Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    got a photo of the condition?

in cali, each property is supposed to retain its own runoff; you can't shed directly to a neighboring property
    (there's obviously a lot of gray zone, what with paved driveways etc, but that's the essence of current code regarding storm runoff)
    No. Wrong.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    No. Wrong.
    ???
    The gray area?

Since it’s in California, I am qualified to give an answer.

Constructing something which channels water onto adjoining property is a trespass and a nuisance, for which both equitable (such as removal) relief and damages are available remedies. Contact the owner and complain.
    Does the length of time the pad has been there matter? IOW if it's been like that for 15 years without anyone complaining does that give the neighbor the right to keep it that way.
    I would probably just build a concrete curb on your side of the property line up against the pad. And get Mexico to pay for it. Failing that it might be worth complaining to the seller and the realtor for failure to disclose.

It's always best to leave the building dept out of it if possible.

If both houses have unpermitted work let sleeping dogs lie. French drain-shared cost. Or similar solution.

For the short term, go to home depot, get a handful of 2x4's and a 100' roll of visquene. Make a curb at her house and run the plastic to the neighbors house. Make a temp slip n slide.

Figure out a better plan in spring.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    ???
    The gray area?
    Wrong that California law requires property to hold its own water. Natural flow over property to a lower property is tough shit for the lower. Issue becomes what is natural

Wrong that California law requires property to hold its own water. Natural flow over property to a lower property is tough shit for the lower. Issue becomes what is natural
    You may want to recheck that regarding storm runoff...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Does the length of time the pad has been there matter? IOW if it's been like that for 15 years without anyone complaining does that give the neighbor the right to keep it that way.
    I would probably just build a concrete curb on your side of the property line up against the pad. And get Mexico to pay for it. Failing that it might be worth complaining to the seller and the realtor for failure to disclose.

It's always best to leave the building dept out of it if possible.
    It could make a difference whether or not it’s a continuing nuisance or not. Way too boring to address at this point in my bottle of Zin

Since there's no HOA that probably means there's no CC&Rs to enforce on issues like this. I'd check your city's municipal code, they're usually online and searchable for terms like "impervious surface" and "surface runoff". If you find the neighbor is in violation of code that will hopefully make negotiations easier. If the neighbor digs in and won't remedy the situation it's up to your daughter whether it would be more trouble to install a bigger foundation drain and a sump or get the city involved.

Local laws may apply as well. Our town laws were the direct reason why one of our neighbors handled run-off from their recent construction as nicely as they did. As for our other slightly-uphill neighbor, the best solution has been to run a big plastic pipe from the fence area where we collect most of the water to a spot at one end of our front lawn; one of these years we'll do something that moves the same water in the same way but doesn't involve an ugly black pipe.

Heh. This is like a bar exam question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoteleskier View Post
    Since there's no HOA that probably means there's no CC&Rs to enforce on issues like this.
    What. No. You can have covenants without a HOA. Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    What. No. You can have covenants without a HOA. Happens all the time.
    This is just going off of plats I've worked on in OR, the HOA is generally the mechanism that enforces the CC&Rs. The city isn't going to deal with all the nitpicky little shit unless it's in violation of municipal code. Sounds like it's a different story in your neck of the woods.

That product from Lowes that you linked was what I was going to suggest.
    That is made by NPS, or something like that.

I have used a bunch of their products. They also make a french drain pipe that is wrapped in landscape fabric with foam peanuts in it- works really well as an easy french drain.

I would use that drain you linked, and build a small wall to make sure the water channels into the drain. 6" isn't much, but it seems like enough space, as long as there isn't a door that opens into that space. Any reason she can't build a small wall along that spot?

I have 3 sump pumps on my property that divert water away from the house directly to the street through underground PVC pipes. I am at the end of the line, and I get all of my neighbors' flow. It is legal to divert ground water directly to the street here. You can not divert water from the roof- that has to drain to the yard first.

Check to see what the neighbors' gutter situation is. This might be as simple as directing their gutter spill out somewhere away from the slab patio.

Not that I know Cali laws but in Ontario when I did a Real Property Law course the Lawyer/Teacher said ours laws are very much alike. If so in this cause, it's been said before. You can't cause damage to an adjacent property no matter what the distance. It the offending home owners obligation to correct this. Local city hall must have inspectors or what we have, by-laws officers that can inspect the situation and issue the correct notice.
    Good luck

I live in a neighborhood in CA with a lot of old houses. When we moved in our garage would flood every time it rained as that was the low point in my neighbors property. Jackass on that side would never even think of helping anyone but himself so that was a non-starter. We fixed it when we re-built our garage and driveway. Neighbor on the other side had the same problem from water from our yard. We fixed that with a French drain and a well engineered planter. Feels good every time it rains and I DON’T flood my neighbor’s garage so it was well worth the careful planning and minimal cost - plus we have a fantastic relationship on that property line which is priceless.

Talk to the neighbor, offer to pay for the project but the cheapest solution is on his side of the property line (would have to re-build the laundry room with a proper wall otherwise). If they are like me they’ll be happy to help. If they are like my fuckwad uphill neighbor they will not. You get what you deserve in life ultimately.

Water running into home from 0 lot line property next door, WWMD?

I have a low point in my yard lower than the drain causing a swamp. I dug a hole, put something like this in https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-So...yABEgLKlvD_BwE
    And Connected it to a hose I stuck in my drain.

Works like a charm, the rain activates it and removes the water.

It may be too big for your space but if you have a low point just dig a hole, use bags of pond stones and make the water channel into the low point where the pump is.

This is the one I actually have.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S6SJYN...a-398241896778

It moves a ton of water quick and can handle small debri. I use a washing machine hose for this.

How is it possible that there are 41 replies without asking for the key evidence necessary to decide on the right course of action???

Photos of daughter plz.

Does the neighbor have a hot wife, gf, or stripper daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I have a low point in my yard lower than the drain causing a swamp. I dug a hole, put something like this in https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-So...yABEgLKlvD_BwE
    And Connected it to a hose I stuck in my drain.

Works like a charm, the rain activates it and removes the water.

It may be too big for your space but if you have a low point just dig a hole, use bags of pond stones and make the water channel into the low point where the pump is.

This is the one I actually have.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S6SJYN...a-398241896778

It moves a ton of water quick and can handle small debri. I use a washing machine hose for this.
    I would put this at the end of the drain or french drain. Lower sells a ready made tub that you dig in, fill with pond stones, and plumb out to PVC lines. Super easy, and you don't have to worry about debris getting into the pump and clogging the lines.

I stepped it up on one of my pumps that kept getting outpaced by the water. We get quite a bit of rain very quickly here in the summer. In less than an hour, my backyard would be calf deep if the pump got overwhelmed. Look for a sewage pump for that scenario- it will have a 2" output pipe. Those things move some water. I fed it from 2" into a 3" pipe to the street. It used to be 1.5" pipe, and the pressure would shoot the water across the street like a fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoteleskier View Post
    This is just going off of plats I've worked on in OR, the HOA is generally the mechanism that enforces the CC&Rs. The city isn't going to deal with all the nitpicky little shit unless it's in violation of municipal code. Sounds like it's a different story in your neck of the woods.
    Yes, without an HOA it's up to the homeowner to hire a lawyer to enforce any CC&R's. Of course, this renders most CC&R's useless.

Lots of good suggestions here and a few dumb comments. A combination of the plastic french drain with sump pump is likely the way we will go.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

We live on a steep slope under Donner Ridge--a mountain that burned (thanks Caltrans) in the early 60's, was never reforested, and drains through 3 big culverts under I80 into our little subdivision. Originally there were 17 natural drainage channels. The water goes through the culverts where it goes various ways, depending on the state of repair of the culverts, which bend, and the lateral ditches they drain into.

It then hits the dirt road the PUD bulldozed across the hillside, through a wetland and with no provision for controlling runoff, which goes wherever it feels like, which varies from year to year. It then hits the lots above the road behind our house, where various owners have built houses which divert the runoff again.

Then it hits the little public road above our house (which the town refuses to maintain), where various homeowners and utilities have filled in the ditches on the uphill side of the road. Finally it goes across the road, flooding houses on the downhill side--again different properties different years. So far not ours. In addition, when Truckee improved the drainage along Donner Lake Rd they diverted the water into our sub. Various homeowners on the downhill side have built berms along the road above to protect their houses (and send the water to the neighbor next door).

Finally, after big storms, the water carries rocks and dirt onto and across Donner Pass Rd into Donner Lake. Some of the houses have sustained 10's of thousands in damages. But the neighbors can't seem to get their shit together to sue, which is unfortunately the only way this will be settled. Fortunately, I don't think there's enough soil on top of the bedrock to create a major mudslide, but I could be wrong.

Name:  mountain above Greenpointcomp.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  33.5 KB

I've always wondered why that slope had no replanting done.

I am housing jong, so please excuse.
    Could the flooding lead to black mold developing and spreading in the future?
    If so maybe get "authorities" involved now in case of expensive remedies/claims ahead??

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...