Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am borrowing a friends big honzo right now..

It's too big, the bars are too wide and the cockpit isnt set up for me. It's stupid fun and I'm hitting drops and going faster than I do on on my process.

My plus bike sees more use than all of my other bikes combined. I had two crazy expensive full squish bikes for 6 months last year and the good ol' steel ht plus bike is the one that came out to play almost exclusively. I can't really think of a reason to change that MO unless a blingier plus bike lands in my lap

Still trying to (financially) justify this N+1 bike...getting closer though!
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Bumping an old thread. I’ve been looking seriously at the stache for a few weeks. I had two thoughts/ questions:

1) Anyone run into “between” sizing with trek?

By the chart, I’m 17.5 (5’7”) but when I got on it, I felt fairly close to the bars. Fucked with the cockpit at the shop but still had the impression my arms were a bit scrunched. Gonna try it in a 18.5 but wasn’t sure if this was common.

2) Any opinions on the stock 7 build kit? I’m not familiar with the post (I think it’s basically a KS Lev unbranded for Bontrager)

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Bumping an old thread. I’ve been looking seriously at the stache for a few weeks. I had two thoughts/ questions:

1) Anyone run into “between” sizing with trek?

By the chart, I’m 17.5 (5’7”) but when I got on it, I felt fairly close to the bars. Fucked with the cockpit at the shop but still had the impression my arms were a bit scrunched. Gonna try it in a 18.5 but wasn’t sure if this was common.

2) Any opinions on the stock 7 build kit? I’m not familiar with the post (I think it’s basically a KS Lev unbranded for Bontrager)
    I have a 2016 Stache 7, love it. It came with a GX drivetrain then, I’m sure the SLX build is solid. I changed a few things, added a Line Pro carbon bar, Line Plus wheelset (I kinda think Bontrager wheels are awesome, especially for the price), and added a Bontrager dropper post. It’s a pretty vanilla post, just a standard cartridge like a Giant. Nothing flashy, just satisfied my matching OCD......

As far as Trek sizing, it’s been one of my issues as well. I’m 6’2” and I fall into the Trek sizing hole. I have friends that have steered clear of Trek for this very reason. Every bike I own or have owned I’ve fit perfectly on a Large. With Trek, there’s a HUGE jump from 19.5 to 21.5. Makes me like a Large-and-a-half. I didn’t want to look or feel like a circus bear, so I sized up with the thought of the flexibility of a shorter stem. It works.... and it’s still a CRAZY fun bike!

Hope this helps......

Quote Originally Posted by RBWebb View Post
    I have a 2016 Stache 7, love it. It came with a GX drivetrain then, I’m sure the SLX build is solid. I changed a few things, added a Line Pro carbon bar, Line Plus wheelset (I kinda think Bontrager wheels are awesome, especially for the price), and added a Bontrager dropper post. It’s a pretty vanilla post, just a standard cartridge like a Giant. Nothing flashy, just satisfied my matching OCD......

As far as Trek sizing, it’s been one of my issues as well. I’m 6’2” and I fall into the Trek sizing hole. I have friends that have steered clear of Trek for this very reason. Every bike I own or have owned I’ve fit perfectly on a Large. With Trek, there’s a HUGE jump from 19.5 to 21.5. Makes me like a Large-and-a-half. I didn’t want to look or feel like a circus bear, so I sized up with the thought of the flexibility of a shorter stem. It works.... and it’s still a CRAZY fun bike!

Hope this helps......
    Quite a bit, thanks!! On all my other bikes, I have been a solid medium. With Trek stuff, I am in between a 17.5 and an 18.5 I rode the 17.5 but my arms felt pulled back a bit and too compact. The LBS is getting a 5 in an 18.5 for me to ride side by side.

Quite a bit, thanks!! On all my other bikes, I have been a solid medium. With Trek stuff, I am in between a 17.5 and an 18.5 I rode the 17.5 but my arms felt pulled back a bit and too compact. The LBS is getting a 5 in an 18.5 for me to ride side by side.
    Any time! Sounds like me when I rode the 19.5. Let us know what you come up with.....

I’ve been thinking about adding a Geurilla Gravity Pedalhead for exactly the same reason as the OP, except now that I’m outta NorCal and situated in the Southern Willamette I have legitimate winter concerns. I think it’s less about hardtail vs FS for rain and more about going with an SLX or NX drivetrain that I’ll be less concerned about mucking up on the regular, as we have a mix of volcanic soils, loam, and also road sand/salt from being on the hitch mount rack in winter conditions that just eat into chains and other things. Maybe a King or RWC bottom bracket, good quality hubs and mid grade components everywhere else. The PH can run a 29 x 2.4 or 27.5 x 2.8 in the rear. My only problem is I got way hosed on taxes this year and after paying a big check to the Treasury I can’t justify another bike for a while.

NorCalPwder, the bigger question is where would you ride in the winter? I’m still learning which trails here are designed to drain and handle winter use (and we do have quite a bit that is good to go here midwinter) ... but back in the Bay I would only ride Oat Mine or Skeggs when things were pretty soaked, most other places always seemed too soft to hold up until 2 days after the rain passed.

HankScorpio, did you demo anything else before you chose the Rootdown? I’ve been wanting to compare that to the PH, but the PH is literally the most fun I’ve had on a bike in years. Amazing geometry and rear end damping.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    HankScorpio, did you demo anything else before you chose the Rootdown? I’ve been wanting to compare that to the PH, but the PH is literally the most fun I’ve had on a bike in years. Amazing geometry and rear end damping.
    I never really did any demos. I ended up with a Surface (same as the Rootdown) kinda by chance. I rode a ‘13 TransAM for several years and wanted a newer “all mountain” hardtail considering my TransAM geo was getting out dated. My buddy had a Surface he had bought and not even ridden yet when he changed his mind, got a carbon Stache and sold the Surface frame to me for short money.

The Surface geo is spot on - slack but not too slack (66* with a 140 fork, I believe), sub 17 inch chain stays - it’s basically long, long and slack without being too of any of those. I’ve never ridden a Pedal Head but the Surface/Rootdown is stupid fun and comfortable enough for an all day ride. Another big seller was the sizing - I’m sometimes between and medium and large and Chromag offers a M/L size that has an 18.5 inch seat tube which is a perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The honzo is a super long with a real low stand over so you can get whatever size for your preferred reach..