Ski wax alternatives

I’m getting blitzed with two products.
    The first is a DPS one application thing. The second is a rub on stick.

Whose tried them and can give feedback? I’m not running gates anymore, but there are days where my kids lack of weight stalls him on the flats and wax makes a big difference. TGR, here’s a good product review idea for you!

Yep, I’ve been there and didn’t find anything on the new products. I then considered posting there, but figured a product that claims you’ll never need to wax again was worthy of the main forum. But whatever Jong, nothing on this page is ever new, and your cooler than me and I’ll concede that point.

Now, has anyone used one of these new miracle products and do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Yep, I’ve been there and didn’t find anything on the new products. I then considered posting there, but figured a product that claims you’ll never need to wax again was worthy of the main forum. But whatever Jong, nothing on this page is ever new, and your cooler than me and I’ll concede that point.

Now, has anyone used one of these new miracle products and do they work?
    well Phantom from DPS just starting actually hitting customers and store shelves, so hard to say if is works as advertised of not...if you truly looked in tech talk there is a huge thread on the Phantom product.

As for rub ons? Well.....they work for a few runs, then reapply. Phantom is a "rub on" but apparently soaks into base permanent like.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    nothing on this page is ever new,
    probably because Jongs like you keep regurgitating the same old topics

search function is hard i know
    but by searching just one word look what I found!

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=phantom

looks like its been discussed since october!

I was desperate a couple days last spring when we were sticking and almost going over the handlebars when we skied from shade to sun. Tried some rub on. It basically sucked for too high a price. Even tried rub on and corking. Couldn't find the silver soft rub on we used when we were kids...That stuff worked.

There will never be a base that does not need cleaning and waxing. Clean the crap off, hot wax, scrape and buff for the day's conditions.

Is the rub-on Fast Stik? A couple of friends of mine have started that and I've been provided a sample of it. It works well, faster than my normal wax (base of Hertel Super Hot Sauce with LF7 on top) but it's a half-day application. It's pretty hard so a stick of it seems to last forever. But it's also pretty expensive at $64.99 on their website. It's nice to have but I don't know that I'd spend that much on it.

https://faststik.com/

ETA (From a later post): I'm retracting what I said about the price on Fast Stik. It's actually pretty amazing how many applications you get out of a stick of this. Typically, you can get about 50 days of waxing at twice per day application from a stick or about $0.35 per application. Compared to traditional wax, that's pretty good, not to mention the less hassle aspect, even assuming you already have tuning gear and a place to work on skis. Really, not a bad deal.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 02-12-2018 at 08:10 PM.

I would recommend rubbing one off before rubbing anything on your base. And you can do that Phantom trick with a brake retainer/rubber band and save yourself $100.

bacon grease
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    bacon grease
    ...but only for spring and summer skiing in bear habitat.

I'm not sure I want to go faster than I already do so I never use wax.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^You need a permit for that.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    No shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    How would they even know you didnt pull a permit for that....its laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Is the rub-on Fast Stik? A couple of friends of mine have started that and I've been provided a sample of it. It works well, faster than my normal wax (base of Hertel Super Hot Sauce with LF7 on top) but it's a half-day application. It's pretty hard so a stick of it seems to last forever. But it's also pretty expensive at $64.99 on their website. It's nice to have but I don't know that I'd spend that much on it.

https://faststik.com/
    I'm retracting what I said about the price on Fast Stik. It's actually pretty amazing how many applications you get out of a stick of this. Typically, you can get about 50 days of waxing at twice per day application from a stick or about $0.35 per application. Compared to traditional wax, that's pretty good, not to mention the less hassle aspect, even assuming you already have tuning gear and a place to work on skis. Really, not a bad deal.

I was on a hut trip and one of the crew had just treated a set of DPS with Phantom, he was waxing eloquent NO he was raving on about Phantom but I think it was an inconclusive test really and it should be noted ... he is a DPS dealer

we had 40cms of new at just above zero and then it went to -25C and the last day was -15 ish he seemed to be sliding ok, the bases look like any other waxed base, skin application was fine didn't leave any residue but then we got noting to compare it to and I don't think the skins had been leaving any glue cuz all his shit is always new

He did take out the guide/hut operator's DPS 106 to treat which will be an interesting real life day in day out acid test of the product in real life conditions,

Being a DPS dealer there have always been a lot of dentists, doctors, lawyers, accountants wanting to give him money and I predict he will sell a lot of this stuff, I asked what is selling and he said " anything DPS or Arcterxy " he told me DPS is the single biggest product he has ever sold in 15 yrs of selling skis and bikes

I think its all gods way of telling you ...you have too much money
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So, I bit the bullet and am really trying FastStik. I am just getting started with it but so far, I'm really impressed. I started with cleaning my bases with a steel brush to clear the structure then followed with three applications, corked and nylon brushed between apps and skied the next day. Wow! My ski glide was phenomenal and lasted all day. With that base build, I now expect it's basically an application in the morning, nylon brush, and enjoy the day. I'll carry it with me in case I want a mid-day refresh but I am sold; this stuff is changing my ski prep.

Depending on temperature, base structure has a big affect on slide. Swix paste works well. Use a scotchbrite if you need to buff it. I have an oil based wax that works well in warm spring conditions. It's messy though so best applied at the lift.

I was always a Zardoz NotWax man. It really gets you moving in spring glop for about 2500 vertical feet before it wears off.

A former racer friend of mine claimed the fastest base in subzero weather would be one that was totally wax-free.