Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Lol sorry , fat thumb speed typing on phone. Limited Internet connection, didn't spell check before posting.
    Not sure it was your spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    The people caught and killed in the CA mudslide had mandatory evacs in place. People need to make better decisions.
    Not true, some of those killed were in Voluntary zones. Decisions still in error

Maybe some rum, I guess I captured the general confusion we felt.

I finally got an iceman response #fistpump

Now just need SFB translation...

Cracks me up hearing of so many hiding under desks and stuff. Cuz a desk will TOTALLY protect you when getting nuked. Reminds me of the silly cold war era grade school training films.

Sent from my Moto G Play using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Tulsa Gabbard is hot. For a politician.
    And you're a fucking creep.

Hawaii: Nuke is on its way! Psych!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Tulsa Gabbard is hot. For a politician.
    I thought she was hot until I heard her blame Trump for not reaching out to kim jr. and settling this.

Are people born this stupid or are they taught it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    And you're a fucking creep.
    Why, yes I am. You don't even know.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    ^^WTF is that? It's less readable than an sfb post
    Alaskan Pidgin?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Cracks me up hearing of so many hiding under desks and stuff. Cuz a desk will TOTALLY protect you when getting nuked. Reminds me of the silly cold war era grade school training films.

Sent from my Moto G Play using TGR Forums mobile app
    They were silly? Made sense to me at the time.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Everyone laughs at Duck and Cover... BUT IT HELPS

The truth is that getting people to duck and cover (or at least stay away from windows) prevents blast and shrapnel injuries and also reduces burns and flash blindness.

WHY? Don't we all just get vaporized?

No, nukes kill by heat (thermal pulse), blast (crushes houses, throws people, shrapnel), and radiation (prompt radiation during the blast, only kills people very close to ground zero). On the radiation note, ground bursts create a lot, but drastically reduce the effectiveness for destroying a city. Air bursts are more efficient at killing cities but make very little fallout.

Like lightening, it takes time for the blast to arrive after the flash, giving people precious seconds to take cover. If you have a 5 or 10 minutes warning, you really can eliminate a lot of casualties and deaths!

Preventing blast/shrapnel injury

The blast from a 250KT North Korean nuke would crush wood framed houses over a 24sqmi area... but it might not fully destroy any reinforced concrete buildings, meaning those who take duck and cover while inside would not be burned or blasted.

In a ring around that 24sqmi area, wood frame houses survive but the blast will blow out windows over 130sqmi without destroying the structure, not to mention throwing shrapnel and people caught standing outside. If people naturally go to the window to see what that bright light is, they get face/eyes full of broken glass where they would have experienced minor or no injuries if they ducked/covered.

Real Life Example

In the 1998 Nairobi US Embassy bombing, the terrorists set off a small hand grenade a few moments before detonating a truck bomb. Everyone in the surrounding downtown office buildings came to their windows to see what the noise was. When the truck bomb went off, several thousand of people took glass to the face.

Burn Prevention

The thermal pulse that causes burns is delivered not instantaneously, but over many seconds in these larger nukes and is capable of causing 3rd degree burns to exposed skin over 53sqmi in this example, distances far beyond the radius where the blast is crushing houses. Hitting the deck, even behind a curb gutter, behind a car, behind a fence or building can cut exposure to the thermal pulse and reduce what would have been a 3rd degree burn to nothing, plus offering shielding from shrapnel.

Minor Injury Reductions = Many Lives Saved

When you consider the overwhelming casualties created by a bomb, reducing these types of injuries is incredibly important to an individual would find their normally survivable burns or penetrating wounds potentially deadly when the healthcare system is overwhelmed, in triage mode, and provide antibiotics. A sub-fatal doses of radiation combined with moderate injuries could be fatal in concert: the first system to be affected by low doses is the hematopoietic system so immune response suffers and folks die of sepsis from otherwise survivable injuries/radiation doses. It is better not to have those infection causing wounds!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^^

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

The truth is that getting people to duck and cover (or at least stay away from windows) prevents blast and shrapnel injuries and also reduces burns and flash blindness.

No, nukes kill by heat (thermal pulse), blast (crushes houses, throws people, shrapnel), and radiation (prompt radiation during the blast, only kills people very close to ground zero). On the radiation note, ground bursts create a lot, but drastically reduce the effectiveness for destroying a city. Air bursts are more efficient at killing cities but make very little fallout.

Like lightening, it takes time for the blast to arrive after the flash, giving people precious seconds to take cover. If you have a 5 or 10 minutes warning, you really can eliminate a lot of casualties and deaths!

The blast from a 250KT North Korean nuke would crush wood framed houses over a 24sqmi area... but it might not fully destroy any reinforced concrete buildings, meaning those who take duck and cover while inside would not be burned or blasted.

In a ring around that 24sqmi area, wood frame houses survive but the blast will blow out windows over 130sqmi without destroying the structure, not to mention throwing shrapnel and people caught standing outside. If people naturally go to the window to see what that bright light is, they get face/eyes full of broken glass where they would have experienced minor or no injuries if they ducked/covered.

Real Life Example

In the 1998 Nairobi US Embassy bombing, the terrorists set off a small hand grenade a few moments before detonating a truck bomb. Everyone in the surrounding downtown office buildings came to their windows to see what the noise was. When the truck bomb went off, several thousand of people took glass to the face.

Burn Prevention

The thermal pulse that causes burns is delivered not instantaneously, but over many seconds in these larger nukes and is capable of causing 3rd degree burns to exposed skin over 53sqmi in this example, distances far beyond the radius where the blast is crushing houses. Hitting the deck, even behind a curb gutter, behind a car, behind a fence or building can cut exposure to the thermal pulse and reduce what would have been a 3rd degree burn to nothing, plus offering shielding from shrapnel.

When you consider the overwhelming casualties created by a bomb, reducing these types of injuries is incredibly important to an individual would find their normally survivable burns or penetrating wounds potentially deadly when the healthcare system is overwhelmed, in triage mode, and provide antibiotics. A sub-fatal doses of radiation combined with moderate injuries could be fatal in concert: the first system to be affected by low doses is the hematopoietic system so immune response suffers and folks die of sepsis from otherwise survivable injuries/radiation doses. It is better not to have those infection causing wounds!
    Ok, ok. Great points. Still makes me chuckle though. I can just picture little Timmy hiding underneath his desk and then whoooosh:

One in eight chance over 150+ miles of length and prevailing trades.
    Plus likely only gonna be one nuke. Fuck it.
    Mo' betta you go poke squid, brah.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Lol sorry , fat thumb speed typing on phone. Limited Internet connection, didn't spell check before posting.
    Ahhh... isn't this how the whole charade got started?
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Like lightening, it takes time for the blast to arrive
    Anyone that spells ‘lightning’ this way has diminished credibility.

While lightening the dark shade of gray the island had attained since the nuclear attack, the ad photo and it's accompanying text failed to mention it's appeal was still limited by the horrendous amount of radiation that killed everything there.

Real Life Example

Burn Prevention

Whatever was I worried about?

Sounds like a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Whatever was I worried about?

Sounds like a walk in the park.
    I'm not trying to minimize it. A single Atomic attack on the US would be the deadliest day and the worst disaster in US history. A couple of bombs could kill more than all the wars and all of our history put together. Horrific stuff! That doesn't mean we can't talk about the small things we can do to lessen casualties if the unthinkable occurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Hawaii: Nuke is on its way! Psych!

Surprisingly, If you are outside of the Initial blast area, can find 4 ft of earth, or two feet of concrete cover, and can stay their for a 1-2 weeks (i forget exactly), 99% of the gamma radiation in the fallout burns itself off.

Obviously a lot more variables like rain etc. but it doable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm not trying to minimize it. A single Atomic attack on the US would be the deadliest day and the worst disaster in US history. A couple of bombs could kill more than all the wars and all of our history put together. Horrific stuff! That doesn't mean we can't talk about the small things we can do to lessen casualties if the unthinkable occurs.
    I hope the forum has a contingency plan. I don't want to miss out on any gear swap deals.

Lil rocket man hasn't proven he can hit the broadside of a barn. Much less a tiny island thousands of miles away.

Is it time to get into the bomb shelter building business in Maui? Hmmmmm..... There's gotta be an opportunity to take advantage of this somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    I hope the forum has a contingency plan. I don't want to miss out on any gear swap deals.
    WTB - Jibby Fallout Skis
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...