ripped the button off of one of my old hats for the hat+helmet combo with it.

although tbh 95% of the time (ie when not skiing significant lines) I'm just in a hat or headband