Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Which Resort has the Best/Worst Average Skier?

This question popped into my head the other day, and TGR seems like the place to ask.

Now, when talking about the the Best/Worst average skier from a resort, I'm saying that if you take ALL of the skiers/borders/riders at a given ski hill, and average them all out- which place has the best average shredder?

This is mainly about rider ability, but can also include people's attitudes as well. No speculating over places you've been.

I'll start:

WORST: Vail. It's role as a glitzy ski 'destination' means that it's chock full of tourists that far outweigh the amount of ripper locals on any given day. Add in the relative lack of challenging terrain there and you've got an average skier ability that is near the bottom.

BEST: Bridger Bowl. Small-town, and the college can attract some untalented riders in search of 'the dream', but that said it's got a huge proportion of people that hike the ridge and get after it's gnarly lines. The lack of 'blue groomers' there also means that tourists prefer going to Big Sky instead.

What ski hills make your list? Discuss.

I’m unqualified to vote because I no longer travel frequently to ski, but twenty years ago: Deer Valley for worst because of all the Texans and southern Californians; and any mid-sized resort in Austria for best because of the race culture. Say, Zell am See on a non-holiday week. If you wanted to include a broader spectrum, substitute a Norwegian resort (Hemsedal) due to the hard charging telemarkers and snowboarders.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm pretty much the best, so what ever resort I'm at that day.

Worst is going to be tough to really figure. There are situations where literally everyone is a beginner and the lifts just run for a few weeks if it snows.... There's got to be some minimum number of acres or ski days per year or something. Otherwise it's like comparing baseball stats without setting minimum at-bats. The guy with one at bat and one hit has the best average.

The best average skier is probably at some race academy where the only skiers are elite racers....or some place where you cannot be a beginner like La Grave or Silverton or something like that. But again....maybe that's just twisting and working around the point of the original question and maybe it's better to set those special situations aside for the purposes of discussion.

The worst I’ve personally experienced was at Huntah

When I went from a pass at Solitude to Snowbird I noticed a definite talent level difference. I'd imagine the one star campaign isn't going to change that.

One star:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onestar.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	804.6 KB 
ID:	221181

Best in North America? Squaw Valley. Nothing even close to second.

A quick google search yielded a helpful tidbit of information. The three most visited ski resorts in America are Vail, Breckenridge and Keystone. Since 95% of skiers ski less than 5 days per year (learnt that on TGR) I’m Guessing the sheer number of skiers brings the average down. There’s some incredibly bad ass skiers who ski Vail and Breck but we all know how averages work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I'd guess that Snowbird, Jackson, Taos and Crested Butte would come pretty close. I'd think most of the generally agreed on toughest resorts would naturally attract the best talent, and deter beginners and intermediates.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I'd guess that Snowbird, Jackson, Taos and Crested Butte would come pretty close. I'd think most of the generally agreed on toughest resorts would naturally attract the best talent, and deter beginners and intermediates.
    Squaw has more raw talent. CB May have higher avg talent; but a 1/4th the number of skiers.

Easy to confuse the two.

I'm pretty sure you're singing my point.

Worst I've seen was Wolf Creek during Christmas Week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Praxis RX

Cute

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Any resort near a major metropolitan area will suffer.
    Squaw and Snowbird are great resorts, but the both have lots of gapers.
    I skied with some guys in their 70’s today and they ripped.
    That happens when you’ve skied everyday, for 40-50 seasons.

You should ski Jackson Hole.

I just skied Okemo the other day. Shot to #1 with a bullet for awful.

Best?

I'd be willing to be La Grave. Can't really dick around there and live.

Worst?

Whatever mountain is close to NYC. Windham, Hunter, Belleayre, once those weekend buses role in it's an entirely different world. I can't tell you how many crashes I've seen that would have you keeled over from laughing at how absurd they are.

Alta is close second to Squaw.

Worst I've seen is Deer Valley, or any Wyoming resort out side of Jackson/Targhee.

I have seen some really good skiers at Hunter. But, it's a specific kind of good. Carving ice and ice bumps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Worst?

Whatever mountain is close to NYC. Windham, Hunter, Belleayre, once those weekend buses role in it's an entirely different world. I can't tell you how many crashes I've seen that would have you keeled over from laughing at how absurd they are.
    one of my best ski GF's is from Windham and she rips - there are gapers but the good skiers there know how to make a turn!
    skid luxury

I've only been to Hunter on weekdays, but there were always a quite a few good skiers. Families of rippers as well as old race nerds. Despite its reputation, Hunter has some pretty good terrain, including a fun sidecountry zone. I'd bet the average skier at Okemo or Stratton is worse.

The Pocono bumps are even worse than a Hunter or Windham. But again depends on your parameters. Any of the southern Vermont mountains can be a weekend shit show. Have seen plenty of bad skiers at some of the Co mountains over the years.

In hunters defense... was there Sunday and actually commented to my buddy that the cold temps must have kept away the bad skiers/riders because nearly everyone on the mountain seemed semi competent.

I cut my teeth at Hunter, good skiers there (lotsa Joey's too). Snowbird local now.

Taos was a weird one whenever I went there. Amazing skiers there, and mixed in were the Texas Wedge Kings. They come there on vacation, and what do Texans do? Go straight for the blacks, of course! Some guy who hasn't been on skis for more than 4 hours heading down a 40 degree pitch, good times! At least if it's not groomed they can't get going so fast to hurt themselves. Much scarier is the groomed stuff where a beater can hit 40mph.....

*every user posts their local hill*