Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Landslide Nightmares

After watching too much media coverage of the Monteceto landslide I went to bed listening to the heavy rain on my roof and proceeded to have endless nightmares of the hillside I live on crashing down around me.

Ugh.

So incredibly awful. The coverage of that one guy crying as he stared at the mud wondering where his mother was knowing she was undoubtedly buried in all that debris. Simply heartbreaking.

The boulders are insane:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Turn off the TV. Sweet dreams...
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Any day, Rattlesnake Ridge by Union Town is coming to come crashing down. That probably won't help your sleeping conditions.

Just the name Rattlesnake Ridge sounds bad.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Turn off the TV.
    this
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Any day, Rattlesnake Ridge by Union Town is coming to come crashing down. That probably won't help your sleeping conditions.
    It's only moving 1.5ft per day and the scientist say the quarry will catch it all so, no worries! After all, it's only 400 million kitchen ranges worth of dirt and basalt.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Sucks for them to dodge the fire only to be taken out by the rain. The loss of life here is the issue, the house is just a house...sure it sucks, as I now well know, but shit happens.

I agree, the best way to deal with this is to turn of the TV. I haven't watched TV (or Donald Trump) for a month now, and am much happier for it. There are advantages to having your house turned into an ash heap

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    It's only moving 1.5ft per day and the scientist say the quarry will catch it all so, no worries! After all, it's only 400 million kitchen ranges worth of dirt and basalt.
    Are these the same scientists that worked the Oso slide? What could go wrong??

Lightranger linked this great article by the esteemed John McPhee on FB today about LA's struggle with landslides/fire/homes. A really good read:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...he-mountains-i

I drive through that gap on a regular basis. I can assure the quarry isn't going to stop shit. Thats a big piece of mountain that's going to come down. And it's not moving in the direction of the quarry.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Are these the same scientists that worked the Oso slide? What could go wrong??
    It's gonna go before long.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Lightranger linked this great article by the esteemed John McPhee on FB today about LA's struggle with landslides/fire/homes. A really good read:
    from the article:

At least one family has experienced so many debris flows coming through their back yard that they long ago installed overhead doors in the rear end of their built-in garage. To guide the flows, they put deflection walls in their back yard. Now when the boulders come they open both ends of their garage, and the debris goes through to the street.

Guess they can't sell it because I can't figure out why you would stay. I know I wouldn't.

Anyone familiar with the Frank slide? Now that was a slide!

The Frank Slide was a rockslide that buried part of the mining town of Frank, Northwest Territories,[nb 1] Canada at 4:10 am on April 29, 1903. Over 82 million tonnes (90 million tons) of limestone rock slid down Turtle Mountain within 100 seconds, obliterating the eastern edge of Frank, the Canadian Pacific Railway line and the coal mine. It was one of the largest landslides in Canadian history and remains the deadliest, as between 70 and 90 of the town's residents were killed, most of whom remain buried in the rubble. Multiple factors led to the slide: Turtle Mountain's formation left it in a constant state of instability. Coal mining operations may have weakened the mountain's internal structure, as did a wet winter and cold snap on the night of the disaster.

I read an interview from someone in Montecito, a resident who said something like it usually takes 6-7 days to get a mudslide and this took one hour. One single hour. No wonder people were sleeping through it if they think it will take days to build up. Not sure if the resident was correct though.

Here's a connected article to the one Meadowskipper posted. It shows the Genofiles' home (the subject of much of the article). I dunno, doesn't look like all that spectacular of a place to live but what do I know?

La Crescenta Against the Mountains: In the Footsteps of John McPhee

Anyone familiar with the Frank slide? Now that was a slide!

The Frank Slide was a rockslide that buried part of the mining town of Frank, Northwest Territories,[nb 1] Canada at 4:10 am on April 29, 1903. Over 82 million tonnes (90 million tons) of limestone rock slid down Turtle Mountain within 100 seconds, obliterating the eastern edge of Frank, the Canadian Pacific Railway line and the coal mine. It was one of the largest landslides in Canadian history and remains the deadliest, as between 70 and 90 of the town's residents were killed, most of whom remain buried in the rubble. Multiple factors led to the slide: Turtle Mountain's formation left it in a constant state of instability. Coal mining operations may have weakened the mountain's internal structure, as did a wet winter and cold snap on the night of the disaster.
    Its an eerie place to drive through. Fascinating as well. One of the more interesting points of that disaster is the local natives called it the moving mountain (or something along those lines) and refused to camp near the area.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FRANK_SLIDE_20130716.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	221146

People around Big Sur have some tails to tell too.

Has anyone skied La Plagne, France? It has the weirdest topography of any ski resort I have ever seen, I spent a week there trying to figure it out, then on the last day I saw it from a different angle and realized it was an absolutely huge landslide, like a whole side of a mountain slide, probably way back in the thousands of years ago. Suddenly the whole place made sense.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I read an interview from someone in Montecito, a resident who said something like it usually takes 6-7 days to get a mudslide and this took one hour. One single hour. No wonder people were sleeping through it if they think it will take days to build up. Not sure if the resident was correct though.
    They had plenty of warning. There were flashing warnings the whole previous day, but like most of California, they figured it wasn't going to happen to them (myself included, at least fire wise, we are in good shape for flooding.)

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    People around Big Sur have some tails to tell too.
    The California coast in general has issues. I grew up in a town near LA on the coast that had large parts sliding (with homes) in to the ocean pretty regularly. And going to college up in Arcata, Humboldt County was regularly cut off for weeks by landslides on US 101 and CA 299, leaving the only highway out through Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That's the final essay in 'The Control of Nature' collection, great book.

I was listening to NPR last night and one of the news people said 'Even Oprah wasn't immune to the mudslide'. WTF?

Serious question - where are you seeing actual news coverage of this?

All the 24/7 cable news outlets don't seem to give a shit.

I only watch morning news but it's all over that
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    That's the final essay in 'The Control of Nature' collection, great book.

I was listening to NPR last night and one of the news people said 'Even Oprah wasn't immune to the mudslide'. WTF?
    Yeah saw that there were multiple parts and that the article was from 1988. I'd like to read a follow-up from 1989 to present.

BTW - didn't you know Oprah is omnipotent? Saw a clip of her on the news saying something to the effect "I'm going to manage the best I can to get through this". <roll eyes> Yeah... like move to one of your other homes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Serious question - where are you seeing actual news coverage of this?

All the 24/7 cable news outlets don't seem to give a shit.
    Both CBS and NBC nightly news have covered it for two nights now.

We should be hearing the Donald offering his condolences and help any day now.