Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Skills learned in snowboarding carryover to skiing and vice versa

This might be a bit Jong, although everything I do is a bit Jong, but I wanted to hear others opinions.

Those that have previously skied or boarded and were proficient in the sport, and then tried the other sport (if you skied then tried boarding), did the skills you learned from the other sport carry over to your original sport?

Ex: you are a skier, then tried to snow board until you were okay at it, and then went back to being a skier.

Yes, most definitely. Comfort and confidence at speed, and knowing how carved turns work are two skiing things that sped up the boarding learning process.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Yes, most definitely. Comfort and confidence at speed, and knowing how carved turns work are two skiing things that sped up the boarding learning process.
    I think he wants to know if your experience of learning snowboarding brought anything to your skiing.

Learning snowboarding is making me think about the sidecuts of my skis. I'm getting to where I like a really, really short radius sidecut....and riding a snowboard with an 8m sidecut is exacerbating that. It's also kind of making me question ever being in a ski boot that hurts again. Not that I wouldn't ski anymore, but jamming my foot into a small stiff race boot is probably never going to happen again.

also: being a beginner has helped me have more empathy for beginners and to see my little local ski hill with different eyes. I literally have hardly ever been passed by someone going a lot faster than me while I was skiing in decades....having that happen as a beginner again was scary, and it makes me want to be extra careful not to scare beginners....not just to not hit them but to not worry them either.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 01-16-2018 at 06:00 PM.

I snowboarded for years before skiing and the one thing that translated the most was how to carve clean turns. If you can master a railed carve on a snowboard, a lot of those same principles translate to being able to carve hard turns on skis which translates beyond just groomers.

I spent a few years living with a couple of hard boot snowboard racers in the late 90's when carving was more popular (Ross Rebagliati era). They taught me how to rail a 175 GS race board. It was super fun, I still try to re-create that feeling on skis but you can never get the same g's as squatting down with both legs into one edge on a carving board.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Definitely.

A snowboarder here who is in my second full season learning to ski. A lesson was very key to get me to stop trying to "snowboard on my skis". But the comfort at speed and knowing how snow and edges react are very helpful.

There is also a certain feel to snow, ice, chop, pow, etc that the brain processes based on memory that transfers very well.

The way you transfer the forces from your body to the board(s) is quite different, but after that the physics are mostly the same.

And so much yes on empathy for beginners....man that was tough at first eating shit and wedge turning on green runs but it was also so much fun.

Holy shit I was watching world cup women's downhill the other day, and some Czeck girl was skiing pretty damn well on a hard course, and they said she was also competing in world cup snowboard racing at the same time. Back and forth. That's pretty fucking amazing, to compete on that level in both. They said she's better on a board, but, man, she could rip on a downhill course on two.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

I snowboarded before I started skiing, and I'd say that the skills definitely carry over. The whole concept of using your edges to make different turn shapes is pretty much the same, even though you are rotated 90 degrees. Now that I am a skier, I would never go back to snowboarding, lifts suck and I was never very good at it. It's fun to learn how to do both if you can

Im gonna say yes... after many years of skiing i tried snowboarding and its really easy for the most part
    i figured id be struggling on the bunny hill but by the end of my first day on a board i could slide boxes, do 360s on small jumps and ride anything that was groomed or smooth for the most part

Snow board coach down the block was a ski racer

doesn't actualy snow board but he did coach an olympian

at the local hill there is a cliff/icefall that keeps snoboarders from lapping a big chunk of side country

did i mention how much i love snow boards?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think the skill of sparking up a joint outdoors carries to both modes of snowriding

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Snow board coach down the block was a ski racer

doesn't actualy snow board but he did coach an olympian

at the local hill there is a cliff/icefall that keeps snoboarders from lapping a big chunk of side country

did i mention how much i love snow boards?
    my kid rented a board and took a lesson this weekend.

My favorite part was when he said "screw this" and returned his board, strapped on his skis and went for a rip.

He tried the "never ever program"

yeah my oldest did the same thing at that age, he didnt even make it to lunch cuz he wasn't instantly as good on a board as he was on the skis

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I think the skill of sparking up a joint outdoors carries to both modes of snowriding
    lol

Lifelong skier, and a dog town era skateboarder who rode transition (pools and pipes). I started snowboarding in 91 and pursued it pretty had core for about 6 seasons. When I came back to spending a majority of my time on skis, I found that snowboarding had a positive influence on line selection and how I would approach terrain.

Learning how to snowboard taught me how to fall properly (seriously). I ate shit so many times that I learned the best ways to fall without wrecking myself.

I also got a unique perspective on how boarders see the mountain. Now if I am skiing around boarders I am more apt to recognize their blind spot and avoid it.

Also balance

Skiers with their fat skis dissing snowboarding. You all just suck at snowboarding so you fake it on fat skis.

Pussies.

And your kids are just quitters. Did you buy them hot chocolate too? If they are as good at boarding as skiing after one day then they should just quit both.

One thing to watch out for is the snowboarder instinct to do an emergency heel side stop/ butt check. Leaning back uphill in skis is a Good way to wreck a knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Holy shit I was watching world cup women's downhill the other day, and some Czeck girl was skiing pretty damn well on a hard course, and they said she was also competing in world cup snowboard racing at the same time. Back and forth. That's pretty fucking amazing, to compete on that level in both. They said she's better on a board, but, man, she could rip on a downhill course on two.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Longtime Steamboat Springs (SSWSC) Alpine snowboard racer Ester Ledecká https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ester_Ledecká

Carving - if you can carve on a board, you can carve on skis. More skiers could use this skill (not talking about most mags obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by Ale_capone View Post
    One thing to watch out for is the snowboarder instinct to do an emergency heel side stop/ butt check. Leaning back uphill in skis is a Good way to wreck a knee.
    You're absolutely going to do this, but only once

While a lot of the skills carry over--the clothes don't. If you want to ski you must get proper ski clothing. A Bogner parka with a furry hood should do nicely. Or a one piece powder suit. If you do go with parka and ski pants, for god's sake pull up the pants.

Pressure distribution is a lot different, but otherwise there is decent carryover. Wouldn't say there is real benefit to doing both, though. In the 90s with alpine riding some racers did find it benefited skiing because the alpine riding encouraged a more modern ski technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    And your kids are just quitters .
    At the time used skis and boots for a kid were cheaper easier to source than snow board gear

so I remember thinking ... YES!

perhaps coach was being obtuse but I asked him why I have never seen him on a snow board to which he replied "Its a stupid sport Man ! "

Yeah of course the sports carry over skills. You get decent at either one and you'll figure out fall line, that speed is your friend, edging. In fact I think I learned some about carving a ski by hard boot boarding - it was easy to carve the board. Hard boot boarding and skiing had more similarities (than soft boots) due to forward angles and you're actually facing downhill much of the time on hard plates.

I still like to bring out the board every once in a while. It's fun and I get to run over people.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

When I started snowboarding about 8 years ago, I realized immediately how terrible I was at committing to the fall line for the whole run on skis. It made my home mountains into completely different places and subsequently brought that over to skiing, it's amazing where you end up when you aren't always traversing to look for greener pastures.

Yeah, thats the biggest thing for me - with snowboarding, you learn to flow down the mountain and eventually you do top to bottom runs without stopping, generally more or less directly down the fall line. Sure, I'll traverse at the top, but once I drop in I'm usually flowing with the mountain and never losing too much speed. None of that stopping partway down, traversing hard for 5 minutes to find the perfect shot - I'll just drop in right above it next time.