Best Roof Box for stupid long skis

I have a yakima skybox which is supposed to fit 195 skis but not without significant effort and only 1 pair, diagonally making it hard to close sometimes. 202 Lotus? Forget it.

I want to be able to bring a quiver of TGR approved boards in my roofbox, in addition to my wife's 16x length sticks. What box should I get? Obviously will go on a Euro Spec Audi S4 Avant AWD Diesel w/Manual. (just kidding, a land cruiser.)

thule has a find the right box tool

and they also have a comparison pdf that has a 200cm scale figure for reference to their dimensions on the various boxes

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...er?q=nPAubYCVx

$1000 for a roofbox???? Holy shit!!

These are limitless
    Name:  yakima-big-powderhound-snowboard-ski-rack3.jpg
Views: 3249
Size:  150.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    $1000 for a roofbox???? Holy shit!!
    they claim this one can handle 210s for half that
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...pine-_-1680041

I have the skybox 16, rated for 185's. I can get 191's in it with difficulty (separated and each in opposite, diagonal directions, bases down).

The skybox 18 and 21 are rated for up to 215's. Should do the trick for you I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    These are limitless
    Name:  yakima-big-powderhound-snowboard-ski-rack3.jpg
Views: 3249
Size:  150.3 KB
    Once you go box, you never go back.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I have the skybox 16, rated for 185's. I can get 191's in it with difficulty (separated and each in opposite, diagonal directions, bases down).

The skybox 18 and 21 are rated for up to 215's. Should do the trick for you I think.
    The rocket box 11 looked good, much smaller and lower profile. any dentists out there got one? How many pairs of DPS Spoons can you fit?

I have an older spacebooster which is similar to a rocketbox 11. Can easily fit 5-6 pairs of skis if nothing else is in the box and swallows 210 nordic skis easily.

you realize terribly uncore xc skier geeks veritably dripping with lycra have been putting their 210 xc skis in roof top boxes for yars eh?

them ski racks are great places to get dirt/salt/ smoo all over yer skis so the edges will rust up and then you got a good reason to get an edge job

I think i had the 11 until it was stolen along with my golf, I put all kinds of shit in there

a 4x4 pickup avec cap is really where its at
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-16-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If buying used, measure first. I made the mistake of buying a used Yak box after sizing a new one on the retail floor. Same model, different year and unfortunately different dimensions.

Picked up the motion cut xl for a 3rd gen outback. It was the only box I could easily find that fit 190+ and let my hatch open all the way (barely). You could go xxl. It seemed easy to find for 20% off when I was looking. We love it. Looks way better than the force and works better for our situation.

Packasport boxes handle at least 210's without issue. They are expensive but I sourced one used for cheap

I had an old Thule mountaineer that would fit 200s easy peasy
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Rocketbox 11 - fits 195 cm jag sharks + 182 Rossi b1’s (don’t ask) + wife snowboard + kid’s setup + 2 Pairs of poles + other stuff. Low profile. Fits on a Subaru Outback perfectly. Not expensive - especially at REI during their super sale.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/spo...455231586.html
    I've got a dollar says that this one works for you.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I'll second the packasport recommendation. Fit my 202 lotus 138 with no problem though not the 225 dh boards.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I want to be able to bring a quiver of TGR approved boards in my land cruiser.
    Husky/weathertech liners. One seat folded down. Much easier than climbing up on the tires digging around in a roof box. And think of all the extra money you’ll have for beer/weed/hookers/blow/more skis/bacon

This Packasport System 90 is in Ellensburg and will match your Cruiser. $325
    https://yakima.craigslist.org/pts/d/...438866225.html

Looks like there's also a packasport 115 in Bellevue for $300. Looks like it's in great shape.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Looks like there's also a packasport 115 in Bellevue for $300. Looks like it's in great shape.
    Don't steal my deals, I am trying to buy that if it fits the wifes car.

LVS, you should have bought the box off my wife's car before we sold it. I offered it up for fucking peanuts.