Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Sure, Taos has its fair share of Texans but we embrace them with open arms. Help them put boots on, click into skis, and stop them while they flail down Al's or Main Street. They're visits make it possible to ski bum here.

And with 11" season snowfall we're becoming the best MTBers.

Which Resort has the Best/Worst Average Skier?

People are confusing best terrain, with highest average talent.

Whistler arguably has the best terrain in NA. But it’s also logging 25K skier/days, with a large portion from the pacific rim.

Aspen Mt’s biggest day year to date, was 4,200.
    I’ve skied all the big names being bandied about.
    I’d also put Telluride and Sun Valley above all of those, for most of the reasons I’ve mentioned.

I'm not going to comment on best, but I'll tell you it isn't Squaw Valley.

As for worst, I'd like to nominate Winterplace, WV. Tiny hill, mostly manmade snow, and a destination for skiers across the SE as their ops are some of the most reliable south of the Mason-Dixon ride. More skiers on rental equipment wearing jeans and a sweatshirt than not. Joke of a terrain park as their park crew are just instructors. Lots of tour buses... Sometimes more than cars

A lot of great answers in here, regarding crowds, terrain, presence of ski schools, nearby population centers, etc.

I liked Shredhead's point with the town of Aspen. Committed rippers want to have a place for living and good jobs, so they'll gravitate to places like there. Having been to Jackson Hole, I can also see the points made about being in remote locations. A good deterrence out the weak ones. Is Snowbird's advertising really that bad with rope holds on pow days just for the shots?

Makes me wonder then, which places have the greatest disparity in skill level? Terrain? Attitude of the jaded locals?

Personally I'd argue that some of the hills in Northern Rockies has some of the biggest differences in skill. Yes, you get farmers who barely ski, and yes you also get ranchers who are half drunk all the time. But being at hills like Disco and LT on a powder day really brings the talent out of the woodwork.

If any thread would get Hugh out of lurk mode, I would think this would be the one.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I’ve spent only 10 skiing WB. I did some excellent skiers, but mostly wealthy Texans and Mexicans wedging their way all over the place on the green runs off of every single lift.
    I wouldn't now, I spent most of the time in the high alpine, away from greens. Going to the Village was always a slalom of gapers.

I'd bet the relative talent level was pretty low no matter where you were today. Busiest day of the year at Snowbird today, 210 parked from entry 1 to entry 4. Skill level, low.

To figure out the ratio by including all skiers on the mountain is an impossible and dumb question. If you just want to say who has the best skiers, certainly W/B, Squaw, Alta, Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Crested Butte, and Bridger have an amazing amount of good rippers. There's also Fernie, Revie, Taos, Crystal, Telluride, and probably a bunch of other ones I haven't been too,

If you factor in every skier on the mountain, you could argue Sun Valley and Aspen making the cut. Otherwise, hell no. Lotsa solid great skiers there for sure, but rippers don't often move there to ski and make it as a pro. They move to Squaw, JH, Alta, WB, etc when they are young and that's why those places have the best skiers. The resorts with the hardest terrain always attract the best, and that's certainly not Aspen or Sun Valley.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    seems like an assload of average to beginner skiers are skippin the resorts completely and just going straight to the bc these days
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This has got to be one of the lamer threads started here.

Alyeska has a good collection of local skiers. There isn't much beginner terrain on that peak.
    Paoli Peaks (Indiana) has the opposite. I remember skiing midnight to 6 am in high school and nearly falling off the chair lift laughing so hard at some of the shit we saw happening below us.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post

making mediocre skiers better
    I would like to be sponsored for mediocre skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Bromide View Post
    Alyeska has a good collection of local skiers. There isn't much beginner terrain on that peak.
    The weekday/weekend contrast is pretty strong at Aly though. I can’t stand that place on weekends and holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    seems like an assload of average to beginner skiers are skippin the resorts completely and just going straight to the bc these days
    Lots of this in the NE, ski a few years at the resort, think they've got "it" and move to the BC. Skid around 25` slopes and cow pastures and claim BC skier status.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    Sure, Taos has its fair share of Texans but we embrace them with open arms. Help them put boots on, click into skis, and stop them while they flail down Al's or Main Street. They're visits make it possible to ski bum here.

And with 11" season snowfall we're becoming the best MTBers.
    Years ago I was riding up the lift at Taos. A cougar in a fuzzy cowboy hat and a white one piece made one turn at the top of Castor and bounced all the way to the bottom. When I rode back up there she was at the top of Castor, with the same result.

I have not skied there for 20 years but I remember Whitewater having an abundance of absolute rippers. Especially of the knee dropping persuasion. So many dudes just slaying it under the Summit chair. Wonder if it's still like that.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Didn’t they have some water park killed a lot of people, too??

Say what you want about Jersey, but, we ain't pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I have not skied there for 20 years but I remember Whitewater having an abundance of absolute rippers. Especially of the knee dropping persuasion. So many dudes just slaying it under the Summit chair. Wonder if it's still like that.
    Red too.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Red too.
    Shames.

Whitewater too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    The resorts with the hardest terrain always attract the best, and that's certainly not Aspen or Sun Valley.
    Dav's won the WESC twice and contrary to Plugboots assertion, skis Aspen often. His wife's a patroller there.
    Kim Reichelm once
    George Rodney won FWT once, got injured and is now back competing.

How many former freeride champions in your town?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    does drew tabke count?
    Absolutely, Seattle has population of what, 3 million and it has one freeride podium vs a town of 6000 with 4.

Which thread at TGR has the best/worst average skier?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    The worst I’ve personally experienced was at Huntah

the Worst? or the most Reckless! lots close calls at Hunta- I considered wearing armor there
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

The lower on the food chain the more half witted their actions are. It's refreshing to encounter someone with respect.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Dav's won the WESC twice and contrary to Plugboots assertion, skis Aspen often. His wife's a patroller there.
    Kim Reichelm once
    George Rodney won FWT once, got injured and is now back competing.

How many former freeride champions in your town?
    Cmon man, Aspen is great, skiers there are better than average, and I've still seen better skiers elsewhere. So what.