Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

22 Designs Lynx (NTN w/ tech toe!)

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Bullshit. I patrol for a living. I see broken legs (tib/fib) all the time. Super common injury.
    Figure you’d see more or less broken legs if alpine bindings didn’t release?
    The entire purpose of safety release bindings is to protect the lower leg. Not saying people don’t still break their tib/fib, but most research shows a decline of 80% or more with the widespread adoption of release bindings in the 70’s.

Ok that’s probably true but I have not seen any reduction in my last ten years. Bindings are about as good as they’re gonna get.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Unrelated, what's up with his middle buckle in this video?
    He says blister prevention and heel retention. Weird but works.

Anyone have an update on this? Not even the folks at EYT have posted up preliminary reviews.

All 22D said was: "Direct orders expected to ship early December." And those come after shipments to fill orders made at retail stores.

22 Design Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    All 22D said was: "Direct orders expected to ship early December." And those come after shipments to fill orders made at retail stores.
    Any updates on bindings in use? Curious what the opinions are as keeping an eye out for future purchase

TA

Quote Originally Posted by TA61 View Post
    Any updates on bindings in use? Curious what the opinions are as keeping an eye out for future purchase

TA
    Shipping delayed so not too many folks that have tried them yet:

http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourt...ynx-v1-delayed

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Shipping delayed so not too many folks that have tried them yet:

http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourt...ynx-v1-delayed
    Thanks for the link. Sounds like 22D is trying to get things right.

Buying these as soon as they're readily available!

I skied the Lynx in a pre-production test with Backcountry Magazine last year. At the time we didn't know how to adjust the preload on the springs and while the binding skied great, I had trouble with it releasing on me when I didn't want it to. It was after the test that Dostie dismantled a pair and I shot some video of him demonstrating how to get to the springs in a way to turn them tighter. On that model, it was not possible to do without removing the flex plate. Based on that I bought a pair this spring and mounted them on Atomic Backland 107s with threaded inserts. I won't ski them until next season so all I can say for now is that they feel very tight with a boot in them so I don't anticipate any pre-release issues.

WRT to catastrophic release in the event of an avalanche, I think any tele tech binding that is not locked out has at least a chance of releasing. My recent three years experience with TTS tells me that they do release if not locked out. Lynx is supposed to be skiable without locking the toe so the best we can hope for is perhaps they will release. I endeavor not to get caught but I'm only human. I recognize it can happen. I've been caught three times in 40 years, never been buried. Terrain, terrain, terrain. I manage terrain on very small scales in terms of not only go or not go but precisely where do we go if we do go. Small features can trigger big slides or small slides into terrain traps. Look at every inch of a line and identify the places where triggering is more likely so we can stay out of them and out from under them. I also put key rings on the leash attachment on my boots so a release in a minor fall will not run away but a release in an avalanche will rip right through the key ring. Release is possible, not guaranteed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2235.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	285765

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Very positive review: https://www.gearx.com/blog/2019/03/2...inding-review/

Dostie's op: https://earnyourturns.com/35260/revi...-tele-binding/

505g per binding (small)? Impressive.

Might be time to look at the tech toe tele boot options again... I miss being a stinky knee-dropper.
    sproing!

I can smell you from here!

(I’m also excited about the potential of this binding)

I converted my rig to NTN this year and will buy a lynx at some point. Definitely stoked on this news thanks!

It’s the coin for me. I’m still a proud dirt bag, and I have several kids. I encourage others to buy and support 22designs

FWIW. One of my touring partners skied these back to back with the Meidjo last winter, and despite their absurd cost and limited availability, he’s very determined to get the Meidjo. I’m sure he’s explained the reasons why in explicit detail while we’re on the skin track, but I try not to clog up my mental processes retaining telemark gear trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    FWIW. One of my touring partners skied these back to back with the Meidjo last winter, and despite their absurd cost and limited availability, he’s very determined to get the Meidjo. I’m sure he’s explained the reasons why in explicit detail while we’re on the skin track, but I try not to clog up my mental processes retaining telemark gear trivia.
    heh, yes, at the very least, it's nice to see a tele subject matter post on the front page.

the meidjo is interesting. locking the heel down occasionally sounds good to me, but blowing out of it in a difficult spot due to bellows flex would be very bad.

in general, NTN skis far better than 75mm ever did and a lightweight option in this category is an enticing prospect. i got some boots for it, just need to acquire a set of bindings when able.

^^^bellows flex can’t happen in the Meidjo Alpinheel as you are also locked in the regular spring box which keeps the bellows stiff when the heel is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    ^^^bellows flex can’t happen in the Meidjo Alpinheel as you are also locked in the regular spring box which keeps the bellows stiff when the heel is locked.
    FKNA, yeah, i see.

i'm still gettin used to the dynamics of the NTN setup. of course i love the vastly improved stability and edge control and being able to lock it down if needed sounds amazing.

Now only if Scarpa would see that there are options for NTN skiers to use the heel insert beyond just Dynafit and reinstall them in the TX Pro.

Super interested in these and other tech toe bindings, with brakes.

But I need new boots and a new bike and new skis before I can even turn to new bindings. And I'm broke. Meaning nothing for me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Boots are still the hold-up for me. Noticed in one of the Dostie articles that Scarpa is saying they will do a new boot ...maybe someday. I think the designs are about 10 years old at this point! It's pretty sad.

SCARPA!!! If you're listening, I'll buy a new tele boot...if you make one.

Article: https://www.telemarkskier.com/the-hope-and-risk-of-ttn/

Kim Miller, CEO of Scarpa USA told me, “We’re on the verge of making new molds. We don’t want to invest in something that won’t be embraced.”
    sproing!

Danno, how many bikes do you already have? Surely you could sell a couple to finance new ski gear. ;-)

FWIW I have about ten days in on the 2018-19 version. No issues whatsoever for me. The 2020 has some improvements, none of which seem to be needed in my case. I would like the improved toe that snaps shut with greater force due to a steeper angle of the stronger springs when open. But mine close tight enough and unlike my TTS bindings on a couple of skis, I do not need to lock the toes to ski without pre-release. Neither have they release but I have not taken any big falls yet and I wouldn't have wanted them to release in any of the little skidmarks I have left on the snow, They provide a great tele flex, progressive and smooth, with no bottoming out on the springs. I can't get my knee to the ski but it's not that the springs are bottoming out. It's more that I am just not strong enough to push beyond a certain point and don't need to to ski in the higher style I have always employed. Again, release in an avalanche is theoretically possible though nothing is guaranteed. I have no complaints when I consider that the only binding equivalent in terms of performance is Meidjo, which has some release function but how much more reliable I really can't say. I have skied Meidjos several days and love the way they feel too. But they are more expensive--if coming down a bit--and have some vulnerable plastic bits that are critical to the function of the binding, and require 13 holes to the Lynx 8. The Lynx feel strong and sturdy. I'll be surprised if I can break them.

@meter-man, I am not waiting for boots. Did my own mod to create the tour-oriented boot that I want. Rush cuff on TX Pro shell and ghetto ski mode because the Rush switch didn't give me any more ROM than the Pro mechanism so I removed them. Can't attach image for some reason. Linky button flashing red.

OK,so here is a link to my thread chronicling the whole mod process on EYT with pics.
    Last edited by telepariah; 12-19-2019 at 01:53 PM.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

I have 4 bikes, an 11 year old mountain bike, a 30 year old road bike, a 25 year old cruiser, and a 50 year old cruiser. Even if I wanted to sell any, they're not financing much in the way of ski gear.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have 4 bikes, an 11 year old mountain bike, a 30 year old road bike, a 25 year old cruiser, and a 50 year old cruiser. Even if I wanted to sell any, they're not financing much in the way of ski gear.
    Boulder hipsters will pay enough for the half century cruiser to finance a full kit!

Supposedly crispi has a new tech toe ntn touring friendly boot in proto type stage. I haven’t put a crispi boot on my feet in years. The older versions crunched my toes.