Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oregonians - you don't pump your own gas???

You lazy fucks
    https://www.npr.org/2018/01/05/57597...e-gas-stations

"Do you have trouble pumping your own gas?"
    *guy grabs pump handle and sprays himself in the face*
    "Then do we have the state for YOU!"

"Pumped my own gas my whole life and now my hands have literally melted down to my wrists. I’m typing this with my tongue."

There's some truly hilarious comments on the facebook page about it
    https://www.facebook.com/KTVLNews10/...type=3&theater

I think they just recently made it so you can pump your own in OR, leaving New Jersey as the only full-time full-serve state.

Was in OR for business over summer and got out to pump my own gas. Dam near had a heart attack when the dude ran up behind me and told me to get back in the car, took a second to realize who he was and what he was trying to say. He actually liked his job since he got to talk to alot of people and the time went by quickly. He said his regulars tipped him well. I tipped him a few bucks since he was so polite and we had a nice conversation.

guess he needs to learn how to be a bartender now.

So fucking annoying getting gas in Oregon

People tip the gas attendants?

Don’t tip the people pumping your gas! Jeezus.

Not pumping your gas in Oregon was good and bad. It sucked having to wait for the attendant to show up if you were at a busy gas station. Probably took 10 minutes to get gas sometimes.

But, when it’s freezing cold or pissing rain it was sure nice to sit in your nice warm car.

I back of the enveloped one time how much productivity the state probably lost every year because people sat in their cars waiting for gas. It was like a quarter billion dollars.

I wish we had bums to pump for us

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 6.51.34 PM.png
Views: 548
Size:  90.8 KB
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think they just recently made it so you can pump your own in OR, leaving New Jersey as the only full-time full-serve state.
    only changed it for very rural areas of OR, I believe.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, and it really is because they can’t staff the pumps out in the sticks, otherwise Mama Oregon says we need a safe professional to administer fuel loading for us unsafe civilian drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    only changed it for very rural areas of OR, I believe.
    Towns under 40K, good to pump your own gas. Just a few years back, they passed a law for small towns to pump gas after hours. (9PM-6AM, I think) Sucks to be in Poe Dunk, OR at 10PM, and no gas attendant, pumps shut off, and your fuel light is on.

I had a work colleague out from NJ a few years back. She was on her way to return the rental car at Sea-Tac, call me to ask how to pump the gas. I told her how over the phone, she was so excited when she completed the task, and I just had to laugh.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Back in ancient times I worked for an. association of guys that ran gas stations The folks running the OR and NJ Associations were considered gods when they got bills banning self service passed.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

When unemployment was so high in Oregon this was considered pro growth.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Was in OR for business over summer and got out to pump my own gas. Dam near had a heart attack when the dude ran up behind me and told me to get back in the car, took a second to realize who he was and what he was trying to say. He actually liked his job since he got to talk to alot of people and the time went by quickly. He said his regulars tipped him well. I tipped him a few bucks since he was so polite and we had a nice conversation.

guess he needs to learn how to be a bartender now.
    HA! The exact same thing happened to me last year in Medford. I thought some tweaker was coming to shiv me! After a few seconds I realized what he was telling me. Too funny!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Back in my day, we had to pump our own gas.
    By Hand.
    Negative temperatures as far as the eye can see.
    With snow and Ice blowing in your face from the wind.
    AT NIGHT!

...Oh wait, 'my day' was 2 days ago in Iowa

Up here in BC we have to pay for our fuel before we pump it.

I grew up in Portland, so never really had a chance to learn to pump gas until one year when I was about ten and my family took a road trip to California. My dad said "You should know how to pump gas" and sent me to fill up the tank. Not sure if he overestimated my savoir faire or just had to take care of something else, but he didn't give me any guidance to speak of.

Whatever, it's not that hard and I get it figured out. I'm standing there, pumping gas into our old Malibu wagon, and wondering how long it takes to fill a gas tank when the gas station attendant wanders over and gives me a long look, probably assessing me for developmental defects. He must have decided I looked OK because he cleared his throat and addressed me: "So...you want me to turn on that pump?"

Heh. Well, I had to learn sometime. Nowadays. I imagine that most Oregonians know how to pump gas - it's hard for me to believe that a significant fraction have never bought gas out of state, especially in the Portland metro, with Vancouver just over the river.

Remember when the filler was underneath the license plate?

And the high beams were on the floor?

Millennials would be fucked.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

And no wiper delay.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I dug the floor highbeams. And the little triangle windows.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Remember when the filler was underneath the license plate?
    Or behind the tail light.

The floor-mounted high beams are pretty practical now given the takeover of automatic transmissions and overloaded steering column stalks.

yeah, I wish floor high beams were still a thing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Many of first jobs in high school were petroleum transfer technician. The local texaco was also the tobacco supply for the under 18 crowd.

Oregonians - you don't pump your own gas???

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I dug the floor highbeams. And the little triangle windows.
    I'm choking up a bit now.

Fuck. And t-tops.

I've ridden a motorcycle through Oregon a few times, and they always let us pump our own bikes.