Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Went through this two years ago, as I also have a 100mi/day commute. I ended up buying a 2016 Hyundai Accent after test driving EVERYTHING in that class that I could find with 3 pedals.

2 years and 50k mi later I'm very happy with it. I haven't done a goddamn thing to it other than change the oil and filters. My only complaints are that the rev drop from 2nd to 3rd is too large, and I wish it had Android Auto (new ones do). Fuel mileage isn't especially impressive.

I may be in the minority but I thought the Mazda 3 sucked. The interior/dash design is horrendous and I thought the clutch feel was awful. At the time I bought my car the Mazda was something like $4k more and it definitely was not $4k nicer.

Easily the nicest car I drove was a VW Golf. But fuck trusting VW reliability...

Being open to slushboxes would have opened more options. Never got to drive a Versa, Rio, or Fit because I couldn't find any with 3 pedals in CO.

Edit: I guess they don't make a Accent Hatchback anymore? that's lame

I feel like automatic is gonna be the way to go for commuting. (Traffic)
    Anyone who things 18mpg is acceptable for a moderate to long commute is a fucking knob.
    Yes, I am aware that a lot of America does this. They are fucking knobs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I may be in the minority but I thought the Mazda 3 sucked. The interior/dash design is horrendous and I thought the clutch feel was awful. At the time I bought my car the Mazda was something like $4k more and it definitely was not $4k nicer.
    While I can't speak for the interior/dash of the new ones, out of curiosity do you remember what trim level you test drove? Back when I had mine, there was the 3i and the 3s. I had the S, which meant the 2.3 versus the 2.0, I believe a better suspension, bigger wheels, more bells and whistles, etc. I believe the new ones have a 2.5 vs a 2.0. 6 speed vs 5 speed MT. (Is that correct?)

My experience with mine was from over a decade ago, so my opinion is admittedly outdated. I am curious about how the new ones fare, but I guess now I know to avoid whichever one you checked out. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    While I can't speak for the interior/dash of the new ones, out of curiosity do you remember what trim level you test drove? Back when I had mine, there was the 3i and the 3s. I had the S, which meant the 2.3 versus the 2.0, I believe a better suspension, bigger wheels, more bells and whistles, etc. I believe the new ones have a 2.5 vs a 2.0. 6 speed vs 5 speed MT. (Is that correct?)

My experience with mine was from over a decade ago, so my opinion is admittedly outdated. I am curious about how the new ones fare, but I guess now I know to avoid whichever one you checked out. Haha.
    I don't, sorry, but probably a base model. But my complaints on the dash would have been independent of trim - it was the way the cluster and gauges were designed.
    Really the biggest thing was there was nothing to justify the price difference for me. YMMV

There are two recent vintage Mazda 3 hatchback‘s in my extended family and they’re both great cars, There’s also a 2 to 3-year-old Corolla that’s been great as well.
    Shit box baseline has improved so much in the last few years, it’s actually hard to make a bad decision here.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Shit box baseline has improved so much in the last few years, it’s actually hard to make a bad decision here.
    So true! The only modern car I can think of that is a total heap of junk is the Mitsubishi Mirage. That thing's straight out of the early 90s and it would've been junk even back then! On the plus side, apparently you can pick one up brand new for like 9 grand. Retail's like 13K, and even then it seems like too much money for that.

Anyone who things 18mpg is acceptable for a moderate to long commute is a fucking knob.
    What does that mean? For one, it's really a matter of what the person can afford, unless you're talking about saving the planet, in which case there are many ways people can be fucking knobs, and if you're going to judge based solely on that, there are a host of other stupid questions you should be prepared to answer, like do you eat meat? How much? Where do you purchase your meat from? Do you compost? Etc.

Beyond that, as I and others indicated in the thread, the economics isn't purely a function of gas mileage. You're not necessarily improving the planet or your bank account by selling your gas hog and getting an economy shitbox. But if it makes you feel better to throw out slurs at other people's choices, go for it big guy.

And yes I have an car that gets less than 18mpg. But I take the bus for my commute.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What does that mean? For one, it's really a matter of what the person can afford, unless you're talking about saving the planet, in which case there are many ways people can be fucking knobs, and if you're going to judge based solely on that, there are a host of other stupid questions you should be prepared to answer, like do you eat meat? How much? Where do you purchase your meat from? Do you compost? Etc.

Beyond that, as I and others indicated in the thread, the economics isn't purely a function of gas mileage. You're not necessarily improving the planet or your bank account by selling your gas hog and getting an economy shitbox. But if it makes you feel better to throw out slurs at other people's choices, go for it big guy.

And yes I have an car that gets less than 18mpg. But I take the bus for my commute.
    Stuckie has said dumber shit than this. If you've got a long-ass commute, move closer to work; if you can't, then drive something efficient for the commute. You're making yourself miserable and pissing money away if you don't!

Personally, I'm waiting for more cars like the new Outlander PHEV to hit a price point that I like. I'm trying to keep our Outback alive for another few years so I can move to a fleet of plug in hybrid all wheel drive with some clearance, plus the full electric dry pavement car.

Taking the bus or train to work is obviously the way to go for the environment, but not everyone lives where that's a feasible option.

Its actualy about calculating cost per KM ... but math is really hard eh

Lance the local independant mechanic who works on everything AKA " Freelance " loves to talk and so if you get him talking about kids buying a car (went thru this recently with GF's daughter) he will go on talking until you leave but he figures too many people most notably kids in HS don't realize what it costs to buy and run a car, so he has even thot of giving a talk at the HS which sounds like an awesume idea . Lance mentioned there are new cars out there for just narth of 10K ( about 10.95 US$ ) which are a pretty good idea compared to buying used car
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I feel like automatic is gonna be the way to go for commuting. (Traffic)
    Yes, I am aware that a lot of America does this. They are fucking knobs.
    Phew...close one. I'm at 18.3 avg.

just glad to not be knob.

That's the last thing I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Stuckie has said dumber shit than this. If you've got a long-ass commute, move closer to work; if you can't, then drive something efficient for the commute. You're making yourself miserable and pissing money away if you don't!
    Life isn't always so simple ("move closer to work", yeah, that's a nice and often unrealistic sentiment). Sure, anyone with a long commute should want a fuel efficient vehicle, but it isn't always feasible or smart to get one. If you need a larger vehicle for other reasons, then you can't get rid of it and instead need to buy a separate commuting vehicle. So then you're looking at adding a vehicle to your driveway, not just replacing, and the math gets really tricky there. Once you factor in insurance, registration, and the cost of the new/used shitbox, it probably takes a hudge difference in mpg and a hudge commute to make that pay off in a reasonable time frame.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Life isn't always so simple ("move closer to work", yeah, that's a nice and often unrealistic sentiment). Sure, anyone with a long commute should want a fuel efficient vehicle, but it isn't always feasible or smart to get one. If you need a larger vehicle for other reasons, then you can't get rid of it and instead need to buy a separate commuting vehicle. So then you're looking at adding a vehicle to your driveway, not just replacing, and the math gets really tricky there. Once you factor in insurance, registration, and the cost of the new/used shitbox, it probably takes a hudge difference in mpg and a hudge commute to make that pay off in a reasonable time frame.
    Selling the gas hog is also the thing to do in that situation. Or let the household member with the short commute drive it (but why aren't they riding the bike or taking the bus?) Americans dump waaayyyy too much money and time into soul-sucking commutes for reasons that usually don't hold up to close scrutiny. Many people would benefit from taking a step back and making sure that they're using the right tool for the job. Insurance, maintenance costs, etc. are also probably meaningfully higher for your thirsty-mobile.

Homeboy who started this thread has a ten year old taco with 100k on the odometer. Someone will give him 15 grand for the privilege of taking it off his hands! He already has a Suby at home to go camping or drive in the snow, so he doesn't need to keep it around for those purposes. He can sell the taco, throw 5-10k at student loans or tax-preferred retirement accounts, and get something perfectly adequate for his commute that cuts his per-mile costs in half! It's a no-brainer for him, he knows it, and many others would benefit if they were equally rational with their choices!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

I have a 2.5L, slushbox (6-speed) Mazda 3 hatchback for commuting. I love it. Test drove every hatchback available that met my goals (30+mpg, automatic, under $27k, suitable as first car for kid in 4 years) and liked it the best. No complaints after 1 year of commuting 50 mi/day. Averaging 35mpg even though my afternoon commute includes 8 miles of 10-20mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Selling the gas hog is also the thing to do in that situation. Or let the household member with the short commute drive it (but why aren't they riding the bike or taking the bus?) Americans dump waaayyyy too much money and time into soul-sucking commutes for reasons that usually don't hold up to close scrutiny. Many people would benefit from taking a step back and making sure that they're using the right tool for the job. Insurance, maintenance costs, etc. are also probably meaningfully higher for your thirsty-mobile.
    I'm not sure how you can say "selling the gas hog is the thing to do in that situation" when I posited that someone might need to keep the larger vehicle for other reasons. If you are considering buying an "extra" vehicle, it needs to make a hudge difference to pay off. Say a 40 mile daily commute one way, and a 20mpg gas hog vs a 40mpg sipper. At $2.50 a gallon, the sipper will save $1,250/yr. Adding additional insurance and registration will eat some of that, maybe $500/yr? So you save $750/yr, and it will take you 4 years to make a $3000 shitbox break even.

I know you want this to be a simple thing, it goes with your "if you have a long commute, you should move" idea, and your assumption that there is a household member with a short commute who can drive your big vehicle, or that the household member with the assumed short commute should be biking or busing. But life for many people is not near as simple as you want it to be.

As for the OP, yes, it might make sense for him to do just that, it's why he posted the thread, but again, the decision making isn't always so simple, even though "big gas guzzler bad, econo shitbox gas sipper good" makes it seem that way.

So what we've all learned here is that the Padded 'Room can get in a shit-slinging argument even in a post about cheap commuter cars. Well done, maggots, well done.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

not only that they are like doing math eh?

shit sling ing is not only expected but rated for quality/creativity/humor
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A ten y/o taco w/ 100K on the clock also doesn’t cost much to keep, will easily go another 10/100, and a pickup is a very handy thing to have. Camping in a tent when you can sleep in the comfort of your covered pickup bed is more irrationaler. Also, everybody knows tax-preferred savings plans are a sham.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    Looking at trading a long commute in a company truck for a slightly less long commute in my own vehicle for better long term career prospects. Driving our second car, a Toyota Tacoma wouldn't be cost effective, so looking at trading it in or getting a third car.

Snow not a factor, have a Subaru.

Civic? Prius? Corolla? Hyundai? Whatever digitaldeath's mom lets him drive on the weekends?
    How far/long is the commute? Mostly highway or stop and go?

We bought a ‘14 Focus hatch new. Wife mostly drives it on her ~ 40 mi round trip commute. Get about 36mpg. Fun to drive. Obviously small interior. Good price point. The stock tires sucked just replaced them in fall and it does pretty well in snow.

I'm not sure how you can say "selling the gas hog is the thing to do in that situation" when I posited that someone might need to keep the larger vehicle for other reasons. If you are considering buying an "extra" vehicle, it needs to make a hudge difference to pay off. Say a 40 mile daily commute one way, and a 20mpg gas hog vs a 40mpg sipper. At $2.50 a gallon, the sipper will save $1,250/yr. Adding additional insurance and registration will eat some of that, maybe $500/yr? So you save $750/yr, and it will take you 4 years to make a $3000 shitbox break even.

I know you want this to be a simple thing, it goes with your "if you have a long commute, you should move" idea, and your assumption that there is a household member with a short commute who can drive your big vehicle, or that the household member with the assumed short commute should be biking or busing. But life for many people is not near as simple as you want it to be.

As for the OP, yes, it might make sense for him to do just that, it's why he posted the thread, but again, the decision making isn't always so simple, even though "big gas guzzler bad, econo shitbox gas sipper good" makes it seem that way.
    You are the only one in this thread discussing buying a third car. There is literally no proponent for it.

What econo shitbox commuter car?

Where does OP live? Should do the commute on a motorcycle. Could easily get 50-60 mpg and have a hell of a lot more fun on the way.

A lot cheaper than any shitbox too.

Those little shit boxes are death traps. When I'm going 85 in pouring rain in the dark (daily PNW evening commute) passing logging trucks and being passed by Hyundai Elantra's doing 90 I want something sturdy.

Anybody have any intel on the Kia Rio? A quick search on Autotrader and I'm seeing brand new specimens with manual transmissions around $10K for 2017 models! Are these any good? Seems like a good deal for a great warranty. Seems like a decent car to rag on for a few years then toss like a used tissue or hand down to your kids.

I rented a Kia Rio once and I can’t remember a thing about it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Those little shit boxes are death traps. When I'm going 85 in pouring rain in the dark (daily PNW evening commute) passing logging trucks and being passed by Hyundai Elantra's doing 90 I want something sturdy.
    FWIW, my commute is kind of like this (although crossing the 520 floating bridge, so fewer logging trucks) and I've been driving a manual transmission 2013 and now 2016 Impreza for ~5 years. Aside from an engine problem I had with the first one (long story) I feel like it is quite safe and stable for a small car. It handles well, stops fast, and AWD is great even just for the rainy conditions you describe. It's not quite as efficient and cheap as some of the FWD options but I like it much better than the other auto-transmission economobiles I've driven as rentals. The 2016 model is also significantly quieter inside than the 2013.

I will say that the Honda Fit is one of the most amazing examples of economy design I've seen, and we had one for a short time before it was destroyed. (Also a story. Don't park on busy streets frequented by van-driving addicts.) It's incredibly big inside for how small it is outside, and it's super easy to park in the city. However, I much prefer the Impreza for highway driving. It's more quiet, stable, and just more solid-feeling.