Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Steamboat sends the most Olympians out, so they must be the best
    There are plenty of really fundamentally strong skiers and riders there. They know how to rip through the trees!
    Silverton is up there since the minimum ability is a solid advanced.

Steamboat has great Nordic skiers, and maybe gate skiers. But if we are talking freeride they are limited by terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Yes, agreed. You need a playground to work with, and the challenging terrain there is pretty short.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Sarcasm?

I know it's difficult terrain, but I've never been surrounded by so many beaters. On the other hand, I've never skied an east coast resort.
    I agree. Beater central. There is nowhere else to find so many people unprepared for consequential terrain.

Damn, I forgot to add Magic to the East coast list. Definitely Magic!
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I’ll throw some of the BC/ Kootenay resorts in the best-whitewater/red and Revelstoke/Kicking Horse (excluding long weekends ...)

Quote Originally Posted by brraaap802 View Post
    I’ll throw some of the BC/ Kootenay resorts in the best-whitewater/red and Revelstoke/Kicking Horse (excluding long weekends ...)
    I grew up skiing Sunshine and I felt like it was hard to see examples of high end skiing until I had access to the Dive. Then seeing the comp lines that people do at Lake Louise blew my mind. Helps that you can see some of them from the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Ski Liberty

Or

Massanutten
    Dipsy Doodle at Ski Liberty is the scariest thing I've ever skied.

My local has a very high percentage of bad skiers. It’s easily accessible from metro areas (for VT) and since it’s not the expensive resort in the area it’s full of locals and weekenders that don’t have the coin for lessons, seasonal programs, etc.

A friend who was the ski school admin there for a few years couldn’t get over how bad the average skier was and yet they had a tough time filling the ski school on holidays and other times that you would expect the, to sell out.

You should try winterberg in Northern Germany. Full of gapers from Northern Germany AND the nerherlands. They are by far worse.

Best: good question. LA grave is not as hardcore as it seems to 'mericans. If you grow up without inbounds you get along with terrain management and route finding. I haven't skied Chamonix much but it's reputation attracts a lot of tourists. Who lower the the level. Which happens to many big name resorts. Engelberg has a high level of free riders (so high that I'm really surprised how small resorts look sometimes off Piste wise) but I can't comment on the Piste skills. It's not very tourist friendly because there is basically no sun before February. And they have some high level alpine sports boarding school there... so the kids rip.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I'm pretty certain any Vail owned property has the worse skiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

The local talent at BB is pretty amazing. Also, I need to travel more.
    How would we rate worst? I'd say beginners and tourists aren't the end of the world. I'd say out of control Rental Mentals and other idiots who get stuck over their heads are a much bigger problem than the beginners you can usually ski around.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I would normally say that if you don't have the terrain, you don't have the good skiers. But in 1996 I went to Valdez to ski, and went to the shitty hotel where they posted the WESC results and saw Davenport's name and Aspen as his hometown. Who and the fuck can ski from Aspen? I guess he didn't spend a lot of time at the resort.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

McConkey and Morrison started out at Vail. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    On the east side...
    Burke Mountain (home of Burke Mtn Academy) has to be pretty high on the list of best skiers per-capita. It doesn't get very many tourists and most of the locals (kids included) can rip as well.
    Others at the top of the EC list:
    MRG (but I've seen a lot of people seriously struggling to ski it if they can).
    Cannon

Bottom of the list (Keeping to New England/New York) the usual suspects where the one trip a year tourists far out number the 50+ day a year locals.
    Okemo
    Stratton
    Mt Snow
    Huntah

Cannon does have an abundance of what are perhaps the best intermediate skiers around. It can get icy there but even the average Cannon skiers (some in jeans and/or gear older than my vintage stuff) can negotiate the ice with competence if not finesse. The terrain, ice, wind and temps discourage those who prefer Loon, Waterville or Bretton Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    On the east side...
    Burke Mountain (home of Burke Mtn Academy) has to be pretty high on the list of best skiers per-capita. It doesn't get very many tourists and most of the locals (kids included) can rip as well.
    Others at the top of the EC list:
    MRG (but I've seen a lot of people seriously struggling to ski it if they can).
    Cannon

Bottom of the list (Keeping to New England/New York) the usual suspects where the one trip a year tourists far out number the 50+ day a year locals.
    Okemo
    Stratton
    Mt Snow
    Huntah
    Yeah, a big busy resort would not make this list. It's not possible due to shear numbers.

My years in JH had an abundance of incredible skiers. Of course you never saw them unless you were with them, and the couch never had a lift line, but thunder would be at the back of the maze. They're out.

Squally world...nope, they're out. Incredible talent, but too many kooks.

Taos. Nope. Too many Texans. You never really see them except from the lift flailing down Al's.

Cannon has possibilities. They are much busier than they used to be, but there are a lot of really good skiers there. I've seen tracks in places that are incredibly impressive. The tightness and low snowpack is a huge factor on the EC. Is it better...not really, but does it make one better. Certainly not scientific, but my wife (intermediate skier and super cautious) always felt safest at Cannon because everyone seemed to be in control even though conditions are not typically great.

Smugglers which produced the best skier in our era. But they to are too busy these days also.

MRG. I don't know. Maybe, but I've seen a fair share of piss poor skiers there.

Burke. Burke may have the strongest skier population per capita on the east side.

I haven't been, but I would guess Bridger would be near the top on the West side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Dipsy Doodle at Ski Liberty is the scariest thing I've ever skied.
    You clearly haven't been to Paoli Peaks in Indiana.

Makes folks at Liberty look like they really have their shit together.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    *every user posts their local hill*
    Word. I haven't skied enough places so say affirmatively. But in CA best is obviously Squaw. Worst is probably Boreal/Soda Springs or maybe Snow Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Tuckerman definitely has the most unprepared beaters of any backcountry zone I've ever skied... it is a hilarious place to watch people get badly injured on any April Saturday. A fun Tuckerman game is to stand amidst several hundred people and switch your beacon to "search" mode and see if anyone beeps. Also "count the jeans" is a viable Tucks game. That said there are many, many badass skiers there too, and the terrain is full on, so it's nowhere close to a resort, especially an east coast resort. And the average ability may be higher than someplace like Grizzly Gulch out here, though I rather doubt it.
    The boot ladders at Tucks are terrifying on weekends. Lots of snowboarders without packs (or poles or axes), lots of jeans, etc. A crew I used to work with had an annual week up there, and it was quite interesting—some of us had some backcountry experience (and gear), others didn't. One snowboarder showed up with a duffel that could sort-of be used as a backpack, someone else ended up skinning up to HoJos with his board on their back to help him out...having a real mountain that accessible with millions of people within a three-hour drive does keep things interesting. I only did the trip twice, but as far as I know, there was only one serious injury in many years, and that was a guy who got knocked out by icefall coming off Chute while hiking to Lunch Rocks (and the people who were already at Lunch Rocks were tucked in behind them, not on top or in front—we were well aware it was a risky place to be).

I don't think Killington, Stratton, or even Okemo would qualify for worst overall skiers—yeah, there are lots of skiers, and most of them are below average. But between the academy programs and the long-time, 100+ day/year locals, there are some pretty damn good skiers at all of those resorts as well.

It gets pretty interesting at my local mountain during North Dakota vacation weeks, but I don't think we have the sheer volume of gapers that the larger resorts do to take the worst-average-skier prize.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    McConkey and Morrison started out at Vail. Just sayin.

TJ and Dex were from Michigan man.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    The boot ladders at Tucks are terrifying on weekends. Lots of snowboarders without packs (or poles or axes), lots of jeans, etc. A crew I used to work with had an annual week up there, and it was quite interesting—some of us had some backcountry experience (and gear), others didn't. One snowboarder showed up with a duffel that could sort-of be used as a backpack, someone else ended up skinning up to HoJos with his board on their back to help him out...having a real mountain that accessible with millions of people within a three-hour drive does keep things interesting. I only did the trip twice, but as far as I know, there was only one serious injury in many years, and that was a guy who got knocked out by icefall coming off Chute while hiking to Lunch Rocks (and the people who were already at Lunch Rocks were tucked in behind them, not on top or in front—we were well aware it was a risky place to be).

I don't think Killington, Stratton, or even Okemo would qualify for worst overall skiers—yeah, there are lots of skiers, and most of them are below average. But between the academy programs and the long-time, 100+ day/year locals, there are some pretty damn good skiers at all of those resorts as well.

It gets pretty interesting at my local mountain during North Dakota vacation weeks, but I don't think we have the sheer volume of gapers that the larger resorts do to take the worst-average-skier prize.
    Speaking of boot ladders--booting up Spanky's and staring up at the boot soles of the guy in front of you who is seriously struggling is terrifying.

Worst skiers has to be Boreal. My son's friend had her leg broken by someone sledding on a groomed run.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I actually think the quality of skier at mission is pretty high compared to stevens.
    it does have the best ski school.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Ski Liberty

Or

Massanutten
    See, this is getting on the right track. The worst average skier count would have to be on the East Coast, down south near a major metropolitan area. What ever little ski hill that is near Charlotte, Atlanta (Beech, Wolf Mt. ?) would have the triple whammy of inexperienced southern skiers, city folk, and shit conditions.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I've heard skiing Ober Gatlinburg is like being inside a looney tunes short.

I didn't read a single post in this thread..... here's my answer.

Worst - Vail
    Best - Snowbird