Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Just ordered a pair. Does this year's binding come with multiple stop pad options or just the one and I have to buy the kit separately?
    New ones are coming will all the stomp pads.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    did you just get in touch with customer service and was it easy?
    Buddy at a shop hooked me up. Not sure how he got his hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpringle View Post
    The riser stomp pad is just sarcasm, eh? Hard to tell anymore, lol.?
    Think critically about it , millions of ski boots have been suspended between toe pincers and heel pins in mid air ever since the tech binding was invented,

But when a user breaks both bindings probably due to material failure on a new binding instead of just saying the material was suspect g3 tells everybody that suddenly tech bindings need a stomp pad after what 20 yrs and millions tech binding usage with no stomp pad
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    New ones are coming will all the stomp pads.
    Awesome. Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    If it doesn’t come with multiple options - the kit is a whopping $0.00

https://us-store.genuineguidegear.co...-stomp-pad-kit
    Good price, too bad they dont have any. I would have had to buy some from somebody. Skimo co sells them for $4. Its less about the money and more about the waiting to see if they were in the package, then having to wait for them to get here to go on a tour.

I have 18/19 Zeds, and just emailed G3 about the new 19/20 springs. Received a prompt response and they will be shipping me the new springs free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Think critically about it , millions of ski boots have been suspended between toe pincers and heel pins in mid air ever since the tech binding was invented,

But when a user breaks both bindings probably due to material failure on a new binding instead of just saying the material was suspect g3 tells everybody that suddenly tech bindings need a stomp pad after what 20 yrs and millions tech binding usage with no stomp pad
    My understanding was that they were designed to use stomp pads all along, and the running change that was made was to add two optional thicker sizes once they realized the original ones didn't mate up to all boot heels as well as they'd thought. While you're right that plenty of tech bindings have worked fine without a stomp pad, I don't really see them designing a binding to use one as a negative if they hold up when used properly.

I'm betting you couldn't get a couple of G3 engineers to agree on the need for a stomp pad on a tech binding becuz the Tech binding has not used stomp pads forever, the G3 stomp pad ^^ came about as something made up to mitigate the fallout of a highly dramatic TGR post which worked BUT ... its all complete bulshit

Yeah, I remember that thread. But the idea of a stomp pad wasn't something that they came up with in response. Not installing the already extant stomp pad was determined to be the root cause.

if you believe that ^^ I got some water front land to sell you

All I know for sure is that they were shipping with one set of stomp pads before that breakage occurred. I'm pretty sure they weren't doing that to take up space in the box.

Yeah, they were definitely shipping stomp pads right from the beginning, before the infamous heel turret explosion.

Welp - to make this all the more confusing for ya'll. 19/20 pair arrived without any stomp pads at all.

https://www.genuineguidegear.com/lif...2-updates-2019
    19/20 updates:
    -no need for stomp pads
    -fixed the slop in touring mode with riser

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Good price, too bad they dont have any. I would have had to buy some from somebody. Skimo co sells them for $4. Its less about the money and more about the waiting to see if they were in the package, then having to wait for them to get here to go on a tour.
    Ahhh shit my bad - I'd agree with you
    Last edited by TripleT; 11-01-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Unless a "stomp pad" can be finely adjusted to kiss the boot sole, it's just marketing bullshit and does nothing.

And if it can be adjusted to touch the boot sole, it could interfere with release. So pick your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Unless a "stomp pad" can be finely adjusted to kiss the boot sole, it's just marketing bullshit and does nothing.

And if it can be adjusted to touch the boot sole, it could interfere with release. So pick your poison.
    No comment on whether it's useful or not. It cannot be finely adjusted, but does come in different sizes. https://www.genuineguidegear.com/lif...akeless-skiing

But considering G3 "fixed" it for 19/20...

Good on G3 for responding to the glitches in the first generation of Zeds, but it confirms what I thought we all knew, don’t buy the first year of any binding unless you want to be an unpaid gear tester.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Welp - to make this all the more confusing for ya'll. 19/20 pair arrived without any stomp pads at all.

https://www.genuineguidegear.com/lif...2-updates-2019
    19/20 updates:
    -no need for stomp pads
    -fixed the slop in touring mode with riser

Ahhh shit my bad - I'd agree with you
    Yeah mine didn't either. Thought it was an error but I guess not.

I'm a big guy (225lbs) so I think I still want them just for power transfer.

Apparantly they updated the brakes too so they dont feel so weak. I'd like to see those.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

FWIW: 19/20 Zed
    Toe + heel (no brakes, no stomp pad) + screws = 372 g

Reviving this thread to report my findings. I put some 19/20 Zeds on a pair of large skis (118 under foot/190cm length) and have been really loving them. Unfortunately, both brakes broke on me yesterday. I read somewhere that they changed the brakes this year. Anybody have any info on the relative strength/durability of the old and new version brakes?

broke both brakes? dayum. i would have thought they had included updated ones on that pair. g3 customer service has been good to all, get in touch.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Didn't buy directly from G3, so not sure about which version I have. The brakes are sold separately, so could have come from old stock. Just ordered a set from G3. Will report back after I road test them a bit. Hoping I don't have to resort to leashes.

Aside from the stomp pad and brakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200226_125145.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	872.9 KB 
ID:	318062
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200226_125211.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	318063

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    Didn't buy directly from G3, so not sure about which version I have. The brakes are sold separately, so could have come from old stock. Just ordered a set from G3. Will report back after I road test them a bit. Hoping I don't have to resort to leashes.
    Circling back on this. The Zed brakes this year have a manufacturing defect. The pressed in pin under the AFD plate, which serves as the spring retainer for the brakes, works itself loose when you tour in flat mode (i.e., no lifter). I went through 3 sets of these brakes, each of them failing in the same way on the first day I tried to use the flat touring mode, before I resorted to fixing them myself. If you're having this issue (or want to avoid this issue before it happens to you), procure a couple of appropriately sized machine screws and nylock nuts. Press the pin out with a small screwdriver or allen key (it comes out way too easy, which is the reason for the issue to begin with), and replace with the screw and nut. You'll probably need to cut the screw to length (I started with a 1" screw length, had to cut off less than a CM) and file off the threads where the spring travels when the brake is compressed. I think the replacement took me less than 1 hr, other than procuring the materials. There have also been reports of the G3 Ion crampons not working well with the Zeds for some people (well documented here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1). I am pleased to report that this seems to be an issue only for the small footed people, and does not affect me when using 28.5 Technica Zero G Pro Tours. I really like the bindings now that the brake issue is solved.

Anybody know if G3 will be addressing the detaching brake problem before this winter? Or maybe it has already been fixed and I missed it?

Hi, is anyone using the zed 9 bindings? Have you seen the issues with the heel pieces that the older ones had?

If you have both the zed and ion bindings, is one more reliable than the other?

The brake on the Zed has a tendency to detach itself from the binding for some people, although some clever folks have figured out mods to fix this problem. The brake on the Ion is permanently attached