Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: 2018 PGA Tour

Eh. He’s a grumpy old bastard. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Long and the short of it is that Euros tend to play more in the US than US players teeing it up in Euroland; Euros accordingly more comfortable with either type of setup.
    This does not explain the U.S. domination of Ryder Cup matches in the decades before the mid-1980s. There is a simpler explanations: Those players, e.g., Jack, Lee, Hale, Raymond, Arnie, etc., were more able to adapt to different courses than today's bomb & gouge American players.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    This does not explain the U.S. domination of Ryder Cup matches in the decades before the mid-1980s. There is a simpler explanations: Those players, e.g., Jack, Lee, Hale, Raymond, Arnie, etc., were more able to adapt to different courses than today's bomb & gouge American players.
    And it was only the UK playing and not Europe. Jack was 4-4 in singles.

Peter Jacobson is the only choice for commentator unless he was not available by contract.

In the time before the 1990's the Euro pool was much smaller/weaker. Brits only. Swedes, Italians, etc. need not apply.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

The President's Cup is irrelevant. Both teams set up the courses similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    And it was only the UK playing and not Europe.
    1977 and before

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Jack was 4-4 in singles.
    Sorta proves my point. Although Jack was an accurate driver, he was a precursor to the bomb and gouge era of American pro golf. He was one of the greatest firm green putters of all time, but otherwise did not have a great short game. He won tough tight U.S. Opens with high soft long and mid-iron shots and superior putting. (Back then, a typical U.S. Open par-4 was driver/5-iron.) Jack played all the majors, but played only a dozen or so non-major tourneys each year, carefully picking them to suit his game. FWIW, he was a good ham & egg Ryder Cup team player with an overall record of 66%.

Keep the U.S. team excuses coming if you wish, but I doubt you'll persuade me to accept any conclusion other than this: the U.S. has a losing record over the past three decades because U.S. PGA courses have evolved to reward boom & gouge, thus produces a RC team of less well-rounded and less adaptive players than the Europeans. There are few exceptions, e.g., Justin, Jordan, Zach and Dufner, who are precision players and have good Ryder Cup records. And there's Koepka, who has proven his ability to adapt to tough courses, and has a winning RC record.

And I'll say it again: Phil is one of the least accurate drivers in pro golf history and has a shitty RC record notwithstanding his short game magic. He should not be a captain's pick for any tight tough course.

To be fair, the US Open is tight and tough and Phil has 6 runner-ups.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Danielle Kang switch to Butch Harmon. Two tournaments with a win and a third place.

If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

hey i have one of his balls!

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    hey i have one of his balls!
    Probably has a dent in it...Dude POUNDS it

Pretty sure he's the longest hitter on tour now
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

pretty good start

Cameron Champ was an amateur this time last year. Now he’s a PGA TOUR winner.

Champ, 23, claimed the Sanderson Farms Championship in just his second start as a TOUR member. He birdied five of his final six holes for a four-shot victory over Corey Conners. Champ shot a final-round 68 to finish at 21-under 267, the lowest score in the five editions of the Sanderson Farms at the Country Club of Jackson.

And to think he almost didn’t turn pro last fall. He planned to finish his senior season at Texas A&M if he didn’t advance through the second stage of last year’s Web.com Tour Q-School. A third-round 75 left him outside the cut line with one round remaining. He closed in 68, including a birdie at the last, to advance to the final stage with three shots to spare.
    “It’s pretty unreal,” he said. “I can think back to second stage when I kind of almost choked with three holes to go. I made a great putt on 17 to move on to finals.”
    Advancing to Q-School’s final stage guaranteed him Web.com Tour status for 2018. He finished sixth on the money list, including a win at the Utah Championship, to earn his TOUR card.
    Now he has a guaranteed home on the PGA TOUR.
    The Sanderson victory comes with an exemption that will last nearly three years, through the end of the 2020-21 season. He also earns spots in THE PLAYERS Championship, the Sentry Tournament of Champions, PGA Championship and the TOUR’s invitational events. Champ’s booming tee shots should play well on the wide, sloping fairways of Kapalua’s Plantation Course.
    Champ can set his schedule instead of thinking about the reshuffle and keeping his card. He has the early, early lead in the Rookie of the Year race and moves to sixth in the FedExCup standings.
    He dominated the Country Club of Jackson’s back nine, which features two par-5s (Nos. 11 and 13) and the drivable, par-4 15th hole. He was 16 under on the course’s inward half and didn’t make a bogey.
    Champ’s trademark driving distance was key to his victory. He finished first in driving distance, averaging 308 yards on all holes and 334 yards on the measured holes. He was second in Strokes Gained: Off-the-Tee, as well. Champ also finished second in Strokes Gained: Putting (+2.27 per round) and ninth in greens hit (55 of 72), despite hitting just 11 in the final round.

People actually paying $19.95 to watch that?

I didn’t think twice about it. Too rich for your blood eh

Uh no. I'm in the who gives a fuck camp. #13 vs. #27 WGR [yawn]. I'm out the door for a chilly hike, then home to watch college football rivalry games -- ya know, real sports

2018 PGA Tour

Oh so you’re just chiming in to say you don’t approve of it

crankysteve has spoken!

I got tiger in a tiebreaker

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Oh so you’re just chiming in to say you don’t approve of it
    No. I'm chiming in to say I don't give a fuck enough to spend $19.95 to watch two guys past their prime to participate in a bizarrely overhyped contrived silly season spectacle

Thanks. Now move along

Ouch. That was an expensive missed putt

2018 PGA Tour

$1,000,000 side bet. Unlikely but damn