Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I haven't been in a few years but I thought that Alta/Bird was full of intermediates. When I ski Revelstoke, I feel like an intermediate.

Must be summer.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    adept at riding lifts
    Who has trouble riding lifts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Benny

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    SO I have spent a ton of days at both since 1984 & agree it has its share but as average, I think Jackson or honestly......

Schweitzer Mountain

Now, I have never been there and maybe the family dynamic lowers its score on a normal day but every skier I have met from there ( Bridger close second) absolutely fucking rips. Of course many of them I met @ Snowbird or Alta, so above point is valid. I just have always been amazed that that mtn produced so many rippers

Aspen Mtn ( Ajax) def makes the top 5 list. Very few gapers ( where would they ski?) and a lot of bell to bell locals.
    It used to be that at Bridger (and at Schweitzer, too), the skiing population was either true born and bred locals or 100 day a year dirtbags. 0 gapes from Texas. Ever. Maybe that's changing these days. Maybe not.

There are plenty of excellent skiers at AltaBird, but there are also plenty of GORBYs who just flew in from Atlanta or Dallas or wherever the fuck to drag down the average.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Particularly late season snowbird trams after all the rest of the ski areas have shut down for the year, rippers are migrating over from all over the wasatch and casual skiers are done.
    ^ accurate statement

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    ...snip...

As far as worst, Monarch has to be right up there. Went up there for donation day this year, and me and my buddy were finding all sorts of fresh in the trees. At the bottom we asked the liftie when it last snowed: "uhhh 4 days ago?" I say damn theres plenty of fresh left up there! And he goes: "there is?" Like bro did you ever venture 4 feet off the groomers? Every mountain including Monarch has a few rippers, but I have never been to a mountain with fewer competent skiers.
    Is that really a problem though? Worst would be if it was all boardaroy after 11:30am.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Is that really a problem though? Worst would be if it was all boardaroy after 11:30am.
    Not saying its the worst place to ski, its actually a great place to ski, especially when they have some fresh, because the majority of the regular crowd can't/doesn't ski powder. I just think it shows that they have a low average skier ability when the more difficult runs are barely skied.

After that day we went back and bought day passes a few times, it really is a sweet little spot with a cool vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Dunno, but some places they just keep fukcing stopping, and I just assume it's a complete Warren Miller-esque gong show at the top and/or bottom.

TL/DR but gonna give a shout out to Hood in the summer for best skiers on average. Gotta be mostly serious high level amateurs and pros training there off season.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    TL/DR but gonna give a shout out to Hood in the summer for best skiers on average. Gotta be mostly serious high level amateurs and pros training there off season.
    If you are going to reduce it to a certain time period, Snowbird tram, Whistler late season, and A basin all concentrate the hardcore skiers from the region for last kicks, turns many on their way to Summer gigs or off season biking, boating, etc.

so, you wanna know what average skier is the best?

or what skier average is best at resort average?

or what average skier resorts to being the best average?

or what resorts to skiers being only average at best?

or what best resort has average skiers?

stick a fork in this thread, before its over cooked
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Ya’ll ever ski in the mid-Atlantic? Worst for me = Whitetail. Lifts are a total shit show.

One interesting thing about places like JH and CB. They are the only resort around. So if you go on a ski vacation with the family, everyone is going to the hill. There are tourist everywhere, but here, it seems like the skiers that need groomers will hit up Buttermilk and Snowmass, and then Ajax obviously has the glitz that attracts people staying in town. However, Highlands seems to not get the same crowd as the other resorts and it is easy here to send skiers to different hills based on skill level....but again, there are bad skiers everywhere and Highlands will attract some bros who want to prove they are rad.

Silverton has to win out of the resorts I have been to...not sure about Kicking Horse or some of the euro resorts.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Ya’ll ever ski in the mid-Atlantic? Worst for me = Whitetail. Lifts are a total shit show.
    Cataloochee is the biggest beginner Florida and Georgia shitshow I've ever seen around here. Thaknfully, it's segregated well. One lift for a fun black trail and the other lift for all the beginner terrain. But man, that place on a holiday weekend, the lodge, the parking, OMG!

Which Resort has the Best/Worst Average Skier?

Stupid app double post

+1 to Highlands having great terrain and lots of skiers killing it. It was decades ago I was there but folks that suck don't have much fun there and go to Buttermilk after quickly figuring out Highlands isn't for them. Such a cool and fun place to ski. Steeplechase laps all day.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    Heavenly on a weekend is the worst.
    Came here for this.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    One interesting thing about places like JH and CB. They are the only resort around. So if you go on a ski vacation with the family, everyone is going to the hill. There are tourist everywhere, but here, it seems like the skiers that need groomers will hit up Buttermilk and Snowmass, and then Ajax obviously has the glitz that attracts people staying in town. However, Highlands seems to not get the same crowd as the other resorts and it is easy here to send skiers to different hills based on skill level....but again, there are bad skiers everywhere and Highlands will attract some bros who want to prove they are rad.
    I'd assert that the top local talent is on Ajax more often than Highlands. Zero green runs on Ajax also weeds out 99% of the really bad/beginner skiers, which raises the average considerably right off the bat.

Now you have to factor in the ikon pass at places like alta/bird and jxn which undoubtedly brings down the percentage of quality skiers a good 20 to 25%.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    I'd assert that the top local talent is on Ajax more often than Highlands. Zero green runs on Ajax also weeds out 99% of the really bad/beginner skiers, which raises the average considerably right off the bat.
    plus the walk/bike to gondy from work or residences in town for quick laps
    And I think the green/blue terrain on Highlands is sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    plus the walk/bike to gondy from work or residences in town for quick laps
    This is the key and what keeps a lot of rippers on Aspen midweek. If I have 2 hours during a weekday I often just go crank laps at Aspen, all over the mountain - gondi laps, 1A, laps under 6. Find what aspect is skiing well and repeat.

You can mimic the same lapping DT terrain or Oly, but it doesn't feel as efficient to me and I'm a sucker for the Bowl, even on short days. That's not to say short days at Highlands suck, but the efficiency of Ajax is very satisfying.

Nakiska in Alberta easily has the worst skiers. Cheap season passes and close to Calgary all add up to a mountain full of Jerry's.

^^^should be super fun jerry watching this weekend when they open... WROD

I was extremely humbled at both Jackson Hole and Revelstoke.

Places with the worst skiers? Wachusett here in my backyard, and I've never seen so many people bring their skis into the lodge than at Whiteface. Though the next two are great places to ski and have tons of really good riders, i was surprised with how many crappy skiers I saw at Taos (texans) and Squaw.

The Taos Wedge Kings are something else though. Beginners wedging down a super steep black run, no fear at all.