Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Stay away from people, don't shake hands and wash your hands a lot. Seems to work for me. Love working from home.
    This right here is way more effective than a shot. If you feel sick don't spread it around like an ass.

As is customary in these threads, it's useful to point out that puking and diarrhea are symptoms of a stomach bug, which is not the same as the flu.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    As is customary in these threads, it's useful to point out that puking and diarrhea are symptoms of a stomach bug, which is not the same as the flu.
    Let's not get all science-based in this thread now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Word on the street around here is that it's only 10% effective this year.
    Nooo thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Source?

All over the news - you can Google and take your pick but here's one:

This year's flu vaccine may only be 10% effective, experts warn
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Those symptoms are also generally not "food poisoning" in the strict sense.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    This right here is way more effective than a shot. If you feel sick don't spread it around like an ass.
    This is not more effective that a shot for many reasons.

It's also passed in droplets in the air you breathe, 3-6 feet from an infected person.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    It's also passed in droplets in the air you breathe, 3-6 feet from an infected person.
    Think about that the next time you walk into a blown up restroom.

I've had so many flu shots over the years surely I must have immunity to all the strains, right? Right?

I quit getting the shot when I moved from an office job in the city where I commuted via mass transit to a farm in the country where I drive into town once or twice a week. If I don't feel good I stay home. When I go out grocery shopping etc. I do it in the early morning on a Monday when there are less people out and I often wear gloves unless it's a freakishly warm winter day then I use hand sanitizer and try not to touch my face.

I was feeling bad last week per my post but now I'm thinking it wasn't the flu or if it was an extremely weak form. May have been a bad sinus infection. Never had a sore throat, cough or temp above 100 (if my thermometer is to be believed). Stayed home, rested, got plenty of fluids.

My horseshoer got the vaccine this year but still got sick.

Waddayagonnado?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Would it surprise you if I told you that being contagious generally starts *BEFORE* one become symptomatic?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I've had so many flu shots over the years surely I must have immunity to all the strains, right? Right?
    I believe that you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of how flu vaccines function.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Word on the street around here is that it's only 10% effective this year.
    Nooo thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Would it surprise you if I told you that being contagious generally starts *BEFORE* one become symptomatic?
    Most healthy adults may be able to infect other people beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. Symptoms start 1 to 4 days after the virus enters the body.

How Flu Spreads

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I believe that you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of how flu vaccines function.
    Oh I'm sorry.... did I forget the ?

Vaccine threads never fail to bring the stupid to the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Oh I'm sorry.... did I forget the ?
    Ahhh... carry on. DAMN YOU INTERNET!

Thanks for the article. Followed it through to the actual article written in the New England Journal of Medicine. For the lazy you can read it directly HERE.

Mutating influenza viruses are definitely an issue, and it seems we have some work to do in that particular department. That said, still glad I got the shot as it's one less (sub)strain I have to worry about, sans mutations.

Your immune system can benefit and strengthen its ability to fight viruses by letting it run its course. If we keep depending on a medical intervention to shorten or prevent an issue, the body can become lazy. I agree there are people that will benefit from it but IMO it's overkill trying to get everyone to take it.

My Dad gets it because he should.
    I will not take it unless I feel I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Your immune system can benefit and strengthen its ability to fight viruses by letting it run its course. If we keep depending on a medical intervention to shorten or prevent an issue, the body can become lazy. I agree there are people that will benefit from it but IMO it's overkill trying to get everyone to take it.

You, as usual, are wildly misinformed.

Vaccines are excellent exercise for your immune system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Many who need it can't get it for a number of reasons, hence the need to inoculate everyone.

Wife got shot and got sick. I did not, and have not. But knocking on wood nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Vaccine threads never fail to bring the stupid to the surface.

Waddayagonnado?
    Fetal position in corner of dark room.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Did I have the flu or a cold?
    5 weeks. Weak, tired, stuffy nose/sinus congestion, mucus cough, no fever but was "cold"
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Fetal position in corner of dark room.
    Life is scary man.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    5 weeks. Weak, tired, stuffy nose/sinus congestion, mucus cough, no fever but was "cold"
    Kinda what I had in a shorter time frame and minus the cough. Frontal sinuses were congested but did not have a stuffy nose. Def. felt chilled on several occasions.

This thread brings the lulz from all angles. I've watched people die from complications related to influenza, some younger than 60 and otherwise healthy with unremarkable medical histories. Even if it is only 10% effective, why would you not want to reduce your chances of getting the flu by 10%? I hope for the sake of your loved ones as well as the taxpayers you dummies don't end up in the MICU on ECMO. It doesn't look pleasant and costs a little more than the influenza vaccine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

My work makes it stupid easy/convenient to get a free flu shot. I would be dumb not to take advantage.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Probably neither one. Some sort of upper respiratory infection, probably a virus. I had a thing like that last June/July, 6 weeks easy. My brother had the same thing. The "weak" part was huge in mine, I could hardly fucking move. I'd start feeling like I was all right and I'd get up to do something and have to sit back down after like 30 seconds.