Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

G3 ZED touring binding

Didn't see a thread, nor did I see this in the Gear Rumors thread.

I thought it deserved its own thread...

Has Lee gotten on these yet??

Looks nice.

https://www.wildsnow.com/23680/g3-ze...view-look-new/

sweet. a green ION. I love colour options.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

It's an Ion that weighs the same as a Speed Radical. Pretty sweet if it is durable and you have heel gap related prerelease issues with traditional tech bindings. Otherwise, it's best feature will be its contribution to the continued drop in price of quality touring bindings.

Take note of removable brake.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    It's an Ion that weighs the same as a Speed Radical. Pretty sweet if it is durable and you have heel gap related prerelease issues with traditional tech bindings. Otherwise, it's best feature will be its contribution to the continued drop in price of quality touring bindings.
    removable brakes, lighter than ION, 10mm ski flex and 30mm of heel travel. If durability holds up this could be a winner. I know more than a few here liked the ION better than any dynafit offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    sweet. a green ION. I love colour options.
    well you gotta be able to match the new soft goods colorways right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    removable brakes, lighter than ION, 10mm ski flex and 30mm of heel travel. If durability holds up this could be a winner. I know more than a few here liked the ION better than any dynafit offerings.
    Yeah, I wasn't being facetious. For those folks, this binding with be a great way to save weight without giving up the advantages on the sliding heel. The heel flex thing is real for some folks. But there are lighter bindings. And there are heavier bindings that ski better.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't being facetious. For those folks, this binding with be a great way to save weight without giving up the advantages on the sliding heel. The heel flex thing is real for some folks. But there are lighter bindings. And there are heavier bindings that ski better.
    i do agree though that this is good to see as it will indeed drive prices down. Now...that probably means your favorite lines in the bc might get tracked up faster..lower entry prices mean more people in the BC. #catch22

I wish more manufacturers would make race-style low riser flaps. Having to rotate the heel piece to go from skin->ski is annoying if you can get by with the lower flap only.

But this looks like a higher RV competitor to the enormously popular Speed Radical, and so might do very well. Those Ion toes are sweet. Also a flat ramp angle is cool.

Not sure about color.

Did they use baby poop as inspiration?
    watch out for snakes

Plastic heel post, eh.

Yeah the rad 2 also uses a plastic post,

Vertical & horizontal realease is at least adjustable but not independent of one another
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've asked for a pair to guinea pig. What blackdiamonds said though. It's a lighter simpler Ion. For these classic tech bindings simpler is better. This thing should be looked at wrt to performance/weight compared to Salomon and Atomic Mtn Lab (still the only tech binding in recent history that was problem free from Day 1) as they have brake options

As for all the speculating about plastic. Don't fixate on material. It's how the material is designed and implemented.

I remember all the blathering and nauseating gear fappage over the POS self destructing allmetal Plums. Blah.

And what has the half life of Plutonium? Dynafit Comforts. Which has a decent amount of plastic.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

I remember all the blathering and nauseating gear fappage over the POS self destructing allmetal Plums.
    Plum guide has about as much plastic as the old speed radical that was out back then...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I've asked for a pair to guinea pig. What blackdiamonds said though. It's a lighter simpler Ion. For these classic tech bindings simpler is better. This thing should be looked at wrt to performance/weight compared to Salomon and Atomic Mtn Lab (still the only tech binding in recent history that was problem free from Day 1) as they have brake options

As for all the speculating about plastic. Don't fixate on material. It's how the material is designed and implemented.

I remember all the blathering and nauseating gear fappage over the POS self destructing allmetal Plums. Blah.

And what has the half life of Plutonium? Dynafit Comforts. Which has a decent amount of plastic.

yup all those disintegrating RAD1's are as a result of poor design not the use of plastic

As for the Plum everybody thot they were all metal even the retailer said to me " this Plum is all metal not like those plastic Dynafits" to which I replied actualy Plum are also Plastic its just that the plastic they use is way prettier, walked out leaving him to stare at the binding in his hands which had suddenly disappointed him
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ion toe, lowest tech ramp angle, < 400 grams, brakes...$500 MSRP.

Class of binding is on par with ATK raider 12/Hagen, but these G3 brakes look like they'll actually work and I suspect the toe is more reliable than the mtn lab, though admittedly, I haven't used that binding.

I mean, I'm probably in. I'd put these on a volcano ski/longer missions setup.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

No samples ready till March. So no more hype till then. Binding is for next year

Wildsnow writeup was just premature fappage

Well moar choices is gooder right?

So much Fap
    watch out for snakes

Marketing blurb

Weighing in at just 345 grams, the new ZED binding seamlessly blends
    lightweight uphill capability with the durability and more fully-featured release and
    retention capabilities of a much heavier AT binding. Building upon the simple,
    durable and easy-to-use design of G3’s legendary ION binding, engineers reexamined
    every single part, screw and mechanism to evolve the idea of a fullyfeatured
    binding at the lightest weight possible. The ZED’s toe piece uses unique
    jaw dynamics that absorb up to 50 percent more energy, compared to other tech
    bindings, before releasing. That means skiers can ski confidently in ski mode
    without the fear of prerelease. In addition, the heel turret has fore and aft travel,
    which also allows for more consistent release and retention in the heel. As well,
    the heel turret uses a wide center frame that helps more effectively transfer
    power to the ski and allows for easy installation of optional brakes. Two risers
    offer different heights for climbing.

Also info re new skis, new G3 airbag

The new SEEKr is G3’s latest performance touring ski; a modern, playful ski
    that’s easy to maneuver while maintaining versatility and inspiring confidence at
    speed. The new SEEKr 100, women’s SEEKr 100 Elle, and SEEKr 110 are
    designed for skiers looking for a lightweight, playful ski that excels in soft snow
    as well as across varying conditions. Weighing in at less than 3 pounds per ski
    (110mm in a 164), the SEEKr uses G3’s unique FLYRIDE+ construction, which
    blends four layers of carbon fiber and a poplar/paulownia wood core with G3’s
    polyurethane (PU) sidewalls. PU sidewalls in a ski this light are a unique offering
    from G3, and create a ski that’s light for the uphill but with a damp feel that can
    handle any condition on the down, not just soft snow. A durable nylon top sheet
    helps shed snow and ice.

Finally, G3 is introducing its first fully-featured backcountry pack for the 18/19
    season, including the option for an integrated/removable avalanche airbag safety
    system. The CABRIO 30 is designed for skiers, boarders and other backcountry
    travelers and can be used with or without the Alpride airbag system – one of the
    lightest, simplest and smallest technologies available. The combination makes
    for a great backcountry pack with 30L of functional space for gear. Durable
    construction and a versatile carry system allows users to carry skis and other
    backcountry tools in a variety of configurations.

Fan or canister? If it’s one of the lightest, simplest and it spares me the canister, I’m interested in the pack...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Poke around Wildsnow about the Alpride system. If I remember right, it's the Scott system that uses the little disposable CO2 canisters that road cyclists use. Or canisters that are very very similar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The Alpride packs use a single use set of sealed cartridges (1 argon and 1co2). Looks like about $65 for the replacement set, but not sure if you can fly with them.

You aren't going to find any fan based pack at any sort of decent weight, battery + fan is always going to be fairly heavy unless give the cold operating temps.

Got to fondle a pair yesterday at Golden Alpine Holidays staging. To much stuff going on to talk to the owner. On a set of Findr 110 180cm. They look great, heel piece felt sturdy in hand. I'd like to get some next winter to take an easy 100g off my set up. I don't change vert/horz release values independently of each other anyway, and the skis have IONs on them now so no new holes needed. Also think that toe is the best in the game.

Maybe I missed it, but anyone know the separate weight of the toe and the heel assembly (with and without brake)?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but anyone know the separate weight of the toe and the heel assembly (with and without brake)?
    Just weighed mine.

Heel: 231g
    Toe: 122g
    Brake (110): 79g