Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    this is all good to know. I grew up skiing on the east coast, was a double black skiier 20+ years ago, just now getting back into it. I was hardcore into skateboarding for about 13 years in between. My gf is a snowboarder, so I'm thinking of switching so we can ride together easier, plus I just want to try it. Hoping the ski experience combined with the skate background = faster learning curve for snowboarding

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    this is all good to know. I grew up skiing on the east coast, was a double black skiier 20+ years ago, just now getting back into it. I was hardcore into skateboarding for about 13 years in between. My gf is a snowboarder, so I'm thinking of switching so we can ride together easier, plus I just want to try it. Hoping the ski experience combined with the skate background = faster learning curve for snowboarding
    You'll be gold dude. Just get really good gear. Also since you're probably not a youngster riding park, switch, or airing off everything, I'd keep your angles forward (you don't need to be duck foot).

I feel like longboarding and surfing had more direct transfer to snowboarding than skiing did. Skiing helped with the leaning downhill part but surfing helped a lot with what to do with my backfoot when I learned to snowboard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    I feel like longboarding and surfing had more direct transfer to snowboarding than skiing did. Skiing helped with the leaning downhill part but surfing helped a lot with what to do with my backfoot when I learned to snowboard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah. In my experience, surfers pick up boarding the fastest. Skiing experience helps most by the novice already experienced in the whole world of lift serviced, cold and snowy ski hills. Also, the first thing I tell people who are moving over from skiing is what a teacher told me, that a board is just a big wide ski, with side cut and camber, so try to make it work like a big fat ski. A non skier just looks at you blankly.

Boarding is pretty easy anyway. It's the first five days that are brutal, but, once you get by that and into the ah ha stage, you're pretty much good to go. Except those long traverses. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    If it were easy it’d be called snowboarding.
    I understand it's even more difficult getting off the chairlift on a snow board?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I understand it's even more difficult getting off the chairlift on a snow board?
    You see what I mean, you miserable bitch. Do you wear a fucking training bra?

No poles means easier to eat a sandwich while boarding. But then there's this...

"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that more than 140,000 people were treated in hospitals, doctors' offices, and emergency rooms in 2015 for skiing and snowboarding-related injuries (88,210 and 61,668 injuries, respectively). According to the review article:
    • Snowboarders were three times more likely than skiers to sustain injury.
    • In 1989, snowboarding injuries accounted for four percent of all snow sport-related injuries. By 1999, it made up to 56 percent of all snow sport-related injuries."

...which suggests that it may be more dangerous to eat a sandwich while boarding.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    ...with snowboarding...you do top to bottom runs without stopping....None of that stopping partway down...
    Yeah, that is what we notice about snowboarders.
    That they do not stop partway down, and sit around in a group in the middle of the trail... (rolls eyes sarcastically).
    Dude, we are just happy that they *eventually* learn to lay their board down on its bindings when they take it off.
    ..."Look out below"...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

As a skier learning snowboarding now I’m comfortable with speed but too much for my boarding ability. I feel like my comfort with speed - which i got from skiing - has made me experience some really hard falls due to boarding specific reasons that I wasn’t used to.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    That they do not stop partway down, and sit around in a group in the middle of the trail... (rolls eyes sarcastically).
    Dude, we are just happy that they *eventually* learn to lay their board down on its bindings when they take it off.
    ..."Look out below"...
    Reminds me of the old joke.

How many snowboarders does it take to jump off the catwalk? 6. One to jump, and five to sit around saying, yeah, brah.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    You'll be gold dude. Just get really good gear. Also since you're probably not a youngster riding park, switch, or airing off everything, I'd keep your angles forward (you don't need to be duck foot).
    sweet thanks, good to know. yeah, I have zero interest in park riding. I was ok at switch on a skateboard but never great.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Skiers with their fat skis dissing snowboarding. You all just suck at snowboarding so you fake it on fat skis.

Pussies.
    Har har. You're just jealous because you can't get to most of the mountain skiers can. Oh, my, brah, you dropped off the traverse? Bye, pussy.

Make sure to wear butt pad.
    If you didn’t know you had tailbone, you’ll find it on the first day on snowboard.

I snowboard with my skier boyfriend.
    I actually enjoy riding with good skiers than average snowboarders.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Make sure to wear butt pad.
    If you didn’t know you had tailbone, you’ll find it on the first day on snowboard.

I snowboard with my skier boyfriend.
    I actually enjoy riding with good skiers than average snowboarders.

yeah. that's my conundrum. I want to try snowboarding, but I'm a good skier on the way to being a very good skier, and i'll be starting over on a snowboard. hate to lose all the time relearning.

yeah. that's my conundrum. I want to try snowboarding, but I'm a good skier on the way to being a very good skier, and i'll be starting over on a snowboard. hate to lose all the time relearning.
    That's kind of my point too. I see most of my boarding friends who are still learning, end up wasting a good day of skiing. But when I watch my buddies who are super good at boarding it looks super fun and pretty sick. If I worked on a mountain and could ski/ride everyday then I would probably consider it a bit more

Make money. Buy toys.

Most skiers either try it out of boredom, or because they have knee issues. There's a lot of former skiers riding with fucked up knees. Doesn't stress the joint as much as skiing.

Just remember, you're going to be much more restricted to where you can go on big mountains on a board. For instance, 80% of the East Wall at Abasin is off limits due to the fact that you just can't traverse it like a skier.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Most skiers either try it out of boredom, or because they have knee issues. There's a lot of former skiers riding with fucked up knees. Doesn't stress the joint as much as skiing.
    even with all the skooch leg?

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    ..."Look out below"...
    Yeah, if you ride at shitty places with crappy snowboarders, sure. Not a whole lot of that at the bird. I've never seen a boarder blocking the cirque traverse, but plenty of skiers. Including the lady who decided to take her DPSes off last weekend and walk down the latter half of the traverse.

I'm also the only boarder in my crew, I haven't ridden with boarders in maybe a decade save for a handful of days with friends from out of state.

Well, yeah, that's an issue, maybe. But it's not as stressful as a bump run

I learned to ski as a kid, and skied from about 13-17, then switched over to snowboarding. I did that for a year and then went off to college. I also surfed at the time, and it only took me a few runs to figure out the snowboard. The biggest difference is primary weighting the front foot (which you do in surfing while coming off the top, but I started with my weight on the back foot, like you make a bottom turn, a that does not work on a snowboard too well)

A decade later I picked up snowboarding again, and a few years into that switched back to skis.

I think learning how to use the sidecut in the board translated to new ski shapes.

I was able to wiggle my way down some intense terrain on the snowboard, and that helped me know I should be able to do the same thing on skis.

At this point, I’m way better at skiing.

Within a dozen days on a board I was doing double and single blacks top to bottom. Granted it was at sun peaks and it was pow or crud. But, if you're athletic and you push yourself you can get good fast on s board. Having some previous skateboarding or surfing skills doesn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I know this was a joke, but I swear to God the only truly hard thing about learning to snowboard was getting off the fucking lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog325 View Post
    That's kind of my point too. I see most of my boarding friends who are still learning, end up wasting a good day of skiing. But when I watch my buddies who are super good at boarding it looks super fun and pretty sick. If I worked on a mountain and could ski/ride everyday then I would probably consider it a bit more

Make money. Buy toys.
    Use crap snow days/low tide seasons to learn to ride. Makes times when only beginner and intermediate runs are open much more interesting.

Get better or not, if you can have fun on different equipment based on the snow conditions or location, then it would make sense to learn to ride all. I can ski groomers and probably gape my way down the moguls. Never skied powder but given the choice, why would I. Snowskate keeps mellow mountain and mediocre snow fun, interesting, and challenging.

There are many top level athletes doing both. Skills like picking your lines will definitely benefit when you do both.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums