Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Did some reading on the flu pandemic of 1918 the other day. It resulted in the deaths of 50 to 100 million (three to five percent of the world's population), making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history.

Interesting how the virus attacked the young & healthy by turning their healthy immune system against them:

There are several possible explanations for the high mortality rate of the 1918 influenza pandemic. Some research suggests that the specific variant of the virus had an unusually aggressive nature. One group of researchers recovered the virus from the bodies of frozen victims, and found that transfection in animals caused a rapid progressive respiratory failure and death through a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system). It was then postulated that the strong immune reactions of young adults ravaged the body, whereas the weaker immune systems of children and middle-aged adults resulted in fewer deaths among those groups.[11]

1918 flu pandemic
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Probably neither one. Some sort of upper respiratory infection, probably a virus. I had a thing like that last June/July, 6 weeks easy. My brother had the same thing. The "weak" part was huge in mine, I could hardly fucking move. I'd start feeling like I was all right and I'd get up to do something and have to sit back down after like 30 seconds.
    Yeah figured a non-flu virus. Been kinda hoping that I'd already had the flu so I don't have a chance of adding Flu to the list of recent trials and tribulations in upcoming weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I don't like needles.
    They do offer a intra nasal option
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

Interesting how the virus attacked the young & healthy by turning their healthy immune system against them
    It happens every day to many people still. Ya know there are too many people in the world, so something has to keep us in check. We can keep fighting, but we're all gonna lose in the end. The question is when and how. Hopefully not from fat little korean and a cheeto.

Me and the Mrs. got flu shot. So did my little bro and his wife. So for, knocking on wood, I have not been laid low by the flu. It got my wife, my bro and SIL. But it has also laid waste to the company I work for. And most people got the flu shot, but as has been mentioned it's the wrong strain. Can't get it right all the time. One person in my dept. was in the hospital for 3 days it was so bad. She was out almost two weeks, and just came back today. Wash those hands with soap, and don't touch anything! Now, where's my can of Lysol!?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    They do offer a intra nasal option
    The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated influenza vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during 2017-2018.

Deadly flu sweeps across Texas
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated influenza vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during 2017-2018.

Deadly flu sweeps across Texas
    "Of the 1,155 deaths, 895 involved people ages 65 and over, and there were four flu-related pediatric deaths reported."

Geez...horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It happens every day to many people still. Ya know there are too many people in the world, so something has to keep us in check.
    That's what Tide Pods are for, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    That's what Tide Pods are for, apparently.
    wtf! I had to look that up.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    wtf! I had to look that up.
    Me too. And speaking of wtf, wtf? Gronk?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Vaccine threads never fail to bring the stupid to the surface.
    Is that why you decided to post?

Interesting.....

. One group of researchers recovered the virus from the bodies of frozen victims, and found that transfection in animals caused a rapid progressive respiratory failure and death through a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system). It was then postulated that the strong immune reactions of young adults ravaged the body.....[11][/I][/B]

1918 flu pandemic
    WTF... there are frozen corpses just sitting there for the science...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    WTF... there are frozen corpses just sitting there for the science...
    People died from that flu way up North in the Arctic, like in Svalbard, and they somehow buried them in permafrost and they've been frozen ever since and they've been getting exhumed now for research.

By Al Gore with a hair dryer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    By Al Gore with a hair dryer?
    I remembered this article, but holy fuck it's 20 years old! Look at the memory on this kid here.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1.../the-dead-zone

People died from that flu way up North in the Arctic, like in Svalbard, and they somehow buried them in permafrost and they've been frozen ever since and they've been getting exhumed now for research.
    Iceman drops knowledge in jeans
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Thank you for your concern.

I have had the Vaccines about 6 times the past 20 years. Had what I am sure was influenza 2x.

I believe in Vaccines for disease such as Polio, Measles etc where you have the Vaccine and are pretty well done.

A Vaccine for a different strain every year? I will pass, thank you again.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Me too. And speaking of wtf, wtf? Gronk?

It's good he's speaking out against it. He did commercials for them apparently? He sure is capitalizing on his fame while he has it.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    To put the health professional at ease who is giving me the needle I always look them in the eye and say " don't worry this won't hurt a bit " and it seems to work

Right now there is a CBC feature on a shingles vaccine
    I make the saul rosenberg voice from Jerky Boys and say oooohhhh my gawd, how dare you!

It slays with the RNz.

Iceman knows icemen.

Two separate scientific expeditions recovered tissue samples from victims buried in permafrost in Norway and Alaska. More clues were obtained from lung tissue from a first world war soldier, discovered in a pathology warehouse in Washington DC.

I remembered this article, but holy fuck it's 20 years old! Look at the memory on this kid here.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1.../the-dead-zone
    The pic on the article of policemen wearing masks provided by the American Red Cross in Seattle, 1918

I got a flu shot this year, and I did not get the flu.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Then you, Sir, are winning!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Is that why you decided to post?
    Go be fat and ignorant if Panama.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I got a flu shot this year, and I did not get the flu yet.
    FIFY

Hope you don't

Last time I had the flu (25 years ago?) I had a flu shot.

as someone else pointed out, it's e temporary vaccine targeted to a specific strain. I'd rather take my chances that my immune system and common sense will protect me.

Also questionable are people who overuse hand sanitizer and lysol. Some of the sickest people I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.