Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SRAM is 2-1/2 months early for april fools day....

Seriously, they can just fuck right off.

This is a bad thing... why?

Compatible with existing frames. Uses metal bb cups instead of plastic ones, which hopefully means they'll go more than a week or two before they creak. Saves a bunch of weight. Marginal increase in price.

It uses a new spindle diameter, but who cares? There's already a million different spindle options on the market, and it's not like the old standards are going to all of a sudden become unavailable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This is a bad thing... why?

Compatible with existing frames. Uses metal bb cups instead of plastic ones, which hopefully means they'll go more than a week or two before they creak. Saves a bunch of weight. Marginal increase in price.

It uses a new spindle diameter, but who cares? There's already a million different spindle options on the market, and it's not like the old standards are going to all of a sudden become unavailable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    No, there isn't. There's 24mm and 30mm, more or less.

They literally just pulled a number out of their ass and decided to make spindles in that size.

Toast, don't you work in the industry? Customers are saying over and over: enough with all the sizes and standards. Industry people in response, like you, say: who cares? FUck.

That's why industry people can eat a bag of dicks every once-in-a-while, they don't fucking listen, smug little weenies they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    No, there isn't. There's 24mm and 30mm.
    And Octalink

And Square Taper

And Isis

And about a million different variations that are either 24mm or 30mm, but aren't cross compatible with other similar diameter spindles, so the fact that they're the same diameter is essentially irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And Octalink

And Square Taper

And Isis

And about a million different variations that are either 24mm or 30mm, but aren't cross compatible with other similar diameter spindles, so the fact that they're the same diameter is essentially irrelevant.
    No shit Sherlock. Seriously, you're a fucking moron and fucking shill. Fuck off back to your bike shop.

Can't wait to start reading the horror stories of people running these cranks in 30mm BBs and having shit start breaking.

Just saw this. Wierd. Maybe 30mm was just slightly too big to work with some of the existing gxp/24mm shells. On the other hand- 1mm smaller, really?

SRAM, your drunk! Go home!

That whole SRAM pr vid is fucking hilarious/tragic on so many levels.

The bike industry is eating itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Toast, don't you work in the industry? Customers are saying over and over: enough with all the sizes and standards. Industry people in response, like you, say: who cares? FUck.

That's why industry people can eat a bag of dicks every once-in-a-while, they don't fucking listen, smug little weenies they are.
    I write some reviews sometimes. Not sure that really qualifies me as "working in the industry." My day job is not bike related, and I don't have any dog in Sram's fight.

If they were designing something that required a different frame, I'd be more than happy to tell them to shove it. But I just don't see this as being a big deal.

For the last ~10 years, if I buy a new crankset, I'd buy it with the BB that goes along with it. This new Sram thing isn't any different. Maybe this new "Dub" thing is shit. Maybe the bearings don't last, maybe the cranks snap, maybe the pedal inserts rip out. But absent any actual information indicating that these cranks suck, I'm not going to automatically shit on them because they're slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal
    Just saw this. Wierd. Maybe 30mm was just slightly too big to work with some of the existing gxp/24mm shells. On the other hand- 1mm smaller, really?
    No idea if a 1mm smaller spindle will make much of a difference, but the bearings around those 30mm spindles are tiny and don't hold up that well. Making the bearings bigger makes sense, I think.

But WAIT!

These are BACKWARD compatible AND FORWARD compatible!

They must be talking about physically spining the cranks backward AND forward. This system will do BOTH!

Because the other way to interpret what SRAM is claiming is that SRAM can predict every new design, years down the road, and this system will fit NO MATTER WHAT! FORWARD COMPATIBLE!

SRAM (and the industry) is so full of shit they deserve to choke on it.

SRAM has a TESTING LAB!?! OMG! That's revolutionary! No other company has that! And they tested these cranks IN THE LAB! Holy Shit! Why hasn't ANYONE EVER THOUGHT OF THAT!

But wait! There's more!

They also RODE THEM OUTSIDE!

JESUS! What are they thinking!

1mm!

SRAM: The industry has to many darn so called "standards"!

Me: I agree! So what are you going to do about it SRAM?

SRAM: We're going to, get this...CREATE A NEW STANDARD! But this one is a REAL STANDARD!

SRAM: BACKWARD AND FORWARD COMPATIBLE!

SRAM: 1mm!

Me:

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    That whole SRAM pr vid is fucking hilarious/tragic on so many levels.
    If you had presented the video to me blind and told me it was parody I would have believed it. If you had told me it was serious I still might have guessed parody based solely on the stupid "Dub" name, let alone the mustaches and endless references to "optimization."

That said, if it really is compatible with all current frames it doesn't seem worth getting too worked up about it. BBs are a wear item. If you need new cranks you should probably replace the BB while you're at it anyway.

SRAM: The industry has to many darn so called "standards"!

Me: I agree! So what are you going to do about it SRAM?

SRAM: We're going to, get this...CREATE A NEW STANDARD! But this one is a REAL STANDARD!

SRAM: BACKWARD AND FORWARD COMPATIBLE!

SRAM: 1mm!

Me:
    I believe this is the picture you're looking for:

But yeah. When Sram comes in and adopts a new standard that every other company in the industry is then forced to comply with (see: Boost), that pisses me off.

This isn't that. It's a new BB spindle size. That's about it. It's not like you're going to be forced into owning it because all the new frames are going to be running a different BB shell. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

SRAM: (faulty premise) Eagle technology is seen right now as the bench mark for drive train performance!

Me: By who? Fuck eagle 12. Give me a well spaced 8 or 9 speeds covering the same range and a more robust cassette and chain!

SRAM: by us! and many, many people! other people! many of them! we've met them! honest! you wouldn't believe how many see it this way! it's all of them, that I can tell you!

Me: So wait. Eagle is the pinnacle of performance RIGHT NOW?

SRAM: It is!

Me: Then why are you making new cranks and BB in a new "standard"! What's the shit I've been riding up to this point?

SRAM: BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS COMPATIBLE! We're making NEW STUFF because RIGHT NOW EALGE IS THE PINNACLE OF PERFORMANCE!

Me: Huh?

SRAM: Look over here ... people talking about our lab!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If you had presented the video to me blind and told me it was parody I would have believed it. If you had told me it was serious I still might have guessed parody based solely on the stupid "Dub" name, let alone the mustaches and endless references to "optimization."
    This.

This video has got to be an April fools joke.

SRAM: Hey guys. Remember DUB Step music? And remember 29 inch wheels? Man have we got an idea!

SRAM: (faulty premise) Eagle technology is seen right now as the bench mark for drive train performance!

Me: By who? Fuck eagle 12. Give me a well spaced 8 or 9 speeds covering the same range and a more robust cassette and chain!

SRAM: by us! and many, many people! other people! many of them! we've met them! honest! you wouldn't believe how many see it this way! it's all of them, that I can tell you!

Me: So wait. Eagle is the pinnacle of performance RIGHT NOW?

SRAM: It is!

Me: Then why are you making new cranks and BB in a new "standard"! What's the shit I've been riding up to this point?

SRAM: BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS COMPATIBLE! We're making NEW STUFF because RIGHT NOW EALGE IS THE PINNACLE OF PERFORMANCE!

Me: Huh?

SRAM: Look over here ... people talking about our lab!
    Unfortunately, all 2018 bike manufacturers believe it too. Have you seen the build kits for every single bike released in the last six months? They all have GX Eagle (on $5k bikes, no less) or XO1 Eagle; I can count on one hand the number of bikes I've seen with Shimano 1x11 in the last several months.

Which obviously translates to.... SRAM can do whatever the fuck they want with their drivetrains. Until the bike companies tell them to fuck off, which will likely never happen- because they're making shitloads of margin on a piece-of-shit GX Eagle drivetrain by including it on expensive bikes, when it's worth next to nothing.

On that vein of thought, they're in a great position to actually change something.

30mm spindles apparently are stronger but BBs suck blah blah blah (my cinch BB must be a unicorn, put up with 2 seasons of incredibly gross riding).

Why not use an existing spindle size that many manufacturers use, and then recreate a larger BB around that? Drive frame manufacturers to accommodate a BB that provides adequate ball size and sealing around the existing market. Don't go create new shit and make shit more complicated for everyone.

Writing that rant may be the most useless thing I do this year.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Unfortunately, all 2018 bike manufacturers believe it too. Have you seen the build kits for every single bike released in the last six months? They all have GX Eagle (on $5k bikes, no less) or XO1 Eagle; I can count on one hand the number of bikes I've seen with Shimano 1x11 in the last several months.

Which obviously translates to.... SRAM can do whatever the fuck they want with their drivetrains. Until the bike companies tell them to fuck off, which will likely never happen- because they're making shitloads of margin on a piece-of-shit GX Eagle drivetrain by including it on expensive bikes, when it's worth next to nothing.
    I wouldn't go that far. While it is a bit overpriced for what it is, an GX Eagle drivetrain group goes for $495, while XT8000 is $350.

My point is that bike companies are speccing GX on $5000+ bikes... ridiculous. I also think the markup of XT over SLX is crazy too.

I want hipster facial hair like those guys.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Like Toast said, it's really a non-issue. You'll buy the BB that matches the cranks & frame, just like now.
    Honestly, the only ones this really affects are those of us bike shops who most likely have to buy another BB tool (see Chris King TF30, RaceFace Outboard30 , E13, Enduro TorqTite, and Wheels Mfg)
    The rest of you quit your whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I want hipster facial hair like those guys.
    If I knew someone who had that kind of facial hair was associated with a product I was going to buy, I'd buy a different product.

Meh, it's not boost. Save your rage for the inevitable introduction of 28.25 inch wheels. :-)