Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What econo shitbox commuter car?

Looking at trading a long commute in a company truck for a slightly less long commute in my own vehicle for better long term career prospects. Driving our second car, a Toyota Tacoma wouldn't be cost effective, so looking at trading it in or getting a third car.

Snow not a factor, have a Subaru.

Civic? Prius? Corolla? Hyundai? Whatever digitaldeath's mom lets him drive on the weekends?

Blurred status.

14/10
    with mike Wilson being a 15/10
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Blurred status.

14/10
    with mike Wilson being a 15/10
    I'm not one to agree with Andrew here often but he may be on to something here. This is new territory for a "What car for me?" thread. I like it.

I have a buddy who has a horrendous commute from the N. GA mountains to ATL every day. Got into a Honda Fit after doing it in a less than practical vehicle and swears by it. I have to say I was pretty impressed. Well built and a surprising amount of space in a not ugly package.

Or just get the EurospecAudiRS6AvantTurboDiesel6MTwithabox and be done with it.
    I still call it The Jake.

How much fast do you like?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Friend of mine bought a Kia Soul. Lot of car for the money. Nicely put together, very practical. 100,000 mile warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Friend of mine bought a Kia Soul. Lot of car for the money. Nicely put together, very practical.
    I should rephrase that. "How much 'Soul' do you like?"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Friend of mine bought a Kia Soul. Lot of car for the money. Nicely put together, very practical. 100,000 mile warranty.
    31 mpg hwy? Psshaw.

Needs to cruise at 75. Don't care how fast it gets up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

I have a buddy who has a horrendous commute from the N. GA mountains to ATL every day. Got into a Honda Fit after doing it in a less than practical vehicle and swears by it. I have to say I was pretty impressed. Well built and a surprising amount of space in a not ugly package. .
    I got some buds ( 5'8" ish ) who rented a FIT in Japan which they used to drive all over Hokkaido and sleep in as their camper

yaris is good

I would look hard at the prius and run some figures cuz all the cabs at YVR are Prius, I asked the guy driving me wtf and he expected to run that car for 700,000 kms
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I get either 39 or 40 mpg out of my 5 door partycar no matter how much I flog it. It winds up its inline 4 to 6k, but enjoys it.

Granted, I did an engine swap, but it cost $3. Not $37.

y'all gotta look at cost per Km/mpg AND math is hard eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Focus hatch?

1.6 Fiesta 5 door. Tons of room for what it is.

All party. I don't get the Focus.

Focus on what?

mazda 3 would be okay. mazda's making pretty cool cars these days.

Loved our little Kia soul with the 6spd manual and 1.6l direct injection engine. It was an outstanding commuter car when we needed one of those. I still miss parking it. That little hamster wagon would fit in motorcycle sized spots. We regularly got low 30s mpg in missed driving and frequently got low 40s out of it on longer trips.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Golf tdi
    Edit to add that I think the Golf is a great car that costs a bit more than the Yaris/Versa/Fit, but in the long run will be a better purchase. That said, of those shit boxes, I liked the Versa the best. I rent the cheapest car I can get on all my road trips.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I had a 2007 Yaris; nice little car. But if you hit a rabbit at speed, you’re dead. Hell, even junebugs would rock that little chassis.

You can get 70 mpg on this hog

New or used? New - I'd go for the Prius. Relatively low cost of entry, plus killer mpg and low maintenance, however at high mileage big dollar repairs are possible and tend to freak people out (traction battery, trans, cooling system). I bought a short money 05 with 240k Prius miles for my son and it's been great. But I'm ready to walk away if repairs get too pricey.

Used I'd go for a corolla. Super low cost of entry, Toyota reliability, damn good mileage and cheap maintenance that's very DIY friendly. Want more room? I'd look at Camrys and Accords.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

I'm shocked by the reasonableness of the various suggestions. If this were me, I'd cross shop the Fiesta, Fit, Soul, either the Prius C or older gen Prius, and the Mazda 3 hatch if you want more room. All are pretty practical rides and nice things can be said for them.

Top of the short list if you're thinking used with some real miles on it should be the Fit with a manual tranny, though there are no bad choices on the list.

After making fun of the Prius for years, I rented one. It was a really fun ride. I drove all over CT for work, and used 1/4 tank of gas. I'm sold on the car. The people that drive them are still mostly suspect.

Pretty happy with my Accent.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I'm not one to agree with Andrew here often but he may be on to something here. This is new territory for a "What car for me?" thread. I like it.

I have a buddy who has a horrendous commute from the N. GA mountains to ATL every day. Got into a Honda Fit after doing it in a less than practical vehicle and swears by it. I have to say I was pretty impressed. Well built and a surprising amount of space in a not ugly package.

Or just get the EurospecAudiRS6AvantTurboDiesel6MTwithabox and be done with it.
    Gotta be a good reason he is not moving closer. Where in N GA? Some of those routes could take 2+ hours each way.

If it were me, I’d definitely give up a couple MPG for a more comfortable seat, quieter interior and smoother ride. Most of the shit boxes will get mid-30s no problem in fuel economy and in the real world you probably wouldn’t notice much difference in your actual mileage.

Rented a Soul a few years ago. I’m a tall guy and it was still pretty comfortable for what it was. Plus, you can put a surprising amount of shit in it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums