Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 346
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    617
    From Horton Lakes TH it's pretty obvious. You do need a high clearance vehicle to get all the way to the TH where it's gated. Walk up the switchbacks on the old road (after the gate) and when you hit snow just aim for the big drainage between Tom and Basin. There's a few lines back there.

    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Was it obvious how to get to North side of basin mountain?

    Looks like a nice like, might try it on Tuesday.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,050
    Thanks

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    11,687
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    From Horton Lakes TH it's pretty obvious. You do need a high clearance vehicle to get all the way to the TH where it's gated. Walk up the switchbacks on the old road (after the gate) and when you hit snow just aim for the big drainage between Tom and Basin. There's a few lines back there.
    Last Tuesday night (9 days ago) I went up there, checked out the trailhead, made the decision to head up, and went to sleep in bishop. When I woke up I audibled (to myself) that I would head up 168 to see if I could avoid the hour each way off snow. I ended up skinning in three miles to sabrina basin which apparently is where both Hill and Dale reside. Wish I stuck with my original plan
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    20,794
    The hiking part did not look fun, but the rest was tits

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    342
    Daammnn

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    2,031
    Nice work on Big Willy guys!

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Central Valley
    Posts
    2,934
    That's a great shot and a solid effort. Well done.


    Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post

    Summit pano:


  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakeside California
    Posts
    478
    Damn !! My feet hurt just from reading that You guys are fucking pack Mules. Great Work. Great Pics. Great write up

    You could skin from the end of Powerhouse Road last weekend. You could also skin from the parking lot at Onion Valley. OV is holding a lot of snow up high, but that was before today's storm I think it may be raining there now

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    53
    Yeah!

    Hopefully someone was bumping this in the Mammoth Ganjola at the same time you guys were dropping...


    Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    2,534
    Nice AKB and Whatsupdoc! That approach to Williamson is so brutal. Seeing your photos brought back some memories, so I was looking at an old TR of when Enginerd and I did it. I actually just edited that old TR, as I realized I included a topo that made it look like we approached the S. Fork of Bairs as I drew the line in the wrong place, but we definitely went up the N. Fork.

    Now if you want to really take the approach up a notch in sufferfest, do it in ski boots! I made that horrible call, including sketchy rock climbing in them. I absolutely destroyed a pair of boots on that trip....

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    9,667
    Damn, all this fine CA TR-age! Nice work!
    A salud, amor, y paz.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    9,543
    Damn, I knew the Wiliamson approach was supposed to be brutal but didn't realize it was *that* bad. Well done.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    109
    Can anyone confirm that the road is open to VA lakes?
    https://www.monocounty.ca.gov/roads/...-road-closures

    Looking for a partner this Thur/Fri. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Open to anywhere from Rock Creek to VA lakes. Thanks.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mammoth Lakes, Ca
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the road is open to VA lakes?
    https://www.monocounty.ca.gov/roads/...-road-closures

    Looking for a partner this Thur/Fri. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Open to anywhere from Rock Creek to VA lakes. Thanks.
    04/05/2018: The latest on VL Road closure: 2:15 p.m. today.

    Virginia Lakes Road - OPEN: Virginia Lakes Road is open to the Trumbull Lake Campground with no restrictions. County staff will continue to work at opening the parking area for Big Virginia for fishing opener. Please do not park in front of the Road Closed barricade and obey the NO Parking signs. http://virginialakeswater.com/

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In the sewers of Folsom
    Posts
    59
    Wow. Great Job on Williamson guys! thanks to all for the great beta too.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,105
    From last week. Finally got a chute I tried to get twice last year. 2k of walled in goodness (500-700ft feet longer than Emerson/Red Slate. 1500 feet longer counting aprons). As good as anything I've climbed up. It's like Norman Clyde steepness but twice as long and snaky. Maybe a few degrees less in some spots, but a steepness that would make it insanely fun and fast in pow. Oh, and there's a bonus 1500 foot apron at the bottom. You all have google maps. Should take you less than 5 minutes to figure out where it is. It makes it more fun

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00275.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	231785

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00274.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	231786

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00284.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	231784

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00279.jpg 
Views:	665 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	231787

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tahoe City
    Posts
    555
    that's a beauty - noice!
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Central Valley
    Posts
    2,934
    Hot damn.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    From last week. Finally got a chute I tried to get twice last year. 2k of walled in goodness (500-700ft feet longer than Emerson/Red Slate. 1500 feet longer counting aprons). As good as anything I've climbed up. It's like Norman Clyde steepness but twice as long and snaky. Maybe a few degrees less in some spots, but a steepness that would make it insanely fun and fast in pow. Oh, and there's a bonus 1500 foot apron at the bottom. You all have google maps. Should take you less than 5 minutes to figure out where it is. It makes it more fun

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00275.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	231785

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00274.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	231786

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00284.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	231784

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00279.jpg 
Views:	665 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	231787
    Since I'm staying at Benton hot springs, no Google maps or Earth.

    Any hints?

    Would like to do it on Thursday.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    You all have google maps. Should take you less than 5 minutes to figure out where it is. It makes it more fun
    I'll bite. looks set east of the crest, near big pine. I'll guess Tinnemaha?

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    135
    Maybe this line you can apparently see from the International Space Station?
    https://goo.gl/maps/iE3biWYhjp92

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    11,687
    I'm going with Birch. The walls are bigger and it's more curvy, plus the same view of White
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir//37....m1!3e2!5m1!1e4
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,105
    powdork wins a beer

    (wear a helmet. this thing rains ice pellets...sometimes big ones)

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    135
    damn i was only 2.3 miles away and that was my next guess! great line btw, nicely done.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tahoe City
    Posts
    555
    i was way off, was looking too north, lining up for a sat/sunday. was thinking buttermilks but seeing the above and that there's snow in onion valley i'm tempted to go further south
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •