Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New video; feel the true vibe of the northwest B.C. ski community of Shames Mountain.

So stoked with this recently released vid. Me and Garyfromterrace's home base. Beyond the humble appreciation of the obviously epic skiing just outside the Shames ski hill ropes...proud to be a terracite with rupert roots in the largely untouched wilderness where there ain't a starbucks on every corner. Great peeps, great towns, great hill.

Enjoy. Come visit.

Master of mediocrity.

Cool little vid.

So want to visit the area again. Maybe next year when the ladies do their annual beach vacation migration again. And a good excuse to break the 100mm width restriction in the quiver

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Cool little vid.

So want to visit the area again. Maybe next year when the ladies do their annual beach vacation migration again. And a good excuse to break the 100mm width restriction in the quiver
    lol, well, if yer in need I have fatties to lend. 116 to 132mm underfoot. armada jj 1.0 185, K2 darkside 174, volkl 2 185, volkl kuro 185. dynafit binders, bsl 290-310ish
    Master of mediocrity.

Ha! Thanks for the offer! But my BSL is 330ish - all my bindings are broken but I do have shims for the pins. Besides, you wouldn't want to deny me the pleasure of attempting to convince my wife my quiver is incomplete!
    Seriously, I'm putting in the beach time this year, so that should leave me a couple of seasons of bachelor storm chasing. Was going to make the pilgrimage last year but the snow up there just wasn't cooperating last season. A return to PK, Murray Ridge, HBM is overdue, and now Shames is up and running. If family wasn't all based in the south, I'd move back to Smithers in a heartbeat.

[QUOTE=swissiphic;5224355]

Enjoy. Come visit.
    QUOTE]

Very nice, you have a very special place!

Hopefully I will!

Little piece of heaven right there.

Really enjoyed that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thank you for the video. My favorite part of the world...love me some Terrace. Took a drive up the Shames Valley one time to see your ski hill in the off season. It's a pretty spectacular place.

I'm always there in the summer...I need to get up there in the winter at some point.

"Sorry

Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here."

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    hit the blue Vimeo button

thanks,

SMRT

its pre-coffee

I really enjoyed that.

not the red button please or coffee will be served below ground

Wouldn't mind calling myself a Terracite - nicely done - simple really IS better

GofT... when will you be home and what's the frig missing?
    ​I am not in your hurry

Hey Gepeto! Plan is back for good within 3 years. Hopefully sooner. Unfortunately nothing booked for this season, next season hoping to get back for at least a week or 2.

Thanks. That was excellent.

Curious how would someone get there if they were to make a visit in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Thanks. That was excellent.

Curious how would someone get there if they were to make a visit in the winter?
    Flights from Vancouver, BC right into Terrace.

Foregoing our semi annual trip to Rogers for Shames this year, been on our bucket list for years. Just booked the airfare. We'll be there Feb 17-23, 2019. So incredibly psyched to finally make this happen.

you only booked 6 days but depending on conditions the Hankin Evelyn & HBM are only 2 hrs east
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Heaven on Earth. I've spent some time up that way in the Fall, looks like I should make a winter trip happen. Cool to recognize some faces in that short. Well done.

Such a great video. Thinking more about moving out that way....

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you only booked 6 days but depending on conditions the Hankin Evelyn & HBM are only 2 hrs east
    I read about the Hankin Evelyn a while back and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. Any additional thoughts on Shames or the Hankin Evelyn would be much appreciated. With really only 5 days of touring we want to nail it.

2 Thumbs up.

Thanks

That epitomizes what skiing should be about.

Shareable link https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/201...mountain-coop/

First Nations radio, your nation your station, I thot Wild William Wesley would be younger

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog102395 View Post
    I read about the Hankin Evelyn a while back and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. Any additional thoughts on Shames or the Hankin Evelyn would be much appreciated. With really only 5 days of touring we want to nail it.
    I've put up a few ideas for tours around there. Google will get you the results. John Baldwin's Coast Ski Touring guidebook has some suggested tours also and also has a map for the Shames area. You can easily get all 5 days just by basing out of Terrace.

If you don't have accommodations booked already try the Skeena River Lodge - the owners Brad and Kim can fill you in on route and map suggestions https://www.skeenariverhouse.com/about

I'm seeing HS of almost 4m + at alpine reported by Northern Escape Heli so the season is pretty much rocking already

" The room, which acts as the unofficial gathering place of the B+B, features a fireplace, a bar, a pool table, a large dining room table and a view that rivals the one from the deck. "

skeena river house ^^ is a pretty awesume place to hang out, good food and very cosy

if you are lookin to go cheapest there is a cheap motel closer to shames