Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I have a handful of days on the 2020 Lynx, so here are some more thoughts:

- The weak toes of the first version have been vastly improved. I skied the 2019s in lock mode because the clasp was weak (and one toe had to be replaced because, even in lock mode, I was pop out while touring). That situation seems totally resolved.

- To the extent that Dynafit toes in non-lock mode will release in an avy, Lynx should be the same. And once you're out of the toes, you'll come totally out quickly.

- The tech toe tele set up holds down the heel incredibly well. Once you drop, it's smooth. But there's zero dead spot off the deck compared to 75mm bindings where your heel will lift an inch or two before the springs/resistance engage.

- I'm totally sold on the Lynx and appreciate that it shares the same holes as the Outlaw.

All the recent posts are super helpful on a subject (the 2019 and 2020) Lynx is fairly hard to find.

These point-form response above really addresses my situation

I may approach 22 for a swap for the 2020 binding once I am sure human error and general adjustment of my ski-style are not my issue

Possibly my skiing style has evolved to incorporate deadspot/loose binding so the switch is complicated...there is also a possibility that what I am experiencing is a combination of soft boot/stiff binding. Which was not a problem when I was on Voodoo/Vice which are sort of well matched.

to be clear:

100% Lynx tour great and are really light!

22Designs for life (I own the Jiggerex mounting template)
    Last edited by canadafornia; 01-06-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Update:

I made some adjustments to both my boot and the binding for positive results.

Overview: Since I made the jump to NTN and Lynx at the same time I created a complicated situation, a lot of factors to take in at the same time.
    On my first days on the LynxI had 2 issues, early release and they were difficult to turn/super stiff.

Boot:
    I cut away plastic around the Tech toes of my Scarpa boots as per the tech-update via 22Designs
    I also dialed in my buckles to be (uncomfortably) tight to try to mitigate slop

Bindings:
    I removed the grey spacers (1 each binding) that I had added. These spacers make a really big difference in the feel of the binding.
    I played with 1st position and middle position of pin. This makes a really small difference. I moved from 1st to 2nd (where I keep my Axl)

User:
    I made sure I carefully clipped in my pins, and lever. 2 clicks. Cleared any ice. etc.

Great day on the binding. I did not ski bumps, but skied hard on steeps. No release. WAY better feel on bindings. Boots are a bit soft but I will just have to adjust.
    My rig feels so light it is unfamiliar when carrying my skis.

I guess I need to eat a few of my words. By the end of the season I broke my v1s in several ways.

* The toes stopped closing on my boot unless I reached down and pulled the lever up, locking it out. Not a terrible deal but annoying AF.

* The pin that holds the toe arms kept slipping back and I had to keep an eye on it and tap it back in place to avoid the toe arms falling off. But the worse part of this was that one of them slid back when using the crampons, pinning the crampon in place and causing it to bend so it was a colossal pain in the ass to get the crampon off at the top of a 5000 foot descent as daylight was getting short. I fought with it for a good half hour before finally wrestling it off. The crampon was destroyed. The toe in the 2020 version does not allow this pin to slip out of the back. It only slides in from the front with no exit possible at the back.

* The low heel riser wire on one side started collapsing.

* The main plate didn't split like I have seen others do but the tabs that prevent it from sliding into the cam stop were worn down almost to nothing and it would have failed in another day or two by the time I got my new bindings.

22 Designs was great in supporting them from the US. I can't say anything nice about the Japan distributor, so I'l just leave it at that. I have the v2 now and was only able to get out one day on them before the end of the season. I found them to be much stiffer due to the thicker main and flex plates. I have to get used to that as l like more neutral bindings. My boots are a frankenboot made from a TX Pro with the cuff replaced by the cuff from a Rush (think 3 buckle Maestrale). I tore out the ski/walk mode mechanism and attacked the shell with a dremel to create more ROM in walk mode and made my own ski/walk mode with a simple steel bar attached at the top with a threaded insert that forms a pivot and a t-nut with a long M5 screw and a locking nut on the back of the t-nut to hold it tight that catches a notch in the lower end of the bar when it is swung into place to create the ski mode. Works great, is simple, and saves weight. The Rush cuff, despite having only one buckle, is stiffer than the TX Pro cuff. I'm still getting used to that and just added some padding to the tongue of the boot because I was getting crushing shin bang that was unworkable with the stiffer Lynx. I couldn't ski more than a couple of runs without excruciating pain that ended my day. Hoping the padding distributes the forces better and allows me to modify my technique to be more like most telemarkers prefer, leaning harder on the cuff of the boot rather than keeping the cuff loose and trying to reinvent leather technique like I have been doing forever by skiing softer boots.

Yesterday, working outdoors, I did some experimenting with the thinner flex plates in combination with the thicker main plates to see if I could perceive a difference. It was a very subjective test but I couldn't tell any difference so I went back to the thicker flex plates, which are a little shorter than the thin ones. This would likely explain the fact that I could not tell them apart in flexing.

I added two spacers to the springs where I had started out with none. This made the binding sound like an angry crow and it was probably just coincidence that a crow dive bombed me and tagged my head just after I finished. ;-) Going to a single spacer reduced the squeaking significantly but it still makes noise. I put all the remaining spacers in my repair kit so I can add more as the springs continue to set as we know they do.

I wish there were thinner main plates available and there are rumors that might happen. The v1 main plates are not compatible with v2 spring assemblies as the tabs are a couple mm forward of where they are on the v2 plates. I suppose I will have adapted this season by the time any thinner plates become available. I am trying to brainstorm a way to glue a thin metal band around the tabs to reinforce them and mitigate any splitting. Don't know if that will be necessary but I have seen pictures of the thicker plates splitting for some users.

I should close by saying that despite these problems, I love the way the Lynx ski and tour. I'm not even considering giving up on them because if I could break these in v1, there is no way I'm going to pay more for Meidjos with more plastic bits and remount these skis with 13 more inserts when I already have 16 in these because I moved them forward two cm from my initial mount at boot center. And 22 Designs has treated me with the utmost in customer support from halfway around the planet. They have certainly earned my loyalty.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Thanks for the update.

What do you do when/if you’re binding busts mid-season? Do you have duplicity in your quiver?

Always still curious about the low tech toe’ed tele bindings. I’m still chugging away on 75mm gear. Affording tele gear for the new century is tricky with growing children, especially when I’m still feeling dialed with my current set-ups. I broke the 3 heel pieces on my work skis, but they were really old O2’s.

I’ve liked the Rotefella Freedom

trying an Outlaw this season

still not sure I need Lynx
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks for the update.

What do you do when/if you’re binding busts mid-season? Do you have duplicity in your quiver?

Always still curious about the low tech toe’ed tele bindings. I’m still chugging away on 75mm gear. Affording tele gear for the new century is tricky with growing children, especially when I’m still feeling dialed with my current set-ups. I broke the 3 heel pieces on my work skis, but they were really old O2’s.
    Yeah, I always have backups. Right now I have a pair of SkiLogik Bomb Squads, 188 cm with TTS bindings built around a Dynafit Speed Radical toe (I can't believe these skis are ten years old--they were mounted with SwitchbackX2s and I skied them in T1s for a long time) and another pair of Atomics, Backland 102 FR 180 cm with TTS built around G3 ION toes. Interestingly, the TTS bindings have never broken. They tour great and are pretty good on the down. The weight is about the same as the Lynx. I also have two pairs of boots, both TX Pros. The main ride is size 27, which is a tight performance fit on me. I removed the cuff and replaced (after a lot of dremel work) with the cuff from a Scarpa Rush AT boot (think 3 buckle Maestrale). I'm still working out the kinks on these. My fallback boots are TX Pros in size 28, which is a cushy, comfort fit on me. I'm retired, so I can spend a lot of time tinkering with my gear and dumpster diving for parts. ;-)

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

My perpetuation of the old system is finding my favorite boots, lightly used and cheap (garmont ener-g’s). Last pair I bought for $50, unused 2 seasons ago. I have 5 active skis in my quiver rotation. 6 if I decide to break out my rocks skis (old explosives). 7 if I re-mount my “long boards.”

I am a hoarder. But I don't have the space anymore. I gave away or sold cheap 25 pairs of skis before we moved to Hokkaido. I now have four plus my wife's one in a storage locker in the basement. I have a Swix tuning bench that folds up and fits in the locker, along with all my tools, all my technical gear, bike gear, and all our Christmas ornaments. It is completely full but at least I can work on skis.

--MT--

I think I remember “competitive” pictures of quiver with you and WOW .

I also do all work on my skis, along with the skis of the 4 others in my house. I feel in love with the skivisions tool last season. If I compartmentalize my functional quiver, I have non-3D snow touring w95, 3D snow touring l138, “resort powder” bibby, “all mtn resort”/work mantras, back-up work skis/ski ballet/bumps short-skinny-atomic-something-or-other.

I’m accepting donations of ntn gear

I'd have given you my Freedoms I just sold if I knew you needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I'd have given you my Freedoms I just sold if I knew you needed them.
    Thanks! No worries. It’s not a “need,” per se

Every year I keep saying, maybe this is the year I'll jump to NTN, they have finally figured it out.

It's been over a decade.

I've got a 22D jig for sale in Gear Swap

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Every year I keep saying, maybe this is the year I'll jump to NTN, they have finally figured it out.

It's been over a decade.
    if you're spending a buncha money on new gear it's worth checking out - you'd like it

That ^^ has always been my thought, and the “waiting for ‘those’ new boots” mentality.

I get it - the TX Comp fits me amazing -

and boot anxiety is why I now have 2 pair of Scarpa Freedom - I still buy old stuff as I transition

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

It's been over a decade.
    I've been on Rottefella Freerides since 2009. Still my favorite resort binding for ease of entry, several successful releases, easy swap between skis, and I haven't broken one yet.

That being said, I locked my heel in the BC last year for the first time ever and have no regrets. Got tired of chasing a light releasable bc option. Really liked the Outlaw but too heavy. I haven't skied a tele tech toe binding, too many failure stories, fiddle factor / after fixes, and release issues steered me away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I think I remember “competitive” pictures of quiver with you and WOW .

I also do all work on my skis, along with the skis of the 4 others in my house. I feel in love with the skivisions tool last season. If I compartmentalize my functional quiver, I have non-3D snow touring w95, 3D snow touring l138, “resort powder” bibby, “all mtn resort”/work mantras, back-up work skis/ski ballet/bumps short-skinny-atomic-something-or-other.

I’m accepting donations of ntn gear
    I've got a pair of Freedoms plus a first generation pair of Scarpa TX comps (size 29.0) that I'd be happy to give you - PM me if interested.
    Last edited by PB; 10-12-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I've got a pair of Freedoms plus a first generation pair of Scarpa TX comps (size 29.0) that I'd be happy to give you - PM me if interested.
    Mmmm. Holy shit. Thanks. Incoming PM.

see there ya go

PB you’re a good man

Shit, if there are any more free ntn bindings out there, I could use a pair. Scored some free skis and need to mount them with something free-ish.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

In my excitement, I didn’t realize, but 29.0 is way too big for me. It is an incredible and gracious offer!

Mounting up some size S Lynx soon. Should I install one power spacer right away, or start with no spacers?
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Are these new or did you pick them up used in the offseason?

I ask because 22D is coming out with some modest upgrades, probably by the end of October:

- new design for the main plates to address splintering;
    - an option for softer plates for those who want them;
    - improved cam stop to avoid unwanted claw grabs; and
    - new springs that will be slightly longer with a slightly thicker radius.

I personally don't like the power spacers -- it makes the bindings feel even stiffer, and they're already pretty damn stiff. The main reason to use the spacer, in my view, is to ensure dependable claw grab. I didn't use them and had infrequent claw issues that were always manageable. The upgrades may solve that minor issue.

Of course, if you're using inserts, it's super easy to make any of the changes/upgrades, so no need to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Are these new or did you pick them up used in the offseason?

I ask because 22D is coming out with some modest upgrades, probably by the end of October:

- new design for the main plates to address splintering;
    - an option for softer plates for those who want them;
    - improved cam stop to avoid unwanted claw grabs; and
    - new springs that will be slightly longer with a slightly thicker radius.

I personally don't like the power spacers -- it makes the bindings feel even stiffer, and they're already pretty damn stiff. The main reason to use the spacer, in my view, is to ensure dependable claw grab. I didn't use them and had infrequent claw issues that were always manageable. The upgrades may solve that minor issue.

Of course, if you're using inserts, it's super easy to make any of the changes/upgrades, so no need to wait.
    Yeah I am using inserts, so I guess it's not a big deal. I got the bindings new from FHL a few weeks ago, then warrantied one of the main plates with 22D right away because it was very slightly too wide to fit into the toe base. I guess my main concern is the claws popping up when I'm touring.

I remember seeing photos of two different shapes of main plates, where the older had a 90-degree angle where the cam stop slid onto it (where the plate frequently splintered), and the new one had this angle rounded off. I have the new one.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike