Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski Shipping Services

I've been looking into shipping skis next week out to JH since I have no desire to give an absurd amount of money to an airline nor do I trust them enough to put my boots underneath the plane to make it a palatable cost.

So far, I've come across a few services that offer this w/ various costs and guarantees.

Anyone have any experience doing this and advice/recommendations?

Much appreciated.

Boots in carry-on bag?

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I've been looking into shipping skis next week out to JH since I have no desire to give an absurd amount of money to an airline nor do I trust them enough to put my boots underneath the plane to make it a palatable cost.

So far, I've come across a few services that offer this w/ various costs and guarantees.

Anyone have any experience doing this and advice/recommendations?

Much appreciated.
    What absurd amount of money? Most airlines allow ski bag and boots as one checked bag. Free on some airlines.

Just check the skis? It's $50

Yeah what airline? Almost all just charge the regular baggage check fee.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I went to high school with the guy who runs this. He has been doing this style shipping for quite awhile now.
    https://www.luggagefree.com/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 12.32.48 PM.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	220810

To all those questioning why, it's United, and the bag is considered "oversize". It's carrying 2 pairs of skis, 1 is 186cm the other is going to be either 189 or 192cm.

This is their policy
    "Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag. If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply."

The maximum exterior dimension (length + width + height) of standard checked baggage is 62 inches (158 cm), including handles and wheels.
    I've got no desire to put boots underneath the plane, they're my personal item. My ski travel mantra is to always carry enough gear for one day as my carry-on, so that's usually boots+1 pair of baselayers+gloves+snowpants+jacket.

Especially for this trip, I've got a few days in a hut planned so I can't really afford to lose my boots. Skis are easier to deal with.

I've told the airlines I tend to carry other ski gear in my other checked baggage (probe, helmet, shovel, etc.) but it doesn't fly in their eyes (especially in JH).

The last 2 years I've flown with them they've charged $250 per leg ($200 for being oversized, $50 for the checked bag).

At that price I could buy another ticket out there.

It has been several years but I've never been docked oversize fees for skis. Typically skis are still subject to the overweight rules but not to the length rules.

Curious if anyone else has flown United recently and been docked for oversize fees on skis. I have a flight to Canuckistan in a few weeks on United.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It has been several years but I've never been docked oversize fees for skis. Typically skis are still subject to the overweight rules but not to the length rules.
    That has been my experience as well, but it's been a few years since I have flown with skis also.

To all those questioning why, it's United, and the bag is considered "oversize". It's carrying 2 pairs of skis, 1 is 186cm the other is going to be either 189 or 192cm.

This is their policy

I've got no desire to put boots underneath the plane, they're my personal item. My ski travel mantra is to always carry enough gear for one day as my carry-on, so that's usually boots+1 pair of baselayers+gloves+snowpants+jacket.

Especially for this trip, I've got a few days in a hut planned so I can't really afford to lose my boots. Skis are easier to deal with.

I've told the airlines I tend to carry other ski gear in my other checked baggage (probe, helmet, shovel, etc.) but it doesn't fly in their eyes (especially in JH).

The last 2 years I've flown with them they've charged $250 per leg ($200 for being oversized, $50 for the checked bag).

At that price I could buy another ticket out there.
    Wow! I haven't flown with skis in a while. Agreed of course about carry-on boots and anything else you could hopefully ski the first day with.

Have you checked Ship Skis out (https://www.shipskis.com/)? I haven't been through their quote process.

My sympathies to those of y'all flying United, but at least there's pow at the other end.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

If your boots go under, you should be fine.

If you have self-check options, you can usually just claim the bags aren't oversized and pay the normal $50.

Out in JH however, there is no self-check option and the attendants working at the kiosks aren't kind enough to look the other way.

Maybe I just have shit luck with people who know the rules, but the last 2 years this has been what I've experienced.

If your boots go under, you should be fine.

If you have self-check options, you can usually just claim the bags aren't oversized and pay the normal $50.

Out in JH however, there is no self-check option and the attendants working at the kiosks aren't kind enough to look the other way.

Maybe I just have shit luck with people who know the rules, but the last 2 years this has been what I've experienced.
    I have had to explain the rules to airlines before, and carry a copy of the policy. Not all ticket counter staff understand the special circumstances regarding ski gear. Sounds like you may have been unnecessarily shafted in the past to me.

Keep it under 50lbs. and they don’t oversize skis.
    Checking is still usually the way to go.

I'd rather not chance it this time around. If I can avoid $500 in baggage fees and only pay $140-$200 for shipping, I'll take it.

Which leads me back to my original question, anyone use any of the ski shipping services?

Which leads me back to my original question, anyone use any of the ski shipping services?
    Hell no, you are crazy!

fedex is just under 70$ for 4 days. I've done it a couple of times. I've done the 110$ fedex with a bunch of stuff and the skis and it's nice. There is no better/cheaper work-a-round than taking them on the flight. Just meet the weight restriction. I've never been pinched for the length. Over-weight? more than once - no bueno.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    Yeah what airline? Almost all just charge the regular baggage check fee.

Turkish airlines didn't charge for skis and Boots

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    fedex is just under 70$ for 4 days. I've done it a couple of times. I've done the 110$ fedex with a bunch of stuff and the skis and it's nice. There is no better/cheaper work-a-round than taking them on the flight. Just meet the weight restriction. I've never been pinched for the length. Over-weight? more than once - no bueno.
    That's not bad. Did you ship in a box or bag?

To those questioning me, as I said before, maybe I'm the only one who has experienced this bad luck, but it's a $500 mistake if I get another shitty agent.

There was one instance in JH where the woman working the kiosk looked at me, my two bags that held all my ski gear except boots+helmet (and was underweight), and told me it didn't fall under the United guidelines for ski gear as the second bag "was not a boot bag". I even pointed out the fact it held ski gear but she didn't budge. No boots, not a boot bag.

That's not bad. Did you ship in a box or bag?

To those questioning me, as I said before, maybe I'm the only one who has experienced this bad luck, but it's a $500 mistake if I get another shitty agent.

There was one instance in JH where the woman working the kiosk looked at me, my two bags that held all my ski gear except boots+helmet (and was underweight), and told me it didn't fall under the United guidelines for ski gear as the second bag "was not a boot bag". I even pointed out the fact it held ski gear but she didn't budge. No boots, not a boot bag.
    Jeez! You'd think this would happen someplace like St. Louis, and not JH.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Jeez! You'd think this would happen someplace like St. Louis, and not JH.

... Thom
    Yep.

She sounded so proud of herself too. She was like "We get a lot of skiers out here, we know the rules".

I was so pissed at her for that comment too.

Wow. I’ve flown United from DC to SLC for three years and never got dinged. I self check and kind of lean the bag in a way that it doesn’t get weighted, and the guys just grab it. The JH baggage folks sound harsh, given the % of passengers with skis during season, maybe they get wicked supervised?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Wow. I’ve flown United from DC to SLC for three years and never got dinged. I self check and kind of lean the bag in a way that it doesn’t get weighted, and the guys just grab it. The JH baggage folks sound harsh, given the % of passengers with skis during season, maybe they get wicked supervised?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    That could be it.

The self-check method is great, I just only have it for one leg of the trip.

That length restriction of 157 cm is for "standard baggage" NOT for sporting equipment. I just booked with Delta, and for standard baggage they have the same length limitation (157cm), but for skis it says linear dimensions can exceed 80" (203cm) without excess fees.

Here's their policy: "Ski and snowboard equipment are allowed as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm) without excess size charges. All standard baggage charges apply."

You are overthinking this...

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/sports.aspx

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just check a single big ski bag (right at 50#), and carry on roller bag, (small) pack, and your boots. My strategy if the gate agent says it's too many bags is to offer to wear my boots onto the plane with my regular shoes in my pack.

If you get another crummy agent, just ask to speak to her boss. Usually gets you out of it, if you're at the airport early enough.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos