Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2018 Trek Stache (aka a mid-fat)...would you? did you? should I?

So, after taking the squishy bike out last week and getting more mud on me from cleaning it than the actual ride...it got me thinking...maybe a fatty hardtail would be a fun 'winter' bike and save some wear/tear on my full squish.

Disclaimer- I live in NorCal/SF Bay Area, I actually have no concept of what a true 'winter' is.

What I'm trying to sort out is;
    Do HT's deal with bad weather (mud/grit/etc) better than the full squish. Seems like an somewhat obvious question/answer, and maybe I'm just overreacting trying to baby the Bronson. But, if in fact a HT (specifically a wide-tire type) is a solid winter/bad weather option, is the Trek Stache a solid option?

For reference, here's what I'm looking at- https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey

Anyone ride the Stache? How did it do in crappy/cruddy/muddy conditions?
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Hard tails are a lot of fun.

Plus bikes.... I am not totally sold on their performance.

... however this plays out, you definitely need some form of a hard tail in your bike line up.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I love having a Kona Big Honzo, plus bike....complements my Jekyl and Nicer SS. It’s no race bike...I just go out and ride it.

I have a friend that owns a Trek dealership. He rides a lot and a lot of different types of bikes.

He told me the Stache is his favorite bike and if he only had one, that would be it.

hardtails are fun.

if you dont like plus, you can always mount a "skinny" tire on it.

I spent a couple days on a Stache last summer, and it was an absolute blast. If it was in the budget, I definitely would.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

A lot people shit on plus size tires but I really love having a hardtail with a set of 2.8's for wet and loose conditions. Just be sure to use a tire with a reasonably sturdy sidewall so you can run lower pressure and not roll the sidewall through corners. Like mtnlion said - if you don't like the fat tires, just run 2.3s or 2.4s.

I've got a couple friends with Staches - they're super fun bikes that love to manual and jump all day. Its a great 2nd bike to have alongside a full suspension rig. I ride my Chromag hardtail over my full suspension more than I ever thought I would.

Other than the lack of a shock and pivots, there isn't much else that makes an HT better for winter. I don't really ever get mud/grit that high up onto my frame but I also don't really ride unless everything is frozen or thawed out and dry. Maybe throw on some fenders for extra protection?

That said, I love my midfat/plus HT. I just built a 27.5+ wheelset about a month ago with initial intentions to replace my 29's during the winter, however my impressions so far have me believing I might not be switching back very quickly.

A friend with a lot of high-end bikes in his quiver rides his Stache more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I have a friend that owns a Trek dealership. He rides a lot and a lot of different types of bikes.

He told me the Stache is his favorite bike and if he only had one, that would be it.
    This. I bought a 2017 Stache 9.6, put some carbon wheels on it and has become my favorite bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    A friend with a lot of high-end bikes in his quiver rides his Stache more than anything else.
    Thanks for all the feedback! I've heard this type of response over and over again. Looking like I may add to the family :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    That is precisely what I'm going for.

I bought a Kona Wo this past fall in an attempt to extend my riding season through the winter. In addition to riding a bunch more over the winter, it has gotten me thinking about adding a suspension fork and a second set of 27.5+ wheels this summer.

I'm riding in all conditions - from driving rain to snow and ice, so the bike gets really dirty. I'm glad that the only thing I really need to clean is the drivetrain - no shock and fork maintenance to worry about. Obviously that goes away if I add that shock...

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPWDR View Post
    So, after taking the squishy bike out last week and getting more mud on me from cleaning it than the actual ride...it got me thinking..
    Cleaning a hardtail will get you every bit as dirty as cleaning a full squish.

Do HT's deal with bad weather (mud/grit/etc) better than the full squish.
    No. They are designed to be in the dirt.

Seems like maybe I'm just overreacting trying to baby the Bronson.
    Yes. For sure. In a hudge embarrassing way.

is the Trek Stache a solid option?
    Of course it is! N + 1 is the answer. New bikes are like new girlfriends titties. And you’ll probably reply just like the rest of this flock when you see similar threads in the future. Until you get ........ N + 2!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

A while back there was a video of Cam McCaul doing a bunch of crazy stuff on his Stache. At some point he says that it might be the single funnest bike he owns.

Looks like a Trek Stache 5 will be incoming, t-minus 1 week.

I think all threads like this should be combined into "help me rationalize a new bike" master thread.
    Ive started a few of them myself...

nothing makes you want to ride your bike more than a new bike, well done sir

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    I think all threads like this should be combined into "help me rationalize a new bike" master thread.
    Ive started a few of them myself...
    I think all threads like this should include a compulsory follow up by the OP complete with TR pics and 6 month post honeymoon insights.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I think all threads like this should include a compulsory follow up by the OP complete with TR pics and 6 month post honeymoon insights.
    Or at the least, a video of them telling their wife/gf why they needed a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    Or at the least, a video of them telling their wife/gf why they needed a new bike.

I don't understand the above statement...do people actually do that!?

My son and I beat the system this winter. We are building up a Chromag Rootdown as a "winter father-son project."
    His idea, truly, so how could she say no? Gotta hand it to the kid...he played this one really well.

Didn't read the whole thread but I have three friends who started riding Staches last summer. They are all total hardasses on bikes and they are all totally gay for the Stache.

N+1 bikes are always a good idea, just like skis.

But your Bronson is meant to get dirty. You'll more likely fuck it up more by cleaning it with a hose than you will riding it in mud. If you're really having issues with grit getting in the lower link, do something like this:
    http://blog.artscyclery.com/mountain...tom-mud-guard/