Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks for the spirited responses. I did order a Salomon Mt. Lab and will get it today or on Wed. I was also interested in a Salewa Vert as it looked like it had some similar features but when I did some close research on the helmet it didn't have a adjustable fit like a boa or similar. that is important to me as I plan to use a variety of knit caps underneath and want a quick adjustment. Anyway, this is not going to be a resort helmet as I have no expectations of amount of actual impact protection. My resort helmet is a Bern Hard Hat and IMO, solid heavy plastic and good coverage and happy with that over my previous helmet a Maze. As far as a BC helmet, I want a helmet that is put on at the TH and taken off at the TH. I want some protection getting whipped by tree branches, a good place for goggles and maybe some protection falling on a rock or stump maybe a little better than a bike helmet. As far as yard sale into trees or over a cliff to a rocky landing, sure just a part of my judgement on not doing that and I have been at this for decades and have bled and wacked by obstacles but not full on wrecks. Resort same thing. So, no guarantees just like in life, I will take my chances. Thanks for the responses.........

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Curious about the Sweet Protection Alpinist.
    Definitely looks cool, but way heavier than the Mtn Lab per listed weights on BC.com. I was kind of interested in it too, but hadn't noticed that weight discrepancy. Heavier construction though, so might hold up better to general wear and tear in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I just got a Uvex p.8000, which seems pretty nice and similar to the Sally, Camp, and Mammut dual cert options. Not as much protection as a Maze or Sweet Alpiniste, but considerably lighter. I'll likely still carry my inbounds helmet for pow touring and use the Uvex for ski mountaineering.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I think it's a personal problem, but I have the hardest time finding a helmet that fits my head and feels good. Most helmets that I try on have some pressure point somewhere that bugs the shit out of me out of the box or easily slips off my head when tightened.

Anybody else have similar experience?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I think it's a personal problem, but I have the hardest time finding a helmet that fits my head and feels good. Most helmets that I try on have some pressure point somewhere that bugs the shit out of me out of the box or easily slips off my head when tightened.

Sometimes, but boa systems on quality helmets less likely. There's a forehead pad called a "Sweat Buster" that replaces the stock forehead pad that is a great addition to any sports helmet. It takes a little work to install, attaches with velcro and removes for washing and amazingly adds to comfort and fit of helmets especially bike helmets. I will look up and send a link. This piece is worthy.
    http://www.traxfactory.com

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Sometimes, but boa systems on quality helmets less likely. There's a forehead pad called a "Sweat Buster" that replaces the stock forehead pad that is a great addition to any sports helmet. It takes a little work to install, attaches with velcro and removes for washing and amazingly adds to comfort and fit of helmets especially bike helmets. I will look up and send a link. This piece is worthy.
    http://www.traxfactory.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HjCXd9Z2wM&t=38s

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 908
Size:  990.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

thanks, quadzilla. I'll check that out when i have more time. my MO has been that i'm not buying a helmet unless it feels good in the shop. thus, i've been rocking the same boeri helmet since the mid/late-90's. it's done a great job at deflecting branches, limbs, and keeping my head dry. i take it into the BC because one of my local areas (when we get a low elevation snowpack) is very heavily forested and i like the head protection for the trees limbs.

finding a bike helmet that fits my noodle is not as much of an issue for whatever reason.

lightranger's got it!

What about a boating helmet?
    I would lean more towards a cocktail helmet or even a picnic helmet. Boating helmets are too bulky.

Any one using the Scott Couloir 1 or 2? Seems like one of the only options rated for both skiing and climbing. I am not sold on their breath ability claims just yet, need experience

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:  28608_724827159211_81008921_42745835_5761302_n.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  67.3 KB
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Well, I have possession of the Mt. Lab helmet and a few observations just playing with it. IMO, it looks to have maybe a little better protection that a trail type Mt. Bike helmet without MIPS. The shell has better overall coverage as compared, inside similar to a non MIPS. A plus is that it comes with two liners so a lot of options on modifying and adding head scarfs and caps to dial in for the condition. Overall quality, good and good method of using goggles and wearing goggles on top when not in use. So, for my use as a non heavy impact helmet and ability to wear 100% in the BC is good. Plenty of vents too. I will use this a lot but not up to resort use.

to clarify, conceptually, here's what i mean:

to clarify, conceptually, here's what i mean:
    I think a boating helmet is great in terms of rockfall. They are multimpact rated. Generally river helmets are aimed at repeated impacts at lower speeds (you aren't generally cruising at 15mph in a river).

Venting is often subpar for land sports.

Sweet Protection (used to?) makes helmets that are rated for river and either biking or skiing.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

good input. branches and limbs deflection is the generally day to day importance for me.

OK, to finalize my opinion on the Mt. Lab Helmet, I did get two touring days using the helmet. I did put the helmet on at the TH and wore it the whole time, up, down and slogging along. The helmet comes with two liners, one thicker with ear guards and one minimal that is thin and without ears. The conditions were kinda cool to start and some breeze with warming. I only used the thicker liner. First the helmet is very easy to adjust on the fly and the wheel has a lot of range. The helmet is full with a lot of open volume above the liner and near the vents. This created circulation and cooling. The helmet did get warm on the ups and the warming temps so I loosened the wheel a bit and unbuckled the chin strap and it remained comfortable but once on the ridges and wind was able to quickly readjust on the fly and warm came quickly as needed. I do think the thinner liner would work good too and maybe have a head scarf stacked in there but just working with the adjustments with the thicker liner worked well for me even when it got warm. So, options.

Anyway, I really like the helmet, I guess if I have any cons it would be kinda pricey and the helmet is full so it looks big on your head as compared. It is a bit heavier than a Mt. Bike Helmet but a bit more protective. IMO of course.............

I use a bike helmet big enough to wear a toque under for the down. Half the danger (in the spring anyway) around here is rock fall on the way up (plus I hate stuff hanging on my pack), and so I wanted something light with a large visor to skin in. Really pleased in season 2 of this setup- I used to not use a helmet in the backcountry and this works great. I think it shields my face & neck from the sun better too than a ball cap since it sticks out all around more.

is there still open debate in the industry about helmet design preference for rock fall, deflection vs one-hit wonder style?

It’s a pity to use my bicycle helmet in this way since it is now being repaired. I ordered a fallback, this model KINGBIKE. In order not to order an additional version of a ski helmet, I think to insulate and use what comes to me, it's good that I'm not the only one, it gives confidence.

Camp makes a good helmet, light, fit skiing and rock climbing.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Liam1Black View Post
    It’s a pity to use my bicycle helmet in this way since it is now being repaired. I ordered a fallback, this model KINGBIKE. In order not to order an additional version of a ski helmet, I think to insulate and use what comes to me, it's good that I'm not the only one, it gives confidence.
    Considering how big name manufactures are having to deal with knockoffs that are not meeting crash certs. I'd be real careful about some random company with old Giro molds selling helmets for WAY less than the original Giro product
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I'm pretty interested in the Movement 3 Tech Alpi, seen here:
    https://skimo.co/movement-3tech-alpi-helmet

Triple certs for skiing, climbing and biking.
    Might be the ticket for touring with some ski mountaineering thrown in....

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

Sorry- certs for skiing, ski mountaineering competition, and biking. Not climbing rated.

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Sorry- certs for skiing, ski mountaineering competition, and biking. Not climbing rated.

The mere thought of wearing that thing as a climbing brain bucket makes me sweat...

The mere thought of climbing makes me sweat.

Gravity always wins...