Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Faction Dictator Series - one of the last bad ass stiff metal chargers?

Since Faction Thirteen I was intrigued by their take on a big mountain charger. The new Faction Dictator series, especially the 4.0 ticked a lot of my internal gear whore boxes. Stiff, high 20 radius, 2 sheets of metal, subtle tip rocker, minimal tail rocker, not much camber, 190-ish length. Additionally pretty low weight for such a burly ski. I couldn’t resist.

What should I say. This one is a serious bad ass motherfucker. If you liked skis like Rossignol B-Squad or Stöckli Asteroid this might be something for you, all in all in a lighter and more accessible package.

Did you notice any effects from it being so light? It would be 300-400g lighter than say a bodaciouse or a squad

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Did you notice any effects from it being so light? It would be 300-400g lighter than say a bodaciouse or a squad
    I didn’t weight the ski but I’d guess it’s around 2300 g in 192 cm. So yes, lighter then the OG Bodacious for sure. The Dics are astonishingly damp, though. I can’t say the weight is a limiting factor in terms of stability and speed limit.
    The OG Bode in 186 is the ski which I spend 80% of my time on. The Dictator is stiffer overall and less forgiving. You can’t get lazy and hang on the tails. Bode is more nimble in tight places, most likely because of the length, and better for scrubbing speed if suddenly needed. The Dics will be probably terrible in bumps, but who cares. I love the Bode but my legs are fucked up around 2pm when skiing them hard. That was the main reason (and with 186 cm somewhat short length) why I was looking for a lighter and a little longer alternative.

That is one sexy MF.
    btw Sam and Jonny kill it on this ski in the faction movie: (Zermatt action starting at 30m in)

^^^ Best big mountain action since Jeremie Heitz´s La Liste

Update on the Dictators: After several days in every type of conditions I give up the idea to tame the Dictators 4.0 in 192 cm. This is just too much stiffness and unforgiveness for my taste. The very stiff forebody and tail with minimal rocker make the ski very locked into a turn. With a radius of around 30 this means a big turn. It’s definitely fun in wide open and predictable terrain but kinda sucks in everything else. What I missed most was the ability to scrub speed instantly and make any kind of turn shape without putting a lot of effort into it. I’m just feeling more relaxed on skis like OG Bodacious or OG metal Katana which have a similar top end but are at the same time easier to maneuver if the things get on the more shitty side.

Have you tried detuning at all? Too bad they aren't working out for you.

I did detune. 192 would probably work for taller and heavier dudes. 186 could work out just fine but nowadays my wife pays attention even to the length signs on my skis so no way I‘ll get away with another pair.

Anyone tried the 2.0 in the 187? Thinking it might be a good skinny ski option.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Anyone tried the 2.0 in the 187? Thinking it might be a good skinny ski option.
    I have a pair of 184 (I think) 2.0s and 191 3.0s. 6'1", 200 lbs... Spending a lot of time on 2s this year. I don't pay much attention to ski performance these days, but they are fun in everything Colorado has offered this year, both inbounds and out the gates.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

i'm looking at these, as my current skis are real soft. Icelantic nomad 95 and Line Mordecai. wanting a hard charger that can handle some speed. a lot of reviews basically agree with this guy's result, though: too hard to ski to be any fun unless your ACTUALLY skiing spines in Alaska with a film crew. I've got my eye on a used pair but wondering if they'll end up being too much ski or too unforgiving. I'm a 5'10.5"/200 black diamond skiier, usually at A basin and Loveland.

Can anyone comment on the chapter 116 in the 198cm length, or the new faction ski listed as a 204cm ct 3.0? Are these junk? Longer the better for me, I don’t want a park ski.
    Falling feels like flying........for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    too hard to ski to be any fun unless your ACTUALLY skiing spines in Alaska with a film crew
    The Dictator 4.0 isn’t actually that bad. If you have good technique and enough power even the 192 cm length might be quite enjoyable. It‘s just not so well behaved of a charger as Cochise, Katana or Bodacious. Wouldn’t I have other options, I‘d get me the 186 and probably be happy with it.

If you're looking for something along the stiff metal charger lines you might try the Invictus 108 in 188. It's a few cms longer than a 190 Salomon Q-Lab and has a rounder flex and longer turn radius. They need to be pushed into shorter radius turns and they're surprisingly easy to smear. What is most surprising is what a good pow ski they are. Even mounted on the line with a ton of tail they are pretty quick to plane up in the snow. It doesn't really make sense given the shape and layup. They are very quiet heading back to the lift in heavy chop. They do feel somewhat locked into the turn in some snow but a strong kick on the tails with break them loose to scrub speed.

They're similar to a 192 LP 105 but with more energy and a more playful feel. My daily driver as long as it's not hard/boilerplate and there's soft snow to be had.

Would something like the Nordica Enforcer be worth taking a look at?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Would something like the Nordica Enforcer be worth taking a look at?
    Yes. I know several people who enjoy that ski.

Anyone else have some time on this ski?

Since I receive a lot of inquiries for buying the Dictators:
    Sorry, the ski is already sold.

I demoed the Dictator 4.0 and 3.0 at Arapahoe Basin today, both in the 186cm length. Spent three hours on the 4.0 all over the mountain and generally enjoyed it. I hiked the east wall with them and got some great steep turns in dry-loose avalanche debris.

Conditions were dust on crud and a mix of winter snow and sun affected snow depending on the aspect. The 186 4.0 was surprisingly easy to pivot at slow speeds in tight places but had some stability when I opened things. They did not feel confidence inspiring at speed in chunky sun affected snow though, only in the softer winter snow. A heavier ski like the Cochise or Katana would have blasted through the sun affected stuff much better.

All in all, I think they're designed for touring for steep winter snow like Sam Anthamatten and Johnny Collinson use them for. IMO they're too wide and too light to be a resort mixed conditions charger like my all time favorite 190cm metal Katanas.

The 186cm dictator 3.0 was way too light and pingy for me (6'5" 195lb). I took a couple warm up runs on the 3.0, then did a top to bottom run where I dropped a cornice, railed super G turns, then skied a bump line at the bottom of the mountain. My knees were aching at the bottom and I was thinking I must be tired from raging around on the 4.0s all morning. I swapped the Dictator 3.0s back for my 184cm Head Monster 98s and skied the same top to bottom run to see if my heavy skis hurt my knees, and I was all smiles at the bottom. Monsters smoothed out the chunky runout after the cornice better, had more energy out of a carve, and had better suspension when zipper lining the bumps. The Dictator 3.0s were jumping and pinging all over the place. Not for me.

Why the 186 @ your size?

try the 196 AB Bodacious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Why the 186 @ your size?
    They didn't have any 192s at the demo tent. Maybe sizing up on the 3.0 would help. I could definitely ski the 186 4.0 in technical steeps and tight trees and be happy, that's what I did on it most of the 3 hours I skied it. I did feel like the 186 4.0 had a speed limit if conditions were hard or variable, which I never felt on my old 193 Cochise.

Bumping this thread for this video

That is apparently as fast as you need to go to tame these beasts.....

I guess so. I can't imagine they're both on the 192s though, I didn't think Sam was that tall and the way he did those hop turns in the last segment looked waaay too easy for skis that long.