Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ^ive never owned the Hoji because I think the EHP is magic in powder. For Better or worse, that ski is why I’ve never lusted over a Billygoat

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    "Hjorliefson’s skis have always been porpoise in and out of powder (sometimes tips dive) until you’re going so fast you’re on top of the powder."

hmmmm, well if the tip dive is a tendency of the ski in certain snowpack conditions (I've read about it in other reports) then why not just bend more rocker into the tip/and/or pull back the rocker/splay contact point?

Wish i had a junker pair to experiment with.

If any mags have a broken down junker pair and wanna donate to the cause, i'll gladly give 'er a go and report back and even send the skis back apres modification if the mods work.
    the rocker profile has been changed/improved in the various iterations throughout the years - I think the Blister Hoji podcast confirmed that his signature skis have changed subtly throughout the years, beyond just the use of different materials. Hoji seemed to indicate that he feels the shape is very dialed / in some ways intended to be that way for what he looks for in a ski- he likened the Renegade to a sports car. his skis are polarizing

Concrete, you're a Bridger skier, right?

Take all this with a grain of salt because I'm a serious lightweight but for me, the EHP never lived up to its potential at Bridger compared to the really big. In any sort of consistent snow with room to run the EHP shines, a super fun ski for those conditions. But at Bridger where things like icy moguls are often navigated to a tight line that runs out into chop or more moguls, the EHP felt like an unwieldy plank. I never got along with the EHP's balance point in inconsistent snow at slower speeds. I've never spent any time on a renegade for the same reason bbear mentions upthread but from reading around here it seems like the EHP/ren are closer in pedigree than the Hoji/ren. I demoed a pair of 179 Hoji that were more maneuverable and easier to ski than my 179 EHP.

I was always interested in the Chugach/Hokkaido due to their resemblances to the Hoji lineup but ended up with a pair of OG bodacious and haven't looked back.
    Last edited by ghosthop; 01-15-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    .... but ended up with a pair of OG bodacious and haven't looked back.
    attaboy

Slightly Fatter Hoji?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Concrete, you're a Bridger skier, right?

Take all this with a grain of salt because I'm a serious lightweight but for me, the EHP never lived up to its potential at Bridger compared to the really big. In any sort of consistent snow with room to run the EHP shines, a super fun ski for those conditions. But at Bridger where things like icy moguls are often navigated to a tight line that runs out into chop or more moguls, the EHP felt like an unwieldy plank. I never got along with the EHP's balance point in inconsistent snow at slower speeds. I've never spent any time on a renegade for the same reason bbear mentions upthread but from reading around here it seems like the EHP/ren are closer in pedigree than the Hoji/ren. I demoed a pair of 179 Hoji that were more maneuverable and easier to ski than my 179 EHP.

I was always interested in the Chugach/Hokkaido due to their resemblances to the Hoji lineup but ended up with a pair of OG bodacious and haven't looked back.
    7-8 years ago, I loaned my pair of 186 ehps to a buddy who was a dynastar/stockli-type-guy. I don’t think he had ever tried that pow-specific a shape. We were skiing an EC groomer til the trees opened up lower down the trail. On his first ‘turn,’ He spun 540-720ish until he eventually wiped out.

I’ve figured out how to survive/get by/ ‘enjoy’ these conditions on the EHP, but I have no doubt it’s hard snow performance is why it was replaced.

The key with the EHP on hardpack is to just go faster.

If you want to wiggle down the mountain, then the EHP is not for you. They are not tip-and-turn dentist skis.

Huge sweeping DH and super G turns, so you get back to the lift fast, and get back to the powder faster...EHP.

Plus they are suprisingly good in moguls, and expectedly good in mank, chop, crust, etc.

Peeled the plastic and mounted up my last backup pair yesterday evening. My daily driver at the Horse, Revy, Lake. These are my 3rd pair of 193s as a daily driver beginning with the 2009 Pilsner edition. I'm 5'11" / 180-185 with 25.5 Lange 130's (RX and Freetour).

Also have a couple pair of 186 EHPs, one for touring and one for jibbing and arcing around on the lower mountain on days with the wifey.

I also recently got a pair of old/new 189 4Frnt Turbo's (108mm) for a rock ski/early season twin (also a ski for Sunshine/Fernie and other places that don't have the sustained fall line of the Horse or Revy), in the name of preserving the base condition of few EHPs I have left.

I've skied Bridger. The EHP is a great Bridger ski.

If the EHP doesn't work for you, then sticking with your Hoji's, but bumping up in length, might be a better choice.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 01-15-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah, Bridger. How much shorter does the Bodacious ski with the twin tip since it's a 185/193 choice and I don't ever ski switch and like the flat tail on the Hoji? I'm on the 187 Hoji and I don't think going up in length is going to be a great idea for me given what I ski, which is decidedly not gnar. From what I've been able to gather about the Ren they don't seem as easy to ski or as forgiving as the Hoji (as per b-bear and ghosthop upthread).

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep an eye out for the skis mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Yeah, Bridger. How much shorter does the Bodacious ski with the twin tip since it's a 185/193 choice and I don't ever ski switch and like the flat tail on the Hoji? I'm on the 187 Hoji and I don't think going up in length is going to be a great idea for me given what I ski, which is decidedly not gnar. From what I've been able to gather about the Ren they don't seem as easy to ski or as forgiving as the Hoji (as per b-bear and ghosthop upthread).

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep an eye out for the skis mentioned.
    Well I have the 16/17 HOJI in 195 and it looks/feels short to me, very squirrel like. My 193 EHP look/feel longer... I don't like the new Hoji, my old HOJI feel longer then my new ones.

That’s weird. Are they mounted further forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    That’s weird. Are they mounted further forward?
    I mounted the old hoji and new hoji in the exact same measurement. ( not drunk or High ) How ever the Old hoji have a Guardian touring bindings on them. But are mounted with the boot center in the same place.

I’ve never heard that before. I know they’ve been tweaked but I don’t think they’ve been changed so much that you would notice visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’ve never heard that before. I know they’ve been tweaked but I don’t think they’ve been changed so much that you would notice visually.
    wonder if it's just my dumb brains and the graphic but they do ski way different to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    wonder if it's just my dumb brains and the graphic but they do ski way different to me.
    Maybe the new one has a bad tune?

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    The key with the EHP on hardpack is to just go faster.

If you want to wiggle down the mountain, then the EHP is not for you. They are not tip-and-turn dentist skis.

Huge sweeping DH and super G turns, so you get back to the lift fast, and get back to the powder faster...EHP.

Plus they are suprisingly good in moguls, and expectedly good in mank, chop, crust, etc.

Peeled the plastic and mounted up my last backup pair yesterday evening. My daily driver at the Horse, Revy, Lake. These are my 3rd pair of 193s as a daily driver beginning with the 2009 Pilsner edition. I'm 5'11" / 180-185 with 25.5 Lange 130's (RX and Freetour).

Also have a couple pair of 186 EHPs, one for touring and one for jibbing and arcing around on the lower mountain on days with the wifey.

I also recently got a pair of old/new 189 4Frnt Turbo's (108mm) for a rock ski/early season twin (also a ski for Sunshine/Fernie and other places that don't have the sustained fall line of the Horse or Revy), in the name of preserving the base condition of few EHPs I have left.

I've skied Bridger. The EHP is a great Bridger ski.

If the EHP doesn't work for you, then sticking with your Hoji's, but bumping up in length, might be a better choice.
    I am always on the lookout for a pair of Turbos, that’s sweet.

I agree with everything you said, I just wouldn’t recommend the EHP to someone I’ve never skied with, without mentioning there is a learning curve on hard pack - at least when compared to dentite offerings

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Maybe the new one has a bad tune?
    Anything is possible. I'm not super tech-nerd about skis, I just like to ski. I can pull out my 195 Hart mogul skis and have fun :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    Anything is possible. I'm not super tech-nerd about skis, I just like to ski. I can pull out my 195 Hart mogul skis and have fun :-P
    If I were in your shoes I'd check to see if the bases are flat. If they're not that could explain your problems with the skis.

Agree. My ravens came with railed bases. After a full time they lost the hooky feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I am always on the lookout for a pair of Turbos, that’s sweet.

I agree with everything you said, I just wouldn’t recommend the EHP to someone I’ve never skied with, without mentioning there is a learning curve on hard pack - at least when compared to dentite offerings
    Yup. CaucasianAsian hooked me up with the turbos. He rules.

And I agree with you, there is a definite learning curve with the EHPs on hard pack.

Yup. CaucasianAsian hooked me up with the turbos. He rules.

And I agree with you, there is a definite learning curve with the EHPs on hard pack.
    That was you- great score.

We should start the ofishul 4Frnt thread

... dentite offerings
    hahaha

For what it's worth...I wish I skied like a slightly fatter Hoji.

Slightly Fatter Hoji?

^lol

Reckless Tobo- curious, is that your fattest ski? If not what is?

^lol

Reckless Tobo- curious, is that your fattest ski? If not what is?
    Renegade (122).

Renegade (122).
    Well of course - me 2