Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When your car is frozen shut

It SUCKS Both doors and the trunk. 2" of rain then it dropped to single digits and the thing is locked up tight. Tow company won't touch it to put it on a flatbed because it's in gear with the e-brake pulled and they won't take the chance of damaging it. Good thing it's not my only option. Anyone in the NY Metro have wheel dollies so I can roll it onto a flatbed to have it brought to a garage to thaw out?

Heat gun
    Hair dryer
    Hot water

Might be worth a shot.

Remote starter?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A true story: Back in the late 90's, I lived in MN. I drove a Toyota Previa van. One evening I went to a car wash to get all the shitty salt cleaned off; I then went to a bar to meet friends. It was really cold when I left a few hours later; I couldn't get any door to open except the rear hatch, so I crawled in that way. So far so good. I then pulled up in front of my house, and couldn't get anything to open. The Previa rear hatch does not open from the inside. No windows would roll down. It was 1am, so I'm not gonna honk to try to get my wife to wake up and help me. I drove back to the car wash, hoping to park it inside to let it warm up; the wash was open for business, but all the doors were closed, and there was nobody around. Fine, I'll just wait for someone to show up and let me in. A few minutes pass, and I really have to piss. like REALLY have to piss. I had no containers inside, and the only windows I could open were those shitty tilt-out van windows. Desperate, I was just getting myself lined up with the window opening (some impressive acrobatics) when a car pulled up. I honked, and the guy opened the door so i could park inside. I ran to the pisser like a man possessed.

Always keep a pee bottle in the car.

heat and de-icer spray.

Remote starter is the best 500 dollar option evah.

but, for now, hot water.

That^^^^

Maybe??

Could try lots and lots of rubbing alcohol as a de-icer.

Hot water will crack windows.

Lick the door handle.

But only if it's metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    A true story: Back in the late 90's, I lived in MN. I drove a Toyota Previa van. One evening I went to a car wash to get all the shitty salt cleaned off; I then went to a bar to meet friends. It was really cold when I left a few hours later; I couldn't get any door to open except the rear hatch, so I crawled in that way. So far so good. I then pulled up in front of my house, and couldn't get anything to open. The Previa rear hatch does not open from the inside. No windows would roll down. It was 1am, so I'm not gonna honk to try to get my wife to wake up and help me. I drove back to the car wash, hoping to park it inside to let it warm up; the wash was open for business, but all the doors were closed, and there was nobody around. Fine, I'll just wait for someone to show up and let me in. A few minutes pass, and I really have to piss. like REALLY have to piss. I had no containers inside, and the only windows I could open were those shitty tilt-out van windows. Desperate, I was just getting myself lined up with the window opening (some impressive acrobatics) when a car pulled up. I honked, and the guy opened the door so i could park inside. I ran to the pisser like a man possessed.
    Heh, good story.

Small rubber mallet

Works like a charm and used correctly it will not damage the paint or metal. Do not use it on the windows

Pam cooking spray on the door seals

do this BEFORE it freezes
    watch out for snakes

Shoulda pissed on the door.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Shoulda pissed on the door.
    Wise words. Legit.

It works.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Remote starter is the best 500 dollar option evah.

but, for now, hot water.
    I have a page back remote starter in my ford
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Rubbing alcohol eats ice. Hot water freezes
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Flame thrower (or mini torch for soldering would work too)- did the hair dryer 2 times in the last few days to get the office door either locked or this morning open. But have no electric outlet to plug in the hair dryer though unless I can get in one of the doors... lock deicer helps sometimes, but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Flame thrower (or mini torch for soldering would work too)- did the hair dryer 2 times in the last few days to get the office door either locked or this morning open. But have no electric outlet to plug in the hair dryer though unless I can get in one of the doors... lock deicer helps sometimes, but not always.
    So there are downsides to leaving the server door open besides letting in M-Series Jongs?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

PB blaster!
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Manual transmission so remote starter is a no go. Tried lock deicer with a little straw to direct it to the right spot where the door latch is but it's behind the molding so no go there either. Hot water = bad, been there before Looks like Thursday and Friday will be sunny and warm enough so it's a brick at the end of the driveway until then.

steal one of those outdoor patio propane heaters from the local bk hipster hangout

You're at home and you can't get it? I'd understand if it's not at home but electric space heater? Or a gallon of windshield wash fluid?

Wait till spring.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Drive it to somewhere warmer down south. Should do the trick methinks
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Push on door hard enough to rock the car back and forth. Spray de-icer. Try key in door. Repeat. I did this many times during MA ice storms:

I had this happen in the same conditions the other day. I was able to force the main door, but the sliding door wouldn't open as the force wasn't directly right to break the ice. A 30 minute drive didn't phase it, but thankfully I borrowed my parents garage briefly so it could thaw. Would have sucked had I been traveling somewhere else.