Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Does new employer have a front row plug?

Used NIssan Leafs, loaded, are less than $10k, no more gas, no more oil changes. Pretty terrible range, but I've seriously thought about it.

Lots of good suggestions above for car choices.

Things I'd want in a commuter car: must fit me well (seating position, reach), automatic transmission, decent MPG. If a long commute, then a used hybrid - slightly older (say 5 yr or more) hybrids seem very cheap, and Prius reliability has been high.

Research for transmission issues in whatever you're considering. Some manufacturers have had problematic dual clutch ATs. I'm not a CVT fan but they seem to be holding up OK in passenger cars.

Pick a car with cheap tire sizes - 16" wheels, for example, not 18 or 19.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Pretty happy with my Accent.
    I imagine it's kind of a down-home country drawl?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I imagine it's kind of a down-home country drawl?
    I lol'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Our Yaris at work just hit 890,000 km's

Just bought an impreza wagon... avg 36mpg....

I'm kicking myself for not just buying a nissan leaf (I have chargers at the office) for commuting and a beater pickup though.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

There's been some good deals on lightly rolled sonatas around here...

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Geo prism

The Toyota Tacoma.

Yeah, it's not really what you asked for, but is it reliable? Will it actually do the job? What kind of MPG (guessing 17-18)? How much better would the new shitbox get? How much per year would you save at gas prices now? Gas prices at $4/gallon? If you get rid of an older truck to buy a newer shitbox, will your insurance go up? Registration? Is that kind of savings worth it to get rid of the truck I assume you like?

And don't even get me started on getting the shitbox as a third car, because that sure as fuck won't save you money.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Does it have to be a new car?
    I'd say any small, lightly used Japanese car would be good. Think Carrolla/Civic/3/Sentra just off lease or ex rental. Or you could go even smaller, I guess.
    Buying from the actual rental company is often a good buy. They are below dealer Blue Book usually, and well cared for. And we're talking maybe 20k miles.
    You haven't really said what your budget is. Whether or not you're looking to make payments, need the latest technology, etc.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Schwinn varsity 10 speed. What's your budget ?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The Toyota Tacoma.

Yeah, it's not really what you asked for, but is it reliable? Will it actually do the job? What kind of MPG (guessing 17-18)? How much better would the new shitbox get? How much per year would you save at gas prices now? Gas prices at $4/gallon? If you get rid of an older truck to buy a newer shitbox, will your insurance go up? Registration? Is that kind of savings worth it to get rid of the truck I assume you like?

And don't even get me started on getting the shitbox as a third car, because that sure as fuck won't save you money.
    Danno beat me to it. Drive that Tacoma with some manly pride. Can’t keep your skis/bikes etc in a Yaris, without adding racks and boxes, then mpg goes down anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Danno beat me to it. Drive that Tacoma with some manly pride. Can’t keep your skis/bikes etc in a Yaris, without adding racks and boxes, then mpg goes down anyway.
    With the thousands you save per year in gas and tires, you can just get a penis implant and address the issue directly rather than indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    With the thousands you save per year in gas and tires, you can just get a penis implant and address the issue directly rather than indirectly.
    heh. But my point was it's not actually clear he would save thousands. Need lots more data to know that. And I am damn sure he wouldn't save thousands if he got the shitbox as a third car.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

heh. But my point was it's not actually clear he would save thousands. Need lots more data to know that. And I am damn sure he wouldn't save thousands if he got the shitbox as a third car.
    True. Extra cars are no bueno for the wallet, and I was assuming that the commute we are talking about is at least a couple hundred miles per week.

The Toyota Tacoma.

What?

So let me get this straight, buying more shit doesn't save you money??

You telling me Costco, COSTCO!, has been lying to me?

The more you spend the more you save.

Fuck, just fuck.

I was in the same spot in couple of years back. Did a lot of research and drove a lot of cars. Got the Mazda 3 5 door. Love it. So much so that when I got into an accident in the first one and totaled it, I drove straight down and bought another one. 40mpg. Drives like a sports car. Peppy. Great on the highway and a blast in the twistys. Fits my two buddies and all our fly gear. Can't say enough good things about it. I think it's a perfect choice for a commuter car that you'll be finding ways to drive on the weekends instead of the truck. My Tundra sits if I can do the trip/activity in the 3.

Here's my take on the third car thing. I need a truck for camping, the yaks, hauling shit etc... But a new truck is what, 50K? I was driving my Tundra, getting shitty mileage and wearing the thing out. So for about the difference in my gas bill, I make the Mazda payment and save the truck. I know it's still costing me a little more money with insurance and maintenance, but now I have a good road trip and commuter car AND still have a truck.

Obviously, everyone's circumstances are different, and whether something fits your lifestyle and budget is a personal decision. So if you did the math and decided that it worked for you, great. I was mostly speaking to the notion that if you have a big commute you will necessarily financially benefit from having a "good commuter car" versus the car you already own that gets poor mileage. Because the math often doesn't pan out. But sometimes the decisions are driven by more than math.

Good points.

100 mile commute per day roughly. Currently commute in a company Tacoma, seats suck. Would possibly end up moving closer but spouse work situation may not allow it. Could be 1.5-2k/yr difference in gas to drive a Prius. Would need to dig deeper on the insurance angle. Truck just sits now.

Listen to GiBo and me and go drive a Mazda 3.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Listen to GiBo and me and go drive a Mazda 3.
    They're great cars, and a little bigger than some of the options discussed, without sacrificing much mileage. The 2.0 is a great motor.

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    Good points.

100 mile commute per day roughly. Currently commute in a company Tacoma, seats suck. Would possibly end up moving closer but spouse work situation may not allow it. Could be 1.5-2k/yr difference in gas to drive a Prius. Would need to dig deeper on the insurance angle. Truck just sits now.
    Waitaminute - "company Tacoma" -

You get use of a Tacoma, free? All you have to do is pay for the gas? If so, just keep driving the freebie.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looked at one awhile back. 200k kind of car? High compression motor seemed like a potential maintenance time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Waitaminute - "company Tacoma" -

You get use of a Tacoma, free? All you have to do is pay for the gas? If so, just keep driving the freebie.
    In my current position, I get a company truck, with fuel paid as well. No cost to me. New position would mean driving my own rig, so would like to reduce cost since it's coming out of my pocket. Current commute varies from 1 hour to 2 hour one way depending on jobsite and traffic. New gig is in an office with fixed commute distance, less traffic, better career prospects etc..