Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SRAM is 2-1/2 months early for april fools day....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Everyone should have a look at the Pinkbike comment thread for this. People overwhelmingly agree it's a good idea to enhance the use of an existing standard.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/knolly...-157trail.html
    Someone should find the Super Boost Plus thread, I’m sure Damian had some quality rants in there

I heard a funny story the other day. When Pivot was doing a press launch for the Super Boost Plussed Switchblade, at the last minute Cocalis was running around covering the “Super Boost Plus” logos on the bikes because the initial feedback on the moniker was so bad, although the technology is good.

edit: all the Plusses
    Last edited by joetron; 01-18-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Knolly is bro core brand so its ok if they support a standard that is not easily available.... but back to the point, spindle size has nothing to do with bike standards.... or operating systems
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Knolly is bro core brand so its ok if they support a standard that is not easily available.... but back to the point, spindle size has nothing to do with bike standards.... or operating systems
    It has less to do with the actual standards, than it does the cancerous, predatory practices of a company and the bike industry as a whole.

Looks like pinkbike is having a day of rage...the tide has turned.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/whats-...-for-sram.html

Honestly, I don't see why they didn't just pick something simple like 28mm for the axle diameter, which would actually allow for larger bearings, and then focus on getting the cost down for higher grade axle materials (Ti, high grade steel, etc), complex machining, or composite construction to reduce the weight.

SRAM uses the same 7050 AL in their high end BB30 cranks as raceface uses in their Next crank. 6066 in lower end cranks. Shimano uses a very high grade thin wall steel in XTR cranks. Ti BB spindles were used for years. It's not like a thin wall 28mm axle is going to have any problem with flex.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 01-18-2018 at 08:47 AM.

The 28.99mm is going to be their production spec on a 29mm ID bearing.

Just as while everyone calls a 30mm spindle 30mm and 24mm a 24mm the true measured size is going to be undersized to that to fit in the bearing.

Also for anyone blathering about "no way they can hold 0.01mm spec" you need to go read about centerless grinding. The axle will get spun on a cnc then stuck into a centerless grinder to hit that final tolerance spec.

Personally I think anyone that's got their panty's in a wad over this is an idiot and don't actually understand all of the different bb/crank options on the market and how they interact or don't interact together.

This is going to open up a new bb spec. We'll see the PF30 bearing cups now able to be used at the PF92 widths, it's going to be a best of all all the options.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    The 28.99mm is going to be their production spec on a 29mm ID bearing.

Just as while everyone calls a 30mm spindle 30mm and 24mm a 24mm the true measured size is going to be undersized to that to fit in the bearing.

Also for anyone blathering about "no way they can hold 0.01mm spec" you need to go read about centerless grinding. The axle will get spun on a cnc then stuck into a centerless grinder to hit that final tolerance spec.
    Yes. And 28.99 is the target regardless of tolerance because the tolerance will look like 28.99 +.00/-.XX. And the opposite on the bearing ID (+.XX/-.00). SOP for pins/shafts and close fit holes etc. The .01 mm (minimum) is there to let the shaft slide through without needing a press.

I still say it would have made more sense to use a 28mm spindle. Like in the first place, in 2004.

jongy snow, stop wasting your life being a boring cunt.
    The industry standard in real life is to avoid boring cunts and boring cunt always need a good dentist after they've had their teeth punched out again. Best for you to stop going on about industry standards and bad mouthing dentists

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    jongy snow, stop wasting your life being a boring cunt.
    The industry standard in real life is to avoid boring cunts and boring cunt always need a good dentist after they've had their teeth punched out again. Best for you to stop going on about industry standards and bad mouthing dentists

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    jongy snow, if you want to educate and enlighten yourself on how the other half of the Great British public go through their journey in life, i strongly recommend you give an hour or so of your time to watch Jeremy Kyle

i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum