Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alamosa, CO

Alamosa, CO

I am going to be spending a lot of time there in the next couple of months. Looking for any info at all. Of course good places to eat, where I can get good coffee, that kind of stuff is welcome. But also, where is the nearest outdoor recreation?

I'm unlikely to go bc skiing, but where is the nearest place or places I could bust out the long skinny skis? I won't have any time for big adventures, and if I somehow do get that time I'd probably drive to Wolf Creek or Monarch for some lift served, but if a snow covered fire road or trail is not that far, maybe I could get out for a couple of hours.

I suppose there's always sand skiing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Definitely some good mexican food there. There is no snow right now, like literally 0, so you can't ski unless you drive to WC or Monarch. But if it does snow, the old resorts might be the best bet for easy skiing- pick up a copy of powder ghost towns. Otherwise, bring your bike and ride penitente.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    great link, thanks.
    Last edited by Danno; 01-15-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Can't you just go to the Alamosa library and ask the librarian where the best backcountry skiing is?

Taos, not for skiing, just go eat at Orlando's. Sand Dunes Ntl Park is pretty close too.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Can't you just go to the Alamosa library and ask the librarian where the best backcountry skiing is?

Hah. Bringing it old school.

And FTR, I am not asking about backcountry skiing. I will be by myself and am not interested in getting into anything that can be considered BC skiing. Just looking for xc touring, that type of thing, plus food/coffee recommendations (and any other recommendations anyone can offer, like "bring the bike and ride penitente", which might be hard to do but is under advisement).

Crestone brewery is decent stop on your drive too / from. Brewer there used to run a belgian place up in NW suburbs that was damn good.

Yeah, definitely good coffee and beer in Alamosa. I may be out that way by mid February for a week or so.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I could get down that way for some BC laps and or biking and or WC trip. I usually try to hit WC a time or two a year.

I was just wondering what the time frame is to get from Denver to WC via i25 through Alamosa as opposed to 285. Anyone try both or have it already mapped out? I've taken 285 everytime I've gone.

The only thing I know about Alamosa is that it always had the coldest temps in Colorady on that ole 9News map.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I was just wondering what the time frame is to get from Denver to WC via i25 through Alamosa as opposed to 285. Anyone try both or have it already mapped out? I've taken 285 everytime I've gone.
    According to Google, about 30min slower from downtown via I-25. Plus you have to deal with the potential for traffic in CO Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    According to Google, about 30min slower from downtown via I-25. Plus you have to deal with the potential for traffic in CO Springs.
    Yeah, I think people go via 25 and 160 because it is "easier" driving (not IMO, but some prefer the sanitized interstate), and in bad conditions it is a lower elevation drive.

I won't be with my family, I will be there for weeks for work. And I will be super busy, so all of this may be moot. I just wanted a few options in my back pocket if the moment arose.

Probably why I won't bring the bike, it's a large item that is hard to conceal from thieves and coworkers. Having skis in the rocketbox to give me something to do if I get a free few hours is probably a better play.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, I think people go via 25 and 160 because it is "easier" driving (not IMO, but some prefer the sanitized interstate), and in bad conditions it is a lower elevation drive.

If it's actually snowing and you're storm chasing, 285 is probably a safer bet. They like to close La Veta when it's not that bad. I come from the SE, and have had to go up to 50 and then back down before.

I know you just said you probably won't bring your bike, but bring your bike.

I haven't been down there to ride but I have heard there are some decent trails around Del Norte.

It was a great day yesterday on the trails here in Salida.

Monarch is getting better, but not great yet, fingers crossed for this weekend.

Must of deleted my post. 4hrs11min south fork to denver tech last saturday via 160 and 25. Big fan of Cavillos. Sand dune swimming pool is a great family vibe. WC had some nordic track groomed. Lobo and out the divide is an easy safe tour. Options are limited if you want to make some BC turns. PM me if you are inteterested i will be going for the exercise. Adams state bball game could be fun.

Pronghorn system in del norte is closed for wildlife. Stone quarry is good and 10 minutes closer. Penitente is still riding well and is a not to miss in my opinion. Best thing about the San luis Valley is no traffic. An hour drive is an hour drive.

UFOs and weed just north up by Moffat
    Locavores is good eats in Alamosa
    Don Tomas is a great Mexican bakery in Monte Vista....Achis burrito!
    Golf is still an option
    May-wa is also good eats

good stuff, thanks!

Anyone know if there is any kind of path system in or around town? And is the town safe (or are there parts to avoid)? Because many days the best I may have is time for a 30 minute walk.

I only know the main drag thru town 160, but would guess there is good walking near campus and surrounding 'hoods. There is a park on the Rio Grande on the east side. There are some gangsta wanna-be/potential thugs in the valley, but I have never had an issue. I tend to always lock my car and keep stuff inside out of sight.

Yeah I guess that's why I've always taken 285, get the heck out of the city and traffic.
    Actually talking to a girl that lives in Alamosa and looking at the map saw it was on the route to WC if going the i25 route, had never pondered that before.

You can grab a functional mtn bike on CL for $50-$100.
    I have a junker I take to grab groceries/burrito/coffee.
    Put a new saddle on and wd-40 the rust off the chain, maybe some brake pads, good to go. Why would you need to hide it from co workers? How many days a week are they paying you for? I could envision it might be 7,

Dude, I know you are from NYC and parts of the San Luis have a rep for some vatos loco but really it's Colorado. Is there anywhere you don't feel safe? What is the most dangerous part of the state, the bus stop at Colfax and Peoria?