Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Finally got it. Did about 10 mins at 250. For a few minutes I thought I ruined brand new liners.
    Kinda almost thinking you can't. Baked an older set of luxury high volumes a few months ago...pretty sure my 'wrecked' liner was baked in the upper 200 degree range. Smoke pouring out of oven, had to huck the whole works out into the snow. Liner was as soft as molton molasses. Thought it was a goner for sure. In the end, it lost a bit of volume of foam and it shrunk a large percentage...but...used a good thick toe cap/lots of padding and preserved length. The foam got denser due to loss of gas from the closed cells which increased the performance due to stiffer liner. In the end, i really can't tell the difference between either boot while skiing em. Good enough for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080095.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	221907

Name:	P1080096.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	221908
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Too big is just right for me and yes we should get together. I sent you a link to the ultra powerful Chinese knock off head lamp I bought btw.
    please post link. must add to my quiver of headlamps.
    Master of mediocrity.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ok, so I pulled the liners out to see what was up before I tried to mold again. Holy effing creases. No wonder my toes hurt. Stumped as to how to not have that crease where it overlaps. This is a 27 liner in a 26.5 shell. Almost 2 full fingers of extra space when I put my bare foot in the empty boot shell. This is the correct liner, so why does it seem like I have way too much extra liner material?

Name:	20180122_201405.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	221972

Name:	20180122_201428.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	221973

Woah, you done fucked those up.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ok, so I pulled the liners out to see what was up before I tried to mold again. Holy effing creases. No wonder my toes hurt. Stumped as to how to not have that crease where it overlaps. This is a 27 liner in a 26.5 shell. Almost 2 full fingers of extra space when I put my bare foot in the empty boot shell. This is the correct liner, so why does it seem like I have way too much extra liner material?

Is that the camera angle or is the stitching off?

Stitching definitely off of center on the left liner (right liner in picture). Figured that wasn't anything major, but who knows.

All my intuitions have been non-wraps, but that stitching difference would have me emailing the rep/customer service. It doesn't seem right to me.

Ok, so old left liner next to new left liner. Now I am wondering if that stitching being so off is making it an issue. I remolded again using boiling water/turkey bag. 8 minutes per boot. Didn't really feel that hot though. Still major creases at toe area.

Name:	20180122_220017.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	221988

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. The heat molding stiffens the foam, fills in gaps and creats a more snug fit where you need it with better heel hold.
    Totally agree with MPPG here.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

^^Those were made on Friday and passed QC on Monday would be my guess unless they sell seconds on proform or something.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 10.14.26 PM.png
Views: 445
Size:  465.4 KB

I normally use a digital heat gun with a rubber hose stuffed in the liner to heat from the toes back while in the shell, with a towel loosely around the top to help hold in the heat.

Last time did my GF's Pro Wraps in the oven though. Think the first liner was at 225 or 230 for around 15 minutes (it took awhile), then bumped up the heat to 235 or 240 for the second liner thinking it would go quicker. #1 came out very nice, very pliable and ready to mold. #2 puffed up like a balloon in less than 10 minutes, making it hard to get in the shell, and then it shrank smaller than #1 when it cooled.

Suspect there's a fine line between "very nice" and "sonofabitch!" around 230 or so degrees.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.

having just come across this thread now, if I've been skiing the intuition liners in my scarpa freedoms for two seasons, is it still worth heat molding them now?

Quote Originally Posted by ARpowhound View Post
    ^^which Intuition do you go with? Power Wrap or Pro Wrap? I’m wanting to put an Intuition in my boots. I’m downsized. Less than 1 finger. I’m leaning toward the Pro Wrap.
    Less than 1 finger? Seriously? You can't get a finger inbetween the shell and your heel? Even the race boot fitters didnt go that tight with us (for the modified version after blowing out / stretching). Your foot or finger must be very different from mine. Or you are a masochist...

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    having just come across this thread now, if I've been skiing the intuition liners in my scarpa freedoms for two seasons, is it still worth heat molding them now?
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 01-23-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Ok, so old left liner next to new left liner. Now I am wondering if that stitching being so off is making it an issue. I remolded again using boiling water/turkey bag. 8 minutes per boot. Didn't really feel that hot though. Still major creases at toe area.

Name:	20180122_220017.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	221988
    The boot shell is simply too big. Using a larger (than the shell size) wrap liner results in creases, as you’ve discovered. A better (but far from perfect) solution is to use a HV tongue liner of the correct size, which’ll take up more space without creasing.

A 27 liner in a 26.5 shell is the recco per intuition for powerwrap liners.

212` boiling water method isn't enough heat if you need more than a slight adjustment.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    212` boiling water method isn't enough heat if you need more than a slight adjustment.
    Yeah, realizing that now. When it didn't feel like I put my feet in lava I knew it wasn't gonna be enough. Gotta get me a separate oven thermometer tonight and do one more regular old oven molding at 230.

I've molded a dozen or so liners and never needed 230F. 220F max and and you'll know they're done when they puff up a bit--watch them carefully, because if they stay in too long at 220F they will be too floppy = creases. When you get a fit kit from Intuition you get a black stocking to place around the liner so when you insert your foot and liner into shell, it 1) slides in easy, 2) keeps the liner from folding over onto itself. You can also use a woman' nylon stocking---you may need to use a plus size.

Also, try not to pull on them when inserting your foot and do not pull on them while your foot is in there. If you have really stiff shells--heat the boot shell a bit as well to ~150F to soften it so you can slide in easier. And have someone help you open the shell.

Last time I molded a set (this fall) I left the towel in the oven that I place the liners on when heating them...a couple days after my wife preheats the oven to 350 to bake some stuff and the towel was black and smoking. I got yelled at. Remember to take the towel out.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Stitching definitely off of center on the left liner (right liner in picture). Figured that wasn't anything major, but who knows.
    Did the liner get so soft that the seam moved off center when you put your foot in the boot? Was at a bootfitting once where one of the Raichle liners had the seam move off center, felt like shit. Rebaked it to fix, still feels great.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    please post link. must add to my quiver of headlamps.
    https://www.gearzii.com/products/superheadlamp

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    This is more or less correct for regular ass stock liners. However, this is the absolutely false when it comes to expanding foam liners like intuitions.
    Nonsense. Can't even buckle my boots with uncooked power wraps. Toes feel like they will explode . Works great after cooking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

A 27 liner in a 26.5 shell is the recco per intuition for powerwrap liners.
    Intuition keeps hanging onto this idea that shells come in half sizes. There's absolutely no difference between a 26 and 26.5 shell (or 25.5 and 26 in Scarpa), so there's no reason to bump up to a size 27 if you happen to get a 26.5 instead of a 26 shell.

Going up a liner size can work fine -- you have to be careful to avoid creases -- but a better method (like suggested above) is to use a higher volume liner. Though if you need the HV liner, you likely should buy a different shell.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-23-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've never had a problem with a liner one size above the shell size--they will shrink if you heat them more than 2x.
    If you don't crank the buckles down to boa constrictor mode when you mold them the MV liner fits a wide range. If you buy your shells too big, then you might need the HV. If you need HV liner you bought the wrong boots IMHO.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If you need HV liner you bought the wrong boots IMHO.
    100% agree -- this can't be over-emphasized.

(unless you're a lady with a size 22-23 foot looking for a touring boot and have super limited options.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos