Replacement for 3-5 year old Patagonia Capilene 1 baselayer top?

What have you guys found that fits and feels like the Capilene 1 (silkweight) baselayer tops from 3-5 years ago? The new Patagonia Lightweight and Cap Daily tops, just don't have the same feel.
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 01-10-2018 at 09:43 AM.

If I can’t free ball it, I usually go with Trojan brand...very silky!!!

I’m still a fan of the capilene but if you are looking for lightweight base checkout Icebreaker

2nd icebreaker if you like wool, but it don't feel like ltwt capilene. Any tight ltwt wool for me works best, but you like the patagooch..
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Charmin

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    2nd icebreaker if you like wool, but it don't feel like ltwt capilene. Any tight ltwt wool for me works best, but you like the patagooch..
    Capilenes have held up way better than my wool layers. And I prefer the feel.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Capilenes have held up way better than my wool layers. And I prefer the feel.
    Yep, wool won't last the way capilene does. Dealbreaker for some.

Have you considered a new Patty shirt with these?

Name:  nipeaze-nipple-cover-product-box-559x747.png
Views: 557
Size:  383.2 KB

smartwool's nts 150 layer are super cozy, but of course not as durable

Funken, if you are ok with wool give the Icebreaker Anatomica long sleeve a go. I got the T to wear under my road jerseys on cool days and it fits skin tight (like IB's old baselayers which I now find are too loose). But what makes these last way longer than 100% merino is fact they are spun with a bit of lycra and a bit of poly. I think they are about 85% wool. Anyway, great, thin, light, tight baselayer.

Ive had icebreaker, ibex, and stoic wool base layers.

Smartwool nts is by far my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Friend of mine used to be the product manager for Patagonia's fishing category and is now running this company in Portland, ME.

https://12wt.com/sunwt-shirt-black-logo/

Patagonia really screwed the pooch on the new cap line as well as the naming/branding. Cap "daily" is the closest weight/feel to the old silk weight, but it's just not the same. Slightly thinner, little less stretch, slightly shorter arms and no thumb loops. The "lightweight" is even thinner and makes my nipples hurt on the hill. Like runner's nipple rash. Stupid. I ended up keeping one daily, one lightweight and buying a cross-trek 1/4 zip to replace an old R1 which they also fucked up last year. It wouldn't hurt to send them your feedback. I love Patagonia, but I think they try so hard to be "environmentally conscious" they screw shit up that they shouldn't have changed in the first place--the stuff that works. Wouldn't hurt to let them know they should bring it back. Long shot, but they at least acknowledge customer feedback. I should have bought more of that silkweight when it was on sale a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Ive had icebreaker, ibex, and stoic wool base layers.

Smartwool nts is by far my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'll check out the nts.

3 possibilities are the Marmot Kestrel, North Face Light, and Helly Hansen LIFA stripe ( I own a couple and they are pretty comfy and have held up really well).
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 01-12-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Older Capilene shows up on Ebay too, I've gotten some good deals. It's surprising how much the fit has changed (multiple times) over the last 10 years, so I look there for replacements of what I have that works.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Older Capilene shows up on Ebay too, I've gotten some good deals. It's surprising how much the fit has changed (multiple times) over the last 10 years, so I look there for replacements of what I have that works.
    Nice, just scored one on eBay this morning.