Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

reliable snow in the future?

squaw & vancouver falling in the warm zone
    calgary, salt lake city & lake placid predicted to have snow

From The New York Times:

Of 21 Winter Olympic Cities, Many May Soon Be Too Warm to Host the Games

Because of climate change, by midcentury many prior Winter Games locations may be too warm to ever host the Olympics again.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/11/climate/winter-olympics-global-warming.html

Thanks a lot trump...

These articles kind of crack me up. I mean, if the climate science is right we are going to have much bigger problems 50 years from now then figuring out where to host the next Olympic games.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    These articles kind of crack me up. I mean, if the climate science is right we are going to have much bigger problems 50 years from now then figuring out where to host the next Olympic games.
    Yeah, but those headlines are a bit more cheerful than "Tens of millions murdered in forced starvation camps near potential site of 2042 Winter Olympics"...
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Unhappy Worst condition of wheater near future

according to NASA Antarctic snow is melting more rapidly this cause raise in sea level in near future then the whole USA , Canada is in danger of strom ,floods and have snow fall

so if MSL rises, does that mean my ASL drops?

I figure Colorado will be one of the last places in the continental united states with a ski season
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Right... 'cause the Olympics and all of its accoutrement are really great for the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    This is a good point. Same deal for articles about ski areas / mountain towns and lost jobs due to climate change. Not that I *really* have a problem with it, but it feels a bit like polishing the brass on the Titanic.

Tourons and flatlands alike have seemed to like to visit more and more in the summer. The script may be flipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    so if MSL rises, does that mean my ASL drops?

I figure Colorado will be one of the last places in the continental united states with a ski season
    My money is on Montana. Our mountains are higher but theirs are further north. On the bright side Greenland probably has some amazing potential once that pesky glacier gets out of the way.

The prime winter season will probably get shorter

is snow really reliable now?

This article seems to be relies on temperature in cities, which matters more for the olympics than for skiing generally.

While it is pretty meaningless compared to the real problems that will be faced, I still want to know where good turns will be had in 30 years. I'd bet on northern/interior BC....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/c...2080-1.5014695

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Kinda interesting way to look at it....no idea of the veracity of the claims tho

Climate of North American cities will shift hundreds of miles in one generation
    https://phys.org/news/2019-02-climat...ies-shift.html

It’s already happening. New England summers over the last five years, are wet, humid and hot. Feels like the south
    crab in my shoe mouth

It really happens.
    I remember how 7 years ago most part of the winter was snow, sometimes there was so much of it that the traffic stopped, schooling was canceled, etc. Then -5, -7 and even -10 degrees was the norm. And in recent years, winter is not cold at all, there is no snow. Last winter I wore an autumn coat and I was not cold, because it was always +7 degrees outside.
    Very strange things are happening in the world now. In those countries where it has always been cold, it is now abnormally warm, while Africa is covered with snow in winter, like last year.

Still getting lots of snow up here in the rocky mountains. It varies every season obviously, but it's been "consistent" I would say

Arrow

wasatch was 300 this year

Quote Originally Posted by marxgucci View Post
    Maybe at the Alta snow stake if you squint at it hard.

Everywhere else in the Wasatch was less.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Maybe at the Alta snow stake if you squint at it hard.

Everywhere else in the Wasatch was less.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    30 inches of water equivalent at the Alta Guard station since October 1. That pencils out to more than 300 inches of snow at the ski area base.

I would buy the ~450" mid-mountain number the ski area claims.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by marxgucci View Post
    soli ended at 359
    b right on 425
    alta 473
    snowbird 442
    you suck at math jongbro
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Kinda interesting way to look at it....no idea of the veracity of the claims tho

Climate of North American cities will shift hundreds of miles in one generation
    https://phys.org/news/2019-02-climat...ies-shift.html
    So I looked at the average January and July highs for Kansas City (39, 89) and Minneapolis (22, 82). Minneapolis is shifted right to KC. I’m not sure I buy THAT amount of change.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    It’s already happening. New England summers over the last five years, are wet, humid and hot. Feels like the south
    Hmmm...nothing is & will be constant, locally. When the weather systems are less linear(W-->E) than in the near past, consistency is out the window...