Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Yeah, better than Kreitler, the Christ brothers or any of those other slubs from Sun Valley too!
    You don't think there are any better skiers anywhere else then those guys? They are rippers, but they in their mid to late forties. You are not making any sense. Even I could come up with better SV example for you, ha.

There are hundreds of no name top of the pack shredders out there. The very best at Squaw these days you wouldn’t know most of their names, for example. And they’re only sponsored enough to get some free gear, sometimes.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

jackson hole

what a stupid q
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

A mountain must have a lot of truly challenging terrain for great skiers to shine, which disqualifies most. Of the areas I have visited, the best skiers are at: Kirkwood, Snowbird, Jackson, Bridger, Red and Kicking Horse.

The best skiers/riders I've seen have been at Jackson Hole, Bridger Bowl, Snowbird, & Brighton. The worst have been in North Carolina. If I exclude the southeast, the worst I've seen have probably been at Breckenridge due to the large number of tourists.

Good skiers left kirkwood about when the freeride tour did. Last I was there it was mostly shlups from the Heave.

From my experience, I would guess that it wouldn't be Squaw, though weekday vs. weekend would probably matter a lot. They seem to have a great top end, but there were tons of destination resort skiers too. I would guess that mean or median, it would be a smaller, lesser known resort with less of a top end but which attracts fewer people. i haven't skied any small places in the West, so I can't weigh in there.

In the East: During the tenuous recovery years, Magic had a really high mean despite not having the top end that the big Western mountains have. It was just not attracting casual skiers (and it wasn't set up for beginners). Everyone was either looking for a more challenging mountain, was a long time devotee, or was there for the races they were willing to host on the busy weekends that no one else would. I would take my beginner wife and not worry about her collision at all as everyone else on the mountain would just skillfully give her space as she slowly picked her way down. Now that it's become more popular, they seem to get more casual visitors and the mean has dropped a bit. I wonder about places like Hickory. Do any casuals show up when it's occasionally open or do you get a low variance high mean of people excited to ski it?

Worst: (My wife lived in DC for a while, so I got to sample some good ones). Ski Liberty was a bit of a shit show. Snowshow, WV was actually pretty bad the weekend I was there, though it was a holiday weekend and it was packed, so that probably hurt it. Blue Knob in PA, on the other hand, had better skiers than I expected.

Louisa's cafe in La Palud a mighty impressive line up of pro's and rock stars all drinking espresso while waiting for the old tram to open...

on a purely % basis a lot better than mediocre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This is a dumb thread - just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    This is a dumb thread - just sayin...
    Looking back on it now, I agree it's not my best idea for a first thread.

Still, 7 pages of this banter has brought a good chuckle now and then. Even brought that DD fellow out of his padded room for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Some people take themselves way too seriously. Maybe we can all learn from the fun loving no shit giving "Jerry's"? Or not? Whatever.
    Absolutely. I love the beaters. They are having so much fun compared to some folks with the perfect kit to match their gnar. The no shits given Jerrys don't ski where I ski. I grew up skiing and have many years of 100 plus days so I pretty much have the mountain environment dialed. Put me downtown New York or in a 8 foot swell and I'm the beater. Its all relative.
    This is a strange thread. Maybe we should start a new thread about low skill level mountains, with good terrain , lots of snow and a packed lower mountain with empty expert terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by steeznutz View Post
    The best skiers/riders I've seen have been at Jackson Hole, Bridger Bowl, Snowbird, & Brighton. The worst have been in North Carolina. If I exclude the southeast, the worst I've seen have probably been at Breckenridge due to the large number of tourists.
    Brighton.
    Laughin!!!!
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

In the Los Angeles, Mexico area, the best average skier could be found at Mt. Baldy. The worst are typically at Bear Mountain, Snow Summit and/or Mountain High. Never been to Mt. Waterman, so can't comment on that area.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Riblet Tramway View Post
    Worst: Buck Hill, MN
    Best: Mt. Eyak, AK
    We have a winner

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    We have a winner
    ya but lindsey vonn raced buck hill and buck has s shitload of racers that would rip apart most skiers in any condition
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    In the Los Angeles, Mexico area, the best average skier could be found at Mt. Baldy.
    That's a blast from my childhood. Does that place even still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    That's a blast from my childhood. Does that place even still exist?
    It's still around, but it has been a while since the San Gabriel have had a real winter.

Mountain High had some fairly high-level jibbers back when I was a pass holders there.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Word. I haven't skied enough places so say affirmatively. But in CA best is obviously Squaw. Worst is probably Boreal/Soda Springs or maybe Snow Valley.
    BRO real is full of park rats that rival mammoth every day (and night).

Whistler's average is declining, in addition to the large amount of rich tourists I feel like so many of the newer locals are not even that in to it either, just here for their gap year(s) from UK or Australia to give a try, but mostly drink/party/take Instagram shots at Joffre lakes etc. Don't feel like I've met as many kids moving here, slaving away at a restaurant or whatever and skiing 100+ days.

Also I have heard some stories from down unda that could put the Australian ski hills on the list for worst too

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ski Dubai worst. I think the mid week Alpental crew on average can hang with anyones mean average. The combination of steep terrain. Extremely variable snow conditions and visibility conditions doesn't seem to slow most of the crew down.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

The best snow boarders I've seen were at Revelstoke. I saw one dude that was doing the flip move they do on catwalks for propulsion and he was going faster than I could skate. Probably not an indication of the mean but I saw some rad boarders there

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I couldn't say which area has the best average, but without a doubt, the best skier I've ever skied with hailed from A-Basin, Copper, and 'lesser' resorts. Not far down the list are his sons.

It's almost that time of year again. I still miss you big guy... Wherever you are, I hope the snow is deep and the coffee is good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    It's still around, but it has been a while since the San Gabriel have had a real winter.
    Last winter didn't hit at Baldy? It sure was good here in AZ.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi S_jenks! May I suggest that by far, the best snowriders will be found at Killington, Vermont? The northeast is the home of the gnarliest snowriding on the North American continent and Killington has the raddest shredders to be found ANYWHERE! Helped along by the stellar conditions created by the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking(and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems). The snowriding terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere (can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") The snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is right out of a "Currier and Ives" postcard! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! In addition you will discover the superior intellectual urban "vibe" that you just won't find in the less-educated and less-cultured western part of the continent. I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    kmart, ftw

Hi S_jenks! May I suggest that by far, the best snowriders will be found at Killington, Vermont? The northeast is the home of the gnarliest snowriding on the North American continent and Killington has the raddest shredders to be found ANYWHERE! Helped along by the stellar conditions created by the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking(and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems). The snowriding terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere (can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") The snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is right out of a "Currier and Ives" postcard! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! In addition you will discover the superior intellectual urban "vibe" that you just won't find in the less-educated and less-cultured western part of the continent. I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots, NewSchoolers, Pugskiazoids, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!