Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    *every user posts their local hill*
    ftr I had not yet mentioned Jackson Hole the greatest ski area and region ever imagined for skiers* But figured that went unsaid

*imo
    skid luxury

^Yeah, pretty much (to "every local picks there hill")
    In my travels, I'd say...
    Crested Butte = best, Stratton = worst.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

WORST: Vail. It's role as a glitzy ski 'destination' means that it's chock full of tourists that far outweigh the amount of ripper locals on any given day. Add in the relative lack of challenging terrain there and you've got an average skier ability that is near the bottom.
    Absolutely disagree. Most "beginners" who go to Vail can afford a lesson or 5, so the lowest tier skier there isn't actually half bad. The actual glitzy tourists don't even ski, they just post up at Pepi's and drink.

On the other hand, every time I go to A basin I see the absolute worst beaters way in over their heads. Definitely not the worst average there, though, due to the strongly competent skiers ripping pali, etc.

Mount Washington on Vancouver Island has to be a contender for worst skiers. More rear entry boots per capita than any place you can name.

It costs $72.50Cdn each way on B.C. Ferries just to get to The Island so no one goes there on a ski holiday. If you do meet someone at Mt. Washington from off island it is guaranteed that they came to Vancouver Island on other business and just brought their skis with them. They get more rain than Whistler.

Squalpine does pretty well because proximity to major metro areas and a relatively high local population means tons of kids on teams, which is how I suspect a large percentage of great skiers start. I remember seeing several hundred roughly 5 year olds packed onto a slope about 50 yards wide by 100 yards long (Spring Bowl)--following Julia Mancuso and managing not to crash into each other or fall down. Tahoe still isn't a major destination for most of the country so you don't get that many one week a year skiers. You have to be a dedicated skier to deal with the drive, the traffic, the crowds, and the price. At a $160/d you don't get that many occasional skiers.
    I haven't skied enough at other places to have a strong opinion. At a lot of big mountains if you stick to the harder terrain you might not see a lot of sub-intermediates. If you stick to Glacier or Peak, or the Tram at BS, SB, or JH etc you see a different caliber of skier than lower on the mountains. The mountain run at Squaw or the Summit runout at Alpine are hard to avoid and the low intermediates are in your face--literally .

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    *every user posts their local hill*
    Not me! Although there are a fair amount of decent skiers mid week. I skied a run with a guy today that's got 60 seasons under his belt. None of it matters anyway if you're having fun.

For top ten or even top fifty it’s probably close but top 500? Squaw Valley. No doubt about it. It’s humbling. I suck.

How the fuck does this thread devolve into the ECRC? And bridger bowl is full of beaters...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    There is WYFI available to enjoy in the lodge near the fireplace ! Sign me in.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Not exactly a "resort", but Tuckerman in April has an abundance of very serious competent skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Not me! Although there are a fair amount of decent skiers mid week. I skied a run with a guy today that's got 60 seasons under his belt. None of it matters anyway if you're having fun.
    I actually think the quality of skier at mission is pretty high compared to stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The best average skier is probably at some race academy where the only skiers are elite racers....or some place where you cannot be a beginner like La Grave or Silverton or something like that. But again....maybe that's just twisting and working around the point of the original question and maybe it's better to set those special situations aside for the purposes of discussion.
    On the east side...
    Burke Mountain (home of Burke Mtn Academy) has to be pretty high on the list of best skiers per-capita. It doesn't get very many tourists and most of the locals (kids included) can rip as well.
    Others at the top of the EC list:
    MRG (but I've seen a lot of people seriously struggling to ski it if they can).
    Cannon

Bottom of the list (Keeping to New England/New York) the usual suspects where the one trip a year tourists far out number the 50+ day a year locals.
    Okemo
    Stratton
    Mt Snow
    Huntah
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I'd guess that Snowbird, Jackson, Taos and Crested Butte would come pretty close. I'd think most of the generally agreed on toughest resorts would naturally attract the best talent, and deter beginners and intermediates.
    It is definitely CB. My fried who now skis less than 5 Days a year now, but spent several season at CB, told me the other day he is much better at skiing double blacks than regular blacks. Figure it means the best skiers come out of CB.

Squaw pre KSL. Now I think too many Bay Area passes have been sold to keep their average up. Still, there are a lot of really good skiers there.

Kirkwood would not be the top of the list. Heavenly would not be the bottom. We ski the former usually, but my wife loves going over to Heavenly to jump from the 40th percentile to the 85th.

Which Resort has the Best/Worst Average Skier?

Ski Liberty

Or

Massanutten

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    Not exactly a "resort", but Tuckerman in April has an abundance of very serious competent skiers.
    Yes, Tuckerman could have both the best and worst skiers in April.

Silverton, by design, keeps the riff-raff(gapers) out. Yes, I'm sure there are shitty skiers going there, but not many. No groomers is a great filter.

Mt Baker had probably the largest concentration of great snowboarders I've ever seen. Seriously, the place goes off in so many ways.

I've had a few mind-blowing days at CB, chasing locals around, and definitely was impressed, but there's still a lot of gapers to offset.

I went to Squaw on a random sunny spring day and wasn't really blown away by any talent. I'm sure it is different on a pow day. Met a few "Pros" from Squaw and they seemed to think it was the center of the universe

Snowbird seemed to have a good concentration of great skiers and boarders. However I was there during the freeride comp. Cool to get shown the lines by a few guys who grew up there.

My local hill ABasin has some great skiers, but a shitton of gapers, with more one the way. The Pali terrain and back/side country has produced some pretty good talent though. Taos is the same, if it got more consistent snow and was closer to a major metro, that place would go off.

For worst skiers, tied between Monarch and Wolf Creek. Proximity to TX, cheep tix/lodging, marketing etc. Perfect storm for people skiing in jeans and starter jackets... I'm sure everywhere east of the Mississippi has them beat though.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Silverton, by design, keeps the riff-raff(gapers) out.
    It’s the off ramp, right?

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    Sarcasm?

I know it's difficult terrain, but I've never been surrounded by so many beaters. On the other hand, I've never skied an east coast resort.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Sarcasm?

I know it's difficult terrain, but I've never been surrounded by so many beaters. On the other hand, I've never skied an east coast resort.
    Tuckerman definitely has the most unprepared beaters of any backcountry zone I've ever skied... it is a hilarious place to watch people get badly injured on any April Saturday. A fun Tuckerman game is to stand amidst several hundred people and switch your beacon to "search" mode and see if anyone beeps. Also "count the jeans" is a viable Tucks game. That said there are many, many badass skiers there too, and the terrain is full on, so it's nowhere close to a resort, especially an east coast resort. And the average ability may be higher than someplace like Grizzly Gulch out here, though I rather doubt it.

The shittiest average skier I've seen would be like Killington, Stratton, Gore, basically any east coast resort that advertises on the Metro North. If there is a NYC group bus+lift ticket day trip that goes there, it will be high in the rankings for "worst average skier" imo.

edit: no idea on the best, I've skied Jackson and Snowbird and while the GOOD skiers there are insanely good, both have a lot of beaters too so average is hard to guess

where is dsm going this weekend? that has to drop the average significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    where is dsm going this weekend? that has to drop the average significantly.
    lmao

He is supposed to be checking into Mt Blow today.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Taos, CB, and Snowbird have been thrown around. I lived at all of those. Taos and CB have outstanding local skiers but lose their average due to Texan tourism. Snowbird loses its average because of proximity to a metro area and major airport.

if we're talking semi-mainstream places people will recognize:

Angel Fire NM.

It is true that Tuckerman has weekend warriors that get in way over their heads, especially on weekends and sunny days.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app