Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Alta/Snowbird is stacked with Talent

really ,never seen so many Rippers on one mountain anywhere else in N America
    Particularly late season snowbird trams after all the rest of the ski areas have shut down for the year, rippers are migrating over from all over the wasatch and casual skiers are done.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi S_jenks! May I suggest that the best skiers on the continent can be found at Killington, Vermont? The northeast is the home of the gnarliest snowriding on the North American continent and Killington has the raddest snowriders to be found ANYWHERE! You will find superior conditiona due to the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking(and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems). The snowriding terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") The snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is right out of a "Currier and Ives" postcard! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! In addition you will discover the superior intellectual urban "vibe" that you just won't find in the less-educated and cululted western part of the continent. I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    pm buttflake for some new material

I ski CB now, and while the terrain dictates that most locals are very good skiers, there really aren't as many locals as a place like Alta/Bird, and there are a lottttt of Texans bringing the average down. Skied Alta last year, and there are way more good skiers, even if there are more total skiers. I feel like most of the gapers/tourists go to the Bird (where there are also plenty of rad skiers) and bring their average down more than Alta.

As far as worst, Monarch has to be right up there. Went up there for donation day this year, and me and my buddy were finding all sorts of fresh in the trees. At the bottom we asked the liftie when it last snowed: "uhhh 4 days ago?" I say damn theres plenty of fresh left up there! And he goes: "there is?" Like bro did you ever venture 4 feet off the groomers? Every mountain including Monarch has a few rippers, but I have never been to a mountain with fewer competent skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    ...in the less-educated and cululted western part of the continent.
    Ironic spelling mistakes. That's so Killington.

You guys should see this place on a busy weekend.

Them desert dwellers from the valley go full rehtard at elevation.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Alta/Snowbird is stacked with Talent

really ,never seen so many Rippers on one mountain anywhere else in N America
    SO I have spent a ton of days at both since 1984 & agree it has its share but as average, I think Jackson or honestly......

Schweitzer Mountain

Now, I have never been there and maybe the family dynamic lowers its score on a normal day but every skier I have met from there ( Bridger close second) absolutely fucking rips. Of course many of them I met @ Snowbird or Alta, so above point is valid. I just have always been amazed that that mtn produced so many rippers

Aspen Mtn ( Ajax) def makes the top 5 list. Very few gapers ( where would they ski?) and a lot of bell to bell locals.

Maybe not the best average skiers, but the largest collection of great skiers? I’d have to pick Jackson and Squaw. The biggest collection of great snowboarders, I’m picking Bachelor.

I found the skiers at Sun Valley to be generally all pretty adept at riding lifts and carving up the groomers. That must count for something.

WTH happened to STFU?
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I haven't been in a few years but I thought that Alta/Bird was full of intermediates. When I ski Revelstoke, I feel like an intermediate.

Must be summer.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    adept at riding lifts
    Who has trouble riding lifts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Benny

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    SO I have spent a ton of days at both since 1984 & agree it has its share but as average, I think Jackson or honestly......

Schweitzer Mountain

Now, I have never been there and maybe the family dynamic lowers its score on a normal day but every skier I have met from there ( Bridger close second) absolutely fucking rips. Of course many of them I met @ Snowbird or Alta, so above point is valid. I just have always been amazed that that mtn produced so many rippers

Aspen Mtn ( Ajax) def makes the top 5 list. Very few gapers ( where would they ski?) and a lot of bell to bell locals.
    It used to be that at Bridger (and at Schweitzer, too), the skiing population was either true born and bred locals or 100 day a year dirtbags. 0 gapes from Texas. Ever. Maybe that's changing these days. Maybe not.

There are plenty of excellent skiers at AltaBird, but there are also plenty of GORBYs who just flew in from Atlanta or Dallas or wherever the fuck to drag down the average.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Particularly late season snowbird trams after all the rest of the ski areas have shut down for the year, rippers are migrating over from all over the wasatch and casual skiers are done.
    ^ accurate statement

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    ...snip...

As far as worst, Monarch has to be right up there. Went up there for donation day this year, and me and my buddy were finding all sorts of fresh in the trees. At the bottom we asked the liftie when it last snowed: "uhhh 4 days ago?" I say damn theres plenty of fresh left up there! And he goes: "there is?" Like bro did you ever venture 4 feet off the groomers? Every mountain including Monarch has a few rippers, but I have never been to a mountain with fewer competent skiers.
    Is that really a problem though? Worst would be if it was all boardaroy after 11:30am.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Is that really a problem though? Worst would be if it was all boardaroy after 11:30am.
    Not saying its the worst place to ski, its actually a great place to ski, especially when they have some fresh, because the majority of the regular crowd can't/doesn't ski powder. I just think it shows that they have a low average skier ability when the more difficult runs are barely skied.

After that day we went back and bought day passes a few times, it really is a sweet little spot with a cool vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Dunno, but some places they just keep fukcing stopping, and I just assume it's a complete Warren Miller-esque gong show at the top and/or bottom.

TL/DR but gonna give a shout out to Hood in the summer for best skiers on average. Gotta be mostly serious high level amateurs and pros training there off season.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    TL/DR but gonna give a shout out to Hood in the summer for best skiers on average. Gotta be mostly serious high level amateurs and pros training there off season.
    If you are going to reduce it to a certain time period, Snowbird tram, Whistler late season, and A basin all concentrate the hardcore skiers from the region for last kicks, turns many on their way to Summer gigs or off season biking, boating, etc.

so, you wanna know what average skier is the best?

or what skier average is best at resort average?

or what average skier resorts to being the best average?

or what resorts to skiers being only average at best?

or what best resort has average skiers?

stick a fork in this thread, before its over cooked
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Ya’ll ever ski in the mid-Atlantic? Worst for me = Whitetail. Lifts are a total shit show.
    J!E!T!S!

One interesting thing about places like JH and CB. They are the only resort around. So if you go on a ski vacation with the family, everyone is going to the hill. There are tourist everywhere, but here, it seems like the skiers that need groomers will hit up Buttermilk and Snowmass, and then Ajax obviously has the glitz that attracts people staying in town. However, Highlands seems to not get the same crowd as the other resorts and it is easy here to send skiers to different hills based on skill level....but again, there are bad skiers everywhere and Highlands will attract some bros who want to prove they are rad.

Silverton has to win out of the resorts I have been to...not sure about Kicking Horse or some of the euro resorts.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Ya’ll ever ski in the mid-Atlantic? Worst for me = Whitetail. Lifts are a total shit show.
    Cataloochee is the biggest beginner Florida and Georgia shitshow I've ever seen around here. Thaknfully, it's segregated well. One lift for a fun black trail and the other lift for all the beginner terrain. But man, that place on a holiday weekend, the lodge, the parking, OMG!

Which Resort has the Best/Worst Average Skier?

Stupid app double post
    J!E!T!S!

+1 to Highlands having great terrain and lots of skiers killing it. It was decades ago I was there but folks that suck don't have much fun there and go to Buttermilk after quickly figuring out Highlands isn't for them. Such a cool and fun place to ski. Steeplechase laps all day.