Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    OK, now I've read thru the thread and can see the classic TGR over analyze at play here.

By your standards:

Worst - some shithole hill in China
    Best - Probably some small resort in Canada Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    See, this is getting on the right track. The worst average skier count would have to be on the East Coast, down south near a major metropolitan area. What ever little ski hill that is near Charlotte, Atlanta (Beech, Wolf Mt. ?) would have the triple whammy of inexperienced southern skiers, city folk, and shit conditions.
    Appalachian Ski Mountain. Basically only ok if you never skied before, or are into park. I learned there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Best in North America? Squaw Valley. Nothing even close to second.
    Hahaha. That's cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Which Resort has the Best/Worst Average Skier?

I’ve only skied in North America and am mostly familiar with Colorado.

I think there is a lot of good skiers at ABasin on the weekdays, especially if you are lapping Pali.

Crested Butte also has a shitload of good skiers.

Jackson had lots of good skiers when I went there.

These mountains are the type that make you feel like an average skier compared to others.

I saw a lot of gapers at heavenly.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    When I went from a pass at Solitude to Snowbird I noticed a definite talent level difference. I'd imagine the one star campaign isn't going to change that.

One star:

Attachment 221181
    does that means im a better skier in the bcc
    i like the 1 star campagain
    their marketing team has great imagination
    specially when it comes to new snow and base depth numbers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    does that means im a better skier in the bcc
    i like the 1 star campagain
    their marketing team has great imagination
    specially when it comes to new snow and base depth numbers
    One star is the ghey. Total cheesy shite.

Which Resort has the Best/Worst Average Skier?

Worst was Mountain Creek in New Jersey.
    It was a scary scene to witness.
    I just felt unsafe because of the type of people around me.

Best was Jackson Hole.
    No doubt.

when it comes to knowledge, experience and tactical awareness
    skiers and boarders at 49N are the worst ive seen out west .....

JH has the best ive ever skied with
    ......... or tried to ski with
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Las Lenas has to have the biggest difference between the bad and the good skiers.

99,9% the Argentinian and Brazilian tourists suck, and the few South Americans who ski well are freedriders who fit in nicely with the North Americans and Europeans who travel there for southern hemispehre- season. Most are very good skiers

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post
    You are not kidding. This weekend should be interesting, as always. Maybe they'll turn on the snowguns mid-day to add some extra flavor.
    Yea but have you seen the umbrella at Crystal?

I'm not sure the real questions are not:

"What resort has the best skiers"
    "What resort has the worst skiers"

"But if the question is which resort's average skier is the best", of all the places I've spent time, La Grave is the answer. There is simply no terrain or "iterneary" easier than the black runs at any decent western ski area. That is with out even getting into the navigation aspect. So the bottom 75% at any other area simply is not there. No rental shops, no ski school, no ski patrol (basically).

All of the 'core' mountains are brimming with gapers on the weekends, and even third tier hills have a few ripping skiers on random weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm not sure the real questions are not:

"What resort has the best skiers"
    "What resort has the worst skiers"

"But if the question is which resort's average skier is the best", of all the places I've spent time, La Grave is the answer. There is simply no terrain or "iterneary" easier than the black runs at any decent western ski area. That is with out even getting into the navigation aspect. So the bottom 75% at any other area simply is not there. No rental shops, no ski school, no ski patrol (basically).
    Well, duh. This is the “What shithole place I’ve been to has a few folks who can make dolphin turns” thread.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Worst was Mountain Creek in New Jersey.
    It was a scary scene to witness.
    I just felt unsafe because of the type of people around me.

Best was Jackson Hole.
    No doubt.
    Yes, formerly Vernon Valley. It was way worse back in the 70s when snow making and grooming was not as good as today. We used to wait on lines 30-45 minutes to go down a run that could take 3 minutes if you took your time.

So many beginners and they all rented and the ski shop never sharpened or tuned the rentals. Edges were like butter knives and it was an ice rink. The combination of so many crappy skiers falling and then laying all over the trails with the ice made it an obstacle course and difficult to get through a day without being taken out by kamikazes. Good times though

IMO, average skier ability, worst = cataloochee, for these reasons. It's the most southern of the SE resorts boasting any sort of vert, and the closest to Atl. They've probably got the most serious snow making capability per acre in the US, maybe the world. Really an amazing system that get slopes open, literally, overnight. And while it's 16 skiable acres and 740 vert are pretty impressive; they are packing in the dominate share of every youth church bus out of florida georgia sc and alabama. an lemee tell ewe. there are quite a few of those busses in this neck of the woods. Bub.

on a saturday the entire base can be a massive wall of people who think they are in one line or another. Good times!
    "Can't you see..."

Best, toss up, IMO, between Whistler, Jackson Hole and Squaw.
    Worst, and place in the SE.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Yes, formerly Vernon Valley. It was way worse back in the 70s when snow making and grooming was not as good as today. We used to wait on lines 30-45 minutes to go down a run that could take 3 minutes if you took your time.

So many beginners and they all rented and the ski shop never sharpened or tuned the rentals. Edges were like butter knives and it was an ice rink. The combination of so many crappy skiers falling and then laying all over the trails with the ice made it an obstacle course and difficult to get through a day without being taken out by kamikazes. Good times though
    Didn’t they have some water park killed a lot of people, too??

This thread is slow pitch grapefruit for TGR.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think that was Action Park?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Or where they go on vacation...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Best, toss up, IMO, between Whistler, Jackson Hole and Squaw.
    Worst, and place in the SE.
    I’ve spent only 10 skiing WB. I did some excellent skiers, but mostly wealthy Texans and Mexicans wedging their way all over the place on the green runs off of every single lift.

I’ve also spent 10 days at JH, and from that experience would say the average skiing ability is much much higher than Whistler.

I’ve skied Squaw a bunch, but mostly on spring days, but would put the average skill level between WB and JH.

I think the lack of major metro area nearby, and its rep as bad ass, helps keep all but a few gapers away from JH. The few I ran across had plenty of money. Someone has to stay at the 4 seasons.

You “did” some excellent skiers?
    NTTAWWT
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Aspen Mountain has 0 green runs.
    Beginners and intermediates all go to Buttermilk or Snowmass.
    Very few day skiers.
    Lifts right out of town, so locals can take a lap at lunch, before or after work.
    Highest percentage of 100 day a year skiers/ to pass sales, in North America.
    Day 53 for me.

From back at BB in the eighties.....guys ripping from the ridge on 207 GS boards....quiet shoulders right down the fall line.....and then continuing down through the bumps on Bronco or Deer Park without missing a beat. Like watching Glenn Plake at the local hill.

I'm sure there are phenomenal skiers at Big Sky now with the terrain open.....and JHMR and Snowbird have always top talent.

Yes, as stuckathuntahmountain said, the water park was action Park, but that place was a major blast because you controlled all the rides and there were very little safety precautions. They were self insured because nobody else would insure them and their first aid squad was constantly hauling injured patrons out.

There were so many dangerous rides there. The alpine slide had no brakes and people routinely flew off the track and they didn't even have padding or cushions on the big turns, just granite and sharp rock. They had these cliffs you could dive from and the top one was probably 25', high enough that if you didn't know what you were doing you could get pretty f'd up. They let even little kids jump from them. There was also a loop the loop water slide that people would get hurt on because they would get stuck in the top and then fall down with no momentum to keep them sliding on the water.

People expected that rides are safe and don't realize that if they don't control the ride properly they'd get injured. But like I said, if you were athletic you could have a ton of fun there.