Weekend in/near Denver...WWMD?

So a late minute decision has been made to get the hell out of pilot training here in Oklahoma and head west to Denver for the holiday weekend. A group of us have already made plans to do some whitewater rafting Saturday down on the Royal Gorges river. We'll have Friday afternoon, Sunday, and Monday morning to unwind. Are there any good concerts going on, or what sort of must see things are there to do in central Colorado? Is Rocky Mountain National Park worth seeing? Any good short climbs or scrambles in the area? I'm homesick for my Cascades so any cool alpine lakes or climbs would be nice for Sunday. Plus, some of the east coast kids would like to drive to a 14'er.

I've only seen Colorado in the winter, so any advice would be appreciated. Some good bars would also be cool for Friday or Sunday night.

Thanks.

Friday night Gov't Mule, Kotke-Gordon and Xavier Rudd at Red Rocks. A hangover always makes the Royal Gorge more... interesting.

Avoid the National Park this weekend. It'll be a clusterfuk. On the other hand the Great Sand Dunes are a lot of fun and won't draw the same crowds.

Maybe head up to Boulder and mess around on the Flatirons or up Boulder Canyon. After rafting, you could explore the Arkansas Valley, check out the beer festival in Salida and camp out somewhere in the hills. Or camp out on Independence Pass and hit an insano step up booter.

Too many options, honestly.

Oh yeah... You can drive to the top of Pikes Peak or Mount Evans. Be sure to take a small bottle of Jack Daniels, do a shot and then try running a few feet. At 14,000' it's a similar sensation as a hit of nitrous.
    Last edited by Pinner; 06-30-2005 at 01:35 PM.

Drivable 14ers

Mount Evans (exit in Idaho Springs, up I70 - alpine lake available)
    Pikes Peak (Colorado Springs)
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner
    Or camp out on Independence Pass and hit an insano step up booter.
    Sorry, but there is no evidence of a booter. We are still pondering.

thanks.

heh.

May as well stay in Oklahoma.

Be sure to check out the Super Max while you are in Canyon City. Seriously, I would get out of that area after rafting the Gorge on Saturday, too many well armed off-duty prison guards for my taste. The bridge is possibly the state's biggest tourist trap.
    As Pinner said, Salida could be fun and then you can head north towards Leadville. From that area you have options to go to Aspen, Vail, Breck, or back towards Denver. I think there are concerts all weekend long at Red Rocks with the traditional Blues Traveler show on the 4th. They may suck these days but the top of Red Rocks may be the best place in the world to watch 4th of July fireworks. Also, the Rockies are at home on the 4th.
    You have tons of options, just be aware that there will be lots of cops on the roads (with DUI roadblocks in mountain towns) and it will take you about 25% longer then usual to get anywhere in the mountains this weekend. Camping is also going to be tough with most of the regular campgrounds full, so leave yourself some daylight in case you have to hunt for a spot to sleep.
    I would actually suggest getting a copy of the Denver Post on Friday and checking out their weekend section, they usually have a basic rundown on what's going on around the state.

and do realize you are going to sunburn the shit out of your flatland skin.