Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Didn’t see this link in the thread yet: http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/f...pinist-Binding

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Additional pics from another thread dropped in here for convenience

Quote Originally Posted by WincentY View Post
    New binding Marker Alpinist, 245g:

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Sorry if i missed it but any word on whether it’s the same hole pattern as the og king pin (minus the lever hole)?

So, the only reason that people aren't frothing at the gash for this one is that instead of being a totally new concept and a game changer, it's just more of the same of what's already on the market but only slightly better, slightly cheaper, and slightly lighter...? Does this mean everyone on here is going to laugh at me for considering them? I'm just after something light that locks out and is cheap enough to not matter too much if I only get a couple of seasons out of them before they start to wobble.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

^^ My thought exactly.
    The anti-marker crowd came out swinging in the beginning of this thread, but I felt that this might be a really nice piece of kit (at least once it has 1 season+ under its belt..).
    I am thinking an upgrade from my Speed Radicals in 1 year or two.

At some point in the future I can see myself getting some of these on a pair of light-ish steep skis, and some Salomon Shifts on something heavier and fatter, and being content enough with 2 pairs of skis for a while.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Marker Super duper light AT touring bindings gear fappage thread

I think these look like a pretty interesting option - adjustable release heel with bsl length adjustment and option of running brakes at reasonable weight.
    I’m a big fan of ssl 1.0 and this addresses its two shortcomings - brakes and bsl adjustment. I cant stand the ramp angle of adding a heel adjustment plate and upgrading (and redrilling) to the ssl 2.0 for just the brake option doesn’t make sense.
    The need to rotate to switch heel risers is possibly a deal killer for me though - never used to use higher one on ssl but an achilles injury has me reaching for it more and more.

Firstly, kudos to Lee for turning up all of this information.

My reason for cynicism isn't due to the non-revolutionary nature of the product, but rather to the Kingpin's uninspiring track record.

To be fair, it's hard (impossible?) to weed through the Kingpin's failure statistics especially when trying to factor out the IAF (internet amplification factor).

Having said that, here we are in the third year of the Kingpin, with the toe pin problem likely having been solved (although a new one surfacing), but with another pair of catastrophic failure modes rearing their ugly heads - the heel/track interface (both the track as well as the heel part of the interface).

Who knows? Maybe this binding addresses the latter problem relating to composite materials - getting both lighter and stronger.

If I were looking for a light tech binding this year or next however, my money would be on the likes of G3, ATK, Dynafit, etc.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

https://www.friflyt.no/Ski/17-fakta-...arker-Alpinist

More info on Friflyt.

Main points: zero ramp angle, the toe has the same screw pattern as the Kingpin. Single spring in the toe is to reduce build-up of ice

These look pretty sweet. The heel riser rotation dealio is alittle bit of a bummer but the reality is you simply pick the riser that fits the approach and flip the lever less, adjust technique and likely be forced to be more efficient. not a bad thing.

The price is quite attractive, and its only 40g per binding heavier than a BD Helios 200 (aka ATK Haute Route 2.0) that costs 50% more, although the latter has a decent high riser. I don't think either can be turned with a ski pole.

Of course (the Fischer version of) the Dynafit TLT Superlite 2.0 is a 40g lighter than the BDs while keeping the adjustability, same problem with the lack of high riser... but missing the flush/elastic travel... for only a little more $. Can you turn that heel with a pole?

Can you force these into tour without ejecting the toe a-la the pole shaft twist that worked with the Comforts and Verticals?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Anybody get much time on the Alpinist last season? I'm having a deep internal debate on Zeds or the Alpinist for my skinny/light touring setup this year...

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Anybody get much time on the Alpinist last season? I'm having a deep internal debate on Zeds or the Alpinist for my skinny/light touring setup this year...
    Skied them a fair bit on Volkl 94bmt.
    Simple
    Ski well down
    Not broken yet
    Dislikes:
    Skinning in heavy snow tall riser flips up constantly
    Tall riser not that tall
    Have to rotate the fuckers by hand between tour/ski mode

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I got 40+ days. I really wanted to find something bad to say but they've been fine.

- Brakes deploy well. They're shallow like old style Dynafits but work otherwise

- the little rope pull tabs on the rear both broke fairly quickly. I just pull them with my gloves fingers

- don't need to lock out toes when skinning so that's nice for potential releases if caught in a slide skinning

- hick I don't even bother turning the heel around 180 deg mode when going from ski to tour as I'm lazy. I've only clicked back in when stomping an icy side hill and that doesn't happen too often

Crampons slot takes Dynafit pons which is convenient. Doesn't need a plastic doohickey like Solly Mtn or Atomic Backland

Downhill retention pretty good when flat landing Sol Mountain Monashee pillows and skiing 50 deg hardpack

All in all these have been a solid binding.

Mtn mo better

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Downhill retention pretty good when flat landing Sol Mountain Monashee pillows and skiing 50 deg hardpack

All in all these have been a solid binding.
    Hah, I’ve got ion LTs on a premium dentist ski for flat landing Sol pillows

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Mtn mo better

I have both so can actually speak from personal experience. They're both good. What makes MTN better?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I have both so can actually speak from personal experience. They're both good. What makes MTN better?
    I was just joking, a little

But i think the mtn is great, no drawbacks at all

Can anyone confirm that the long travel version has the same heel pattern as Kingpins? Thinking of dropping a pair of these into some Kingpin holes on some skis that don't have much more room for holes.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the long travel version has the same heel pattern as Kingpins? Thinking of dropping a pair of these into some Kingpin holes on some skis that don't have much more room for holes.
    Oh also curious about this. I hadn't heard that

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Can't help you on the heel holes, but putting an alpinist toe in kingpin holes will put your boot about 7mm further forwards just fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Can't help you on the heel holes, but putting an alpinist toe in kingpin holes will put your boot about 7mm further forwards just fyi.
    Good to know. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Just got my skis back from an alpinist mount. One day in, and so far great, light years better feel than old radical st 10 I was on. Actually feel like I can sense and pressure my tips and balls of my feet....anyways....

Found this package of plastic stuffed in my boot when it was returned to me from mount - what are these things? Should they have been installed? Presumably it’s from inside the alpinist box somewhere....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05D6A725-2534-4BB2-ACA1-CFE9D0A49F7B.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	604.2 KB 
ID:	359037
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

They're the support spacers that fill the gap under the rear edge of the toe bases if the crampon bracket is not installed.

I just dropped off my skis and alpinists at the shop to get mounted. Planning on going with leashes. Is it possible to install a leash (probably B&D) on the alpinist toe after it’s been installed? Or will I need to unscrew the toe later?