Dry cleaning Gore-Tex?

So the wife and i got a fair amount of grease/oil on our Gore Tex gear from a chair lift yesterday (little spots, like rain) falling from the wheels of the chair towers. So the mountain said they would cover dry cleaning put i'm still skeptical that the process will remove the stains.

Anyone had any luck or history with dry cleaning any Gore Tex?

Never tried it but:

"Gore recommends home laundering. If professional dry cleaning is necessary, request that the cleaner use clear distilled hydrocarbon solvent for rinsing and then spray DWR on the garment’s outer fabric before drying. Follow garment manufacturer’s instructions."

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Never tried it but:

"Gore recommends home laundering. If professional dry cleaning is necessary, request that the cleaner use clear distilled hydrocarbon solvent for rinsing and then spray DWR on the garment’s outer fabric before drying. Follow garment manufacturer’s instructions."
    Anyone who has ever been to a dry cleaner knows that "request[ing] that the cleaner use clear distilled hydrocarbon solvent for rinsing and then spray DWR on the garment’s outer fabric before drying. " would be like speaking Martian.

I would recommend a place that specializes in cleaning and repairing outdoor gear, like this one in Truckee (which takes mail in gear I believe.). I'm sure you can find others.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/technical-e...eaners-truckee

Spot clean in the tub or sink with a tech wash or mild degreaser. When the grease is gone wash entire garment and apply dwr. Just make the ski resort provide all the cleaners/dwr in lieu of dry cleaning.

In the future maintaining dwr will help avoid staining. It should just wipe off. Believe me, I ride riblets daily. Warm wet conditions and they rain grease all over.

All solid ideas!

Yah i was thinking i was slightly behind in applying my DWR to my coat.... just hoping most of it comes out.

At one point I believe nikwax would clean one garment per year for free if you sent it into them. Might be worth checking out.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Dawn. It takes grease out of the way.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Scrub the spots with Shout and a toothbrush, then wash normally in your home machine using non-scented detergent and no fabric softeners, rinse twice, apply spray-on DWR and put it in the dryer on medium.

Goo gone (or other Citrus based degreaser ) + toothbrush FTW when it’s more than grease drops and more like gobs of axle grease.

2x extended wash cycles and DWR DuJour

Powdered Tide, no liquid detergent to add the the above.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Goo gone (or other Citrus based degreaser ) + toothbrush FTW when it’s more than grease drops and more like gobs of axle grease.

2x extended wash cycles and DWR DuJour
    Follow this advice, Slackey is the undisputed champion of grease removal - I shit you not.

seems like washing it myself is the way to go.... i wonder if the hill will reimburse the DWR and wash like was mentioned. I already know that they accept no responsibility for damaged clothing (don't blame them) so i'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    seems like washing it myself is the way to go.... i wonder if the hill will reimburse the DWR and wash like was mentioned. I already know that they accept no responsibility for damaged clothing (don't blame them) so i'd be surprised.
    Had this happen at Fernie and they did offer to pay.
    I used Oxyclean and it worked. Didn't do anything to the DWR mind you I used the liquid with a soft toothbrush and rinsed right away.
    Good luck

Is this a first world problem? I mean, I gotta know.

This is a first world problem, right?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I would use a good spot cleaner maybe with a tooth brush

wash in a detergent, wash again in pure water to get out all the detergent

treat with spray-on DWR while still wet, thro in the dryer

IME doing testing on the water based DWR's I think they all work about the same and cost about the same

the solvent based stuff you spray on a dry piece are not so common IME and may work better but i'm not sure
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would use a good spot cleaner maybe with a tooth brush

wash in a detergent, wash again in pure water to get out all the detergent

treat with spray-on DWR while still wet, thro in the dryer

IME doing testing on the water based DWR's I think they all work about the same and cost about the same

the solvent based stuff you spray on a dry piece are not so common IME and may work better but i'm not sure
    #askthehelp
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Is this a first world problem? I mean, I gotta know.

This is a first world problem, right?
    Yes it 100% is.... The gear is still totally functional but i want it to look sweet for my 18 instagram followers....

Yes it 100% is.... The gear is still totally functional but i want it to look sweet for my 18 instagram followers....
    Dude, you trending bruh?

I thought everyone had chairlift grease and oil on their jackets.

Try some Woolite or Ivory Snow.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Back when I had to wear a suit I would go into the store and say "gimme something that looks good with dirt on it" which was puzzling to the sales person but if there is one thing I learned from a life time of HW repair it was to buy clothes that look ok with grease on them ... don't buy white eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Follow this advice, Slackey is the undisputed champion of grease removal - I shit you not.
    think about it before U get on a lift with him
    ​I am not in your hurry

Wife sent greasy gore-tex jacket to the dry cleaners. It came back looking new. Sprayed on new nikwax afterward and everything seemed to work out ok.

Put duct tape over it, you'll look more local and core.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Dude, you trending bruh?
    i was.... until i started looking all ratchet.... No self respecting Dentist will follow me looking like a car mechanic on the hill!

i was.... until i started looking all ratchet.... No self respecting Dentist will follow me looking like a car mechanic on the hill!
    And here I thought dirtbag vanlife was trending.

Hard to keep up, I still wear FILA gear.