Pain in the ass MCL injury

Tore my MCL (Grade 2, no surgery) right near the C-1 lift at Baker last February. Did the whole PT circuit, got my second MRI in October, and was cleared by the ortho as fully healed. Despite all this, it still hurts like hell. Doc says he's never seen an MCL tear take this long to recover and wasn't able to give a clear reason for the pain. I didn't exactly take it easy during the "recovery" process, but almost a year with continued pain seems excessive and I have a heli trip planned next month.

Anybody have any ideas on why I'm still in pain? I originally thought scar tissue, but would have assumed the PT would have broken that up already. Thinking cortisone shot as the next alternative. Thoughts?

A couple of ideas.

1 - Sounds somewhat like my injury in that it represented a lot like an MCL ( and probably was in part and MCL Spain). I ended up having a meniscus tear in the capsule edge of posterior horn - basically tore right at area of interaction MCL and meniscus.
    The radiologist did see a tear in meniscus so maybe not if your MRI didn’t show something.

2 Deep MCL tear? Found this when researching explanations for my injury. http://www.boneandjoint.org.uk/conte...teral-ligament

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    A couple of ideas.

1 - Sounds somewhat like my injury in that it represented a lot like an MCL ( and probably was in part and MCL Spain). I ended up having a meniscus tear in the capsule edge of posterior horn - basically tore right at area of interaction MCL and meniscus.
    The radiologist did see a tear in meniscus so maybe not if your MRI didn’t show something.

2 Deep MCL tear? Found this when researching explanations for my injury. http://www.boneandjoint.org.uk/conte...teral-ligament

Thanks for the reply and info. I was also wondering if meniscus could be the issue. I’ve read that it may not always come up on the MRI. Did you end up getting surgery or PT only?

Pain in the ass MCL injury

Quote Originally Posted by Swandog View Post
    Thanks for the reply and info. I was also wondering if meniscus could be the issue. I’ve read that it may not always come up on the MRI. Did you end up getting surgery or PT only?
    I tried PT, at first on my own and then a couple months of intensive professional. Also had a steroid shot. I’d rest it, ice it, baby it, do strengthening exercises, etc and it’d feel great. Then I’d go back to full activity and whamm, back to swelling, stiffness, pain.

The steroid shot sorta helped and then when it started to wear off, back to the cycle. No believe the MCL would not have improved from the steroid.

I had a meniscus repair on 12/12, so still on crutches. Read the MCL/meniscus thread for lots of stories meniscus or MCL tear/experiences.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=187781

In your case, if they don’t see anything on the MRI, maybe the deep MCL thing. Get a 2nd and 3rd surgeon read of the MRI and assessment. The surgeon that I went with was skeptical about going straight for surgery and pushed PT until I came asking for the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

That's one hell of an MCL tear if your ass hurts.

I'll take your seat on the heli, that should help.

PRP injection then stem cell injection (or just stem cell injection) would be my recommendation if you've exhausted the PT route. Cortisone shots are puny in comparison, and even can do more damage to the joint depending on the cocktail and location.

If it doesn't work, you can always have the surgery afterwards.

If you want an alternate theory besides MCL or meniscus, a bone bruise can take over a year to heal.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos