Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: CO colleges?

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Thanks, that's good info. I'd like to steer them away from schools that don't have a great reputation in the market in whatever areas they end up studying.

The school I went to had a so-so business school. The accounting & finance grads did well, but marketing and business admin. majors not so much, nobody was going to top-tier companies, they usually got some shitty entry-level sales job or went to work for daddy's business.
    I think that's most for mkt and ba degrees since the pool is so damn huge regardless of where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I think that's most for mkt and ba degrees since the pool is so damn huge regardless of where you go.
    Srsly. Aren't those the "Women's Studies" and "Art History" degrees of the business world?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    True, but they still were not getting the same level of jobs the kids coming out of Indiana U's business school were. (a top-rated public university B-school)

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I have to throw in a check out Western plug if you are looking at small intimate schools. Miss Teleee is a proff here and the quality of academia this small liberal arts school tucked in the middle of nowhere is truly impressive.People are willing to take big pay cuts to live here in the mountains. Not to mention the small personalized attention students receive. She went from class sizes of 350 in her intro classes at CSU to 35 here in Gunnison. That being said this place isnt for everyone, it is small and intimate. I.E. everyone knows everyone and their business. They roll up the sidewalks at 9 during the week and at 10 on the weekends. But the students who do come here and appreciate the small life, the individual attention they recieve and the seriously fantastic facilities seem to really excel academically and socially. Not to mention world class skiing, biking, and fishing.
    DAMN! I should join the Western recruiting team.
    Sounds great, but I think the winters in Gunnison would kill them. They are not hardy stock, they get that from their mother.

Why UNC at the bottom? Twin one what's to go to a big school, so she's looking at CU and CSU. Twin two is still clueless, but we're pretty she'll be happier in a small school setting. Neither are big into the party scene, FWIW.
    Greeley. It smells.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    One thing to consider is that status/ name recognition of colleges varies locally and nationally, as does the quality of alumni networks. For example if you are going to live in Boston, a degree from Boston College will get you as far as a degree from all but the most elite hand full of schools. But it doesn't have nearly the same cred elsewhere in the country. DU and CSU will likely serve you very well if you're planning to stay pretty local after college. My sense is that CU and CC have more national recognition even if the quality of education for a particular area of study isn't all that different.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    I would argue that DU has more national pull than CU. I'm from the east coast and quite literally the only thing people know about CU is that its a big time party school with legal weed. Having just gone through the whole recruiting process for landing a first job, most of my interactions suggested that a degree from DU stands out more than one from CU/CSU. Still great schools, and as I said, I have many friends with great jobs right out of CU. Just would disagree on your comments with regards to the perception.
    In my field (law) that certainly isn't true, but can't speak for other field in other regions.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Greeley. It smells.
    Poo?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Poo?

Poo. Dead cows. Other dead shit. It just smells... midwestern. NTTAWWT.

I have some work up in Greeley. The town and smell aren't as bad as the reputation. But it sure as hell isn't where I'd want to go to college.

I have some work up in Greeley. The town and smell aren't as bad as the reputation. But it sure as hell isn't where I'd want to go to college.
    It's only when the wind blows from a particular direction... and it can get pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    I would argue that DU has more national pull than CU. I'm from the east coast and quite literally the only thing people know about CU is that its a big time party school with legal weed. Having just gone through the whole recruiting process for landing a first job, most of my interactions suggested that a degree from DU stands out more than one from CU/CSU. Still great schools, and as I said, I have many friends with great jobs right out of CU. Just would disagree on your comments with regards to the perception.

FWIW if I were to do it again, I'd be hard pressed to turn down CU for DU even given what I just said.
    I disagree.

DUs business school is a joke. Look at average starting salaries of DU MBAs vs CU MBAs.

How many Nobel prizes has DU won?

Not saying CU is great. I do think it is getting better and it is certainly a better institution than DU.

DU does have hockey and lacrosse going for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It's only when the wind blows from a particular direction... and it can get pretty bad.
    Yeah, not saying it doesn't exist. But most of the time its non-existent or barely there. From the way people talk about Greeley in Boulder I was expecting 1980's Beirut with knee deep cow shit in the streets. I shouldn't have underestimated Boulderite elitism.

Being local and my friend group is mostly CU-Denver/CU-Boulder/DU/and Mines grads...
    I have no idea why anyone would go to DU unless you are doing Law School or to play sports preferably on a scholarship of some sort. CU beats them out in pretty much every other department, and they have no medical school or nursing for that matter.
    My friends who went to DU did NOT want the big college experience such as CU-Boulder. They are engineers, and they loved DU but payed the $ for it. DU campus is very nice, small, and it is definitely not a college town or anywhere surrounding it because you just get encompassed by Denver. Pioneer and Illegal Pete's do not count as "college bars".
    CU-Boulder engineer friends loved the scene because it is a bigger college that feels college townish. Engineering friends from CU got the same jobs as the DU friends.
    Mines friends: My two friends that went to Mines, one for Physics the other for EE..they went there SOLELY because they were on scholarship/grants. There is zero college social scene, almost no females(the physics major friend was a female), it is the nerd of the nerds. With that said, my friends who went there wouldn't of done well in the "big" college town such as Boulder(which isn't a college town compared to say...Columbus, Ohio). As soon as you tell someone you go to Mines, they are automatically going to infer that one has zero social awareness or capabilities.
    Mines friends got the same jobs as DU friends who got the same opportunities as CU friends.
    I'm not a grad from any of them, as I went to school out of Colorado. I'm trying to give my opinion of what I have encountered since living in Colorado over the years.

Not much mention (beyond a sentence or two) of Colorado College. If they are looking for small liberal arts, CC is their best (only?) real option in the state. Depending on how you look at it, the block plan - one class at a time for 3.5 weeks, then 5 days off before doing it again, 4 times a semester) - is either awesome or awful. For me it was awful - I just found that I couldn’t learn (or rather retain) anything after cramming for 3.5 weeks, but others loved it. I’ll admit that 5 day weekend block breaks every month were amazing. Happy to talk more if needed. PM me. Ended up leaving after Freshman year for Middlebury in VT before coming back to CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I disagree.

DUs business school is a joke. Look at average starting salaries of DU MBAs vs CU MBAs.

How many Nobel prizes has DU won?

Not saying CU is great. I do think it is getting better and it is certainly a better institution than DU.

DU does have hockey and lacrosse going for it though.
    Having been through DU's business school, I can confirm that it's certainly not a joke however I will say there are far too many kids from rich families that think they'll follow right in daddy's footsteps so long as they make it through college. No doubt a factor that skews the data. But at 3 spots 'better' in the recent Business Week rankings, Leeds isn't exactly blowing us out of the water.

Again, I didn't go to CU so I cant specifically comment on the differences. I fully understand that CU offers a strong alternative to DU and I'm certainly not pointing figures and calling your program a "joke". Just touching on what I know about how DU vs CU is viewed in areas outside of the greater Denver area. CU is a great school, but it carries a lot of stereotypes.

At least your mascot isn't banned though.

My wife went to DU and CU. She’s real smart. I went to CSU, metro, Utah Valley, and CMC. I’m kinda dumb but I have fun anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, not saying it doesn't exist. But most of the time its non-existent or barely there. From the way people talk about Greeley in Boulder I was expecting 1980's Beirut with knee deep cow shit in the streets. I shouldn't have underestimated Boulderite elitism.
    Don't blame Boulderite elitism... *everybody* that hasn't been/lived in Greely likes to joke about its shitholiness.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Don't blame Boulderite elitism... *everybody* that hasn't been/lived in Greely likes to joke about its shitholiness.
    Yeah, what's that all about. Greeley is a common front range punching bag, has nothing to do with Boulder.

Wind from NNE =Greeley Breeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why UNC at the bottom? Twin one what's to go to a big school, so she's looking at CU and CSU. Twin two is still clueless, but we're pretty she'll be happier in a small school setting. Neither are big into the party scene, FWIW.
    UNC at the bottom because it is in Greeley, if they want that kind of city they should stay in the MW.

Just my POV but when I went to college, I wanted it to feel like a college atmosphere not just school plopped down somewhere. To me that is CU, CSU and to a lesser extent DU. The whole reputation thing, to me, is a joke for undergrad (different for grad school).

Don’t think I ever saw a reason for CO, is there one? If not and “the West” works, what about places like Northern Arizona, Gonzaga, UW, U of Puget Sound, etc?

Neither ski, go figure.

Seems this should be the answer, at least for dad paying OOST.

Get out of the city, Colorado Mountain College, Spring Valley has a BS in Nursing with really high placement. Or take the AA with guaranteed transfer credits which transfers to the other state schools. Or do the same in Steamboat. Pricing is super competitive, even for out of state students.

Tip, I have some CU engineering undergrads, along with some education students, working as interns on a project with me. Its a cool project, although in no way aerospace related. If you and your daughter come out to visit and the schedule works, she could probably come to a work session.
    Awesome. If she goes I'll be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    Get out of the city, Colorado Mountain College, Spring Valley has a BS in Nursing with really high placement. Or take the AA with guaranteed transfer credits which transfers to the other state schools. Or do the same in Steamboat. Pricing is super competitive, even for out of state students.
    It also gives you time to establish residency.