Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slightly Fatter Hoji?

What should I be looking for? It's my daily driver and pretty much my favorite ski but I'm sometimes left thinking something a little bit fatter would be nice. I'd prefer it be something that I have a chance of finding used since it's not coming out too often.

renegade?

EHP.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    renegade?
    This.

Dynafit Hokkaido, find someone who bought them super cheap from evo and decided they have too many skis . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    renegade?
    Literally the answer. Hoji even said so fer chrissake

I've been looking for a fatter hoji too
    the renegades seem to be the answer except they don't make them in the 179
    skid luxury

Praxis RX
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Literally the answer. Hoji even said so fer chrissake
    It is probably the closest shape, but I do recall Hoji saying during the blister interview that the raven and the ren were more closesly related and that the hoji had a different feel from the ren. I've only skied the raven and ren, so can't comment on the hoji.

Slightly Fatter Hoji?

The ren is definitely stiffer and results in being more demanding to ski, but they have the same feel. I’ve AB’d 187 hoji against my 196 rens. Results weren’t too surprising. 186 Ren flexes stiffer than 196 ren so 186 should AB similarly

Slightly Fatter Hoji?

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    EHP.
    Also this. I love the EHP as a pow ski, i have two pairs and I’ll never get rid of them. I don’t think I’m alone with that. But I think the newer designs are more versatile and intuitive on hard/groomed. None are great on ice (duh), but the EHP is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    But I think the newer designs are more versatile and intuitive on hard/groomed. None are great on ice (duh), but the EHP is worse.
    Not if you don't turn.

Not if you don't turn.
    Can’t turn in the air , swish

I have ravens and rens. Used to have hojis. Raven and ten are definitely more similar, and different from hoji. But there still all the same ballpark and if you like one you’ll like the others. Rens are insanely good, but want you to be engaged 100%. Hojis are similar but a bit mellower. Ravens feel like skinny rens, and float above their width. Great skis, but I occasionally miss having camber skiing resort on hard days on them.
    Enjoy.

I’ll probably add another pair of hojis again someday. They’re especially good when I’m feeling a bit lazy.

Another fatter option that you might want to look at is BMT 122. Less demanding than rens. Also less awesome.

186 volkl one, or Now The volkl Bash is a bit wider and full rocker. Not Everyone likes it and seems to think that it's soft, but once you learn to ski it you can ski most anything on it and use it as a daily driver.

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Slightly Fatter Hoji?

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    186 volkl one, or Now The volkl Bash is a bit wider and full rocker. Not Everyone likes it and seems to think that it's soft, but once you learn to ski it you can ski most anything on it and use it as a daily driver.

Yes, I Should have remembered this- I really like that ski, it’s more versatile and has a similar frictionless feel in powder, albeit less frictionless. The pair I used was mounted at least 2-3CM in front of recommended

I had a pair of mounted on the line and it took me awhile to learn to ski them but after I got used to it I could ski them in any condition. As long as it's not ice it will even carve a long turn. And once you get used to the balance point you can just sort of hydroplane over chop. I just sold a pair just because I buy and sell a lot of skis but I will definitely buy a new pair of the Bashes

Not if you don't turn.
    Actually, it's that's not true. I can rip sweet DH/Super G turns on the EHP on groomed, hardpack, and ice.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post

What about the volkl 2? Haven't skied the hoji or the 1 but own the 185cms two. Bought some 185cms two used this past fall; mounted at plus 1 and bent more rocker into the tip/shovel.

In factory form, skis felt planky and threw me in backseat with all mount points from minus 1 to plus 3 (adjustable mount point bindings) The subtle tip to tail reverse camber with flat section underfoot just didn't have enough tip splay and the rocker contact point was too far forward for a tip to tail balanced feel in true deep pow conditions, imo.

Eyeballed then shaped in a rocker line about 12-14 inches back from the tip (haven't measured). Over the years of experimentation with modding other skis bending various rocker shapes into other skis, I've noticed that pulling back the rocker splay line in the shovels often alleviates a 'throws me into the back seat' feel of skis...even ones with existing tip rocker...that's for me anyways, YRMV.

With the custom tip rocker mod, skis now feel very balanced tip to tail and float like dream boats. Super loose/slarvy and fun in all soft snow pow i've skied. Had a few days on true bulletproof refrozen train tracks and truck ruts doing workout laps on a logging road. They were okay but a bit chattery on steeps. Did some aggressive detuning of full length of edges and cured that ailment. Skied some deep coastal wet crap chop and groomers and these puppies slayed it all with lots of stability and damping.

Stoked on the 2. They're heavy on paper but ski surprisingly lighter than their 2600gram per ski wegiht would suggest. I'm doing full day tours on em and really don't notice their mass while striding along..thought the toll is noticeable incrementally as long days wear on. The long sidecut radius and flat section underfoot make em track really well for uphilling in variable snow and steep sidehilling. With the extra tip rocker, great float for breaking trail.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 01-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

IMO the volkl one and two are very different skis to a hoji.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    IMO the volkl one and two are very different skis to a hoji.
    Having yet to ski the Hoji (but really want to) in yer opinion, how do they differ in handling/ski feel?
    Master of mediocrity.

^ive skied the Ren, Hoji, One and EHP, I’ll play.

186 Ones I skied were mounted at +4, -6 from true center. Ski from center or drive the tips. Most versatile ski of the bunch, was the easiest for me to get the hang of but also the last pair I tried of the 4 set. These and the hojis are the only skis I would consider DDing of the bunch. Maybe the One skis more like a fatter, lighter and more pow specific Devastator, as it has similar but more sharp rocker lines and more taper. The shape is kind of blend between the Hoji and Dev, but instead of being as straight as the Hoji, it has some side cut and a ton of tip and tail taper.

187 Hoji- respond to ski from center, more fun in powder than the one - more frictionless feeling, more apt to porpoise in and out of turns- they are straighter. Not sure which has more float, they both float a lot for their width IMO. Less versatile and not as good at Maching thru crud IIRC, the one is surprisingly good at that. I think they’re stiffer than the Ones, if I remember correctly.

196 RENs- I think the stiffer flex profile can lead to the rocking horse fore-aft learning curve on these ones, particularly in crud, where I prefer these skis the least of the 3. Didn’t notice that as much on the skis above, didn’t notice that at all on the Ones. In powder, The Rens haul ass, come to life at high speeds, basically everything that’s been said on the boards here. They’re more demanding, game on, and reward me with skiing powder faster than I ever have before. Funny enough, I don’t think they float any better than the Ones until you get going fast. But the One was engineered more to stay on top of the snow, Hjorliefson’s skis have always been porpoise in and out of powder (sometimes tips dive) until you’re going so fast you’re on top of the powder.

Feel free to ask on EHP if that rings any interest

"Hjorliefson’s skis have always been porpoise in and out of powder (sometimes tips dive) until you’re going so fast you’re on top of the powder."

hmmmm, well if the tip dive is a tendency of the ski in certain snowpack conditions (I've read about it in other reports) then why not just bend more rocker into the tip/and/or pull back the rocker/splay contact point?

Wish i had a junker pair to experiment with.

If any mags have a broken down junker pair and wanna donate to the cause, i'll gladly give 'er a go and report back and even send the skis back apres modification if the mods work.
    Master of mediocrity.

EHP.
    2nd this. Skied my EHP more than my brand new HOJI (soon to be for sale)