Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    worth trying to re-heat in water bath, and apply a "C" clamp to the side cuff bolts, and tighten it up 2cm narrower. Then cool in this position

I have had it help a bit with some boots and some people.

might have to re-do it with more pressure, but go 1cm more per time and see how that feels/skis

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    worth trying to re-heat in water bath, and apply a "C" clamp to the side cuff bolts, and tighten it up 2cm narrower. Then cool in this position

I have had it help a bit with some boots and some people.

might have to re-do it with more pressure, but go 1cm more per time and see how that feels/skis
    thanks. probably better than my idea of a ratchet strap around the whole ankle.

quick quench cool, or slow cool?

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    thanks. probably better than my idea of a ratchet strap around the whole ankle.

quick quench cool, or slow cool?
    I have tried both cooling, race shells (plug boots) seem to take a quick cold better? normal shells doesn't matter that much. No hard in packing snow all around it after heating/clamping, but if that doesn't hold well, try the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    it ain't comfortable, but with a race (4-8mm) shell fit, I can reduce my boot fitting work by 50-80%

I like "dark and interesting" for beer
    That's how I like my women...I guess I'll try it with beer.

Unfortunately I am in Austria at the moment where the beer or women are neither.

Just curious, if you did all that without the thick sock, could you actually decrease shell volume a little? I am loving my new boots, but they are almost too comfortable, and could become a little too loose when the liners pack out.

She'll fit is generous...not too big, but borderline. Four days on them so far, and love the fit. It is nice not having to to open buckle between runs. Heel is staying in place and I don't feel like I am swimming in the boot, but to be this comfortable out of the box worries me a little. Most importantly, my toes are happy even after on long. Is something wrong? Shouldn't I have black toe nails by now?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    That's how I like my women...I guess I'll try it with beer.

Unfortunately I am in Austria at the moment where the beer or women are neither.

Just curious, if you did all that without the thick sock, could you actually decrease shell volume a little? I am loving my new boots, but they are almost too comfortable, and could become a little too loose when the liners pack out.

She'll fit is generous...not too big, but borderline. Four days on them so far, and love the fit. It is nice not having to to open buckle between runs. Heel is staying in place and I don't feel like I am swimming in the boot, but to be this comfortable out of the box worries me a little. Most importantly, my toes are happy even after on long. Is something wrong? Shouldn't I have black toe nails by now?
    the liner heating just speeds up what WILL happen ANYWAYS to a boot, and no heating, or heating with a thin sock will not reverse this.

If the boot starts to feel too big, skiing with a thicker sock might help, or a thicker footbed (or an extra one/shim below the one you are using) but if your foot is not moving, and you have the control you want, just enjoy it

Bump

I need to tweak shells of old sx91s. Am heeling broken pinky toe (4 weeks into heeling). I got the boots specifically tk use while the toenis heeling. Boots at ball of foot are a little tight at the knuckles/bone break. I can't do the uncomfortable hot water thing because it'll make my foot worst. What are other ideas or methods? I have a dremel.

The boots were bought for a song at a garage sale and I'm only planning on skiing with my grubs on greens and easy blues at the hill.

I also have some older thermo liners (garmont) kicking around.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 02-10-2018 at 03:13 AM.

bump and a stupid question on this. If it's buried in another thread, I can't find it...I searched jong

knowing that:

-you get a better liner-mold from all-over heat like in a convection oven (vs the rice method)
    -there's some value to shell molding for all shells - more value for shells where the plastics used are designed for it
    -the trickiest part of the oven technique is getting the hot liner into the shell without getting buckles/wrinkles/etc

Why would it not work to just keep the liner in the shell, whole thing in the oven at 250, fan on, pull it when it's gooey, finish as per usual?

That way you'd have the liner fully softened, and the shell partially softened (my assumption is that 250 as a max temp, decreasing as they sit in there, isn't going to drastically deform the shell but maybe I am wrong?). And when you buckle down, you're getting it all to form/set together as a unit.

I think there is something really obvious that I'm missing. What is it?

I would assume the liner/shell interface wouldn’t heat as evenly, they would insulate each other and you’d have some cool spots. Also totally depends on your boot model, but IME the timing and bake temp is different for shells and liners?

I did my XTD Hawx in the oven, but wanted the shells to move more so I only did rice bags in the liners. Came out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    I would assume the liner/shell interface wouldn’t heat as evenly, they would insulate each other and you’d have some cool spots. Also totally depends on your boot model, but IME the timing and bake temp is different for shells and liners?

I did my XTD Hawx in the oven, but wanted the shells to move more so I only did rice bags in the liners. Came out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    yeah I would assume the shells would be 'undercooked'.

But for someone who is mostly in it for the liner bake, and just getting a side order of slight shell bake, that would be OK...

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Why would it not work to just keep the liner in the shell, whole thing in the oven at 250, fan on, pull it when it's gooey, finish as per usual?
    It works OK with a very thin shell (Atomic recommends this with the Backland Series boots) but with most shells of traditional thickness you will probably overcook the liner interior before the shell is ready to move. You would then have even more chance of the heel pulling the liner down into the boot and causing a wrinkle. Also, most manufacturers recommend doing the shell separately (cold liner) to get the most movement out of the shell (firmer foam).

Actually most OEM liners go in with little effort; it's medium and high volume Intuitions in performance shell fits where you run into problems. That's when it helps if your bootfitter knows the "tricks" - when to tape the footbed to your foot/use plastic bags as a lubricating medium/spray with silicone spray/employ a helper, etc.

Dont forget about the o’le thera-cane to shove the liner in easy